Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inca trail need advice

Options
  • 03-10-2009 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

hi everyone,
    im doing the inca trail with my GF in november. i know porters are provided but there is a weight limit just wondering has any one done the trail at this time of year and can anyone advise me on what to bring to carry myself. im pretty fit so don't mind carrying a bit of weight but need to keep what the gf's carrying as small as possible. also if anyone can tell me what the weather might be like that would be great

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Afaik it will be cold at night, probably below freezing so get a good sleeping bag, something thats comfy down to -18c should see you right. I sleep in mine all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tingri

Porters are provided to carry the tents, food, etc, ie the communal stuff, unless you specifically ask and pay for a porter to carry your stuff, you will have to carry the following -
    two sets of clothes, gloves, hat, water bottle (useful to have a platypus or nalgene), your own sleeping bag, and possibly the sleeping mat which may be provided by the company, water proof jacket (its coming into the rainy season now), toilet paper (essential), sandals (handy for the evenings).
    If you decided not to use porters to carry your personal stuff when you booked, then you may have a choice to book a porter for the second day, which is the hardest, so if your gf is finding it difficult on that day, she can opt to have a porter carry her stuff for that day only.
    As mentioned above, a good sleeping bag is needed for the cold nights.
    One more thing, if you don't have a decent rainproof jacket, you can get a poncho on the way for next to nothing, it's light and will protect you and your backpack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Aqua_01

I agree with the other guys, but don't forget that you & your gf will be carrying a whole day supply of water too. I would really recommend to pay for the porter for your girlfriend, at least for Day 2 which is the most difficult one. You can haggle with the porters on site and they are quite cheap. Also a mosquito repellent would be handy and you can buy a cheap walking stick at the beggining of the trail. The trail can be quite slippery in the rain but it's a great fun and it's really worth doing it.

Advertisement