Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 10. Your first impressions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Crunkussion

Just played my first online game there and it went to penalties, on the last pen the game froze (I could still open the mini-dashboard) and after 5 minutes I had to return to the main Xbox screen which gave me a DNF of 100%.

Really annoying :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Rainyface

Have played about 5 games - lost 4, won 1.
    Does anyone know what the story is wuth custom tactics? It allows me to set it up in team management but I cant seem to turn it on in the online matches... Very different to 09 - Also finding it hard to find a good formation... Any tips? playing with Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Axwell wrote: »
    My only gripe is that they removed the custom tactics from the game, it will make things interesting in the league though. Was expecting everyone to pick Real Madrid anyways so thats not suprising and not having to many problems with quitters..yet.

Still there. Just got to go into team management in the main menu.

Got it today. Played 5 or 6 games so far. really enjoying it. Won all my games so far. Doubt that will last :p Havent had a quitter yet. good stuff.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Kirby wrote: »
    Still there. Just got to go into team management in the main menu.

Got it today. Played 5 or 6 games so far. really enjoying it. Won all my games so far. Doubt that will last :p Havent had a quitter yet. good stuff.

No its not, yes you can go in there and make custom tactics but when you go online to play them there isnt an option to go into custom tactics and select whichever one you want so its not part of the online gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I love this game.

I can't understand how you'd think the Graphics and AI are poor. I think they're much improved.

Also, I'm led to believe you can qualify for Europe with League of Ireland teams :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That_Guy wrote: »
    Was just checking out the FIFA 10 store there and it's ridiculous that you have to pay for MS points in order to get Italian, German, Spanish etc commentary. Ridiculous.

Im pretty sure thats just localisation. For example, In italy you probably have italian commentary as default and have to download english.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Kirby wrote: »
    I don't mean to come off like a twat, but your definition of "good player" may be a bit off.

No good player concedes eleven goals on a regular basis. A few high scoring matches are expected....because that happens in real football. Somebody usually gets a 7-1 pasting throughout the season in the Premier League.

But that won't happen every game in fifa and if it is, you aren't playing against good players. I conceded 18 goals in 32 games in the boards league last season. Thats one goal every two games. I'm a mediocre player. There are better players than me out there who concede less.

It sounds like you and your friend are new to the game and aren't very good yet. Thats not the games fault. Practice some more and I'm sure your games will be more competitive.

No it doesnt high scoring games are 4-3 not 11-10 :confused:

FIFA has some serious issues as a game but yet people proclaim it to be awesome, i dont get that. i have played it again tonight (not a newbie btw quite good at football games). I play a 451 with 2 very wide and very attacking wingers albeit Pats players and its irrelevant how good they are. Come up against a defender and rock scissors paper kicks in i cant draw one out to play in another i go in and one of us will win the ball. i cant skin him as the game doesnt cater for that. i play possesion football i will always have all the ball but its irrelevant cos the one time you need to skin a player to create the space the game decides who wins and loses not me with some ability. Skill is not rewarded stats are.

i can hold onto the ball for 44 minutes and yet still be 4-0 down cos he can score from 40 yards with one button press.

if this was a fighting game he would be Ryu and i would be ****ing barbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Played 8 games online today, no quitters and very little lag.

Unranked:
    • Lost 2-1
    • Won 2-0
    • Won 1-0 (aet)
    • Drew 0-0 (lost on penos)
    • Lost 5-0

Ranked:
    • Won 2-0

Some guy from a Party i was invited into:
    • Won 12-2
    • Won 8-0

Anyway i'm really enjoying it online.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Would it be better if you won all the time even if your playing as Pats and he is playing as Barca just cause in your opinion you are a better player. You played Barca vs United and he beat you, you can't much fairer than that maybe you are good at PES or whatever and not that good at FIFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Would it be better if you won all the time even if your playing as Pats and he is playing as Barca just cause in your opinion you are a better player. You played Barca vs United and he beat you, you can't much fairer than that maybe you are good at PES or whatever and not that good at FIFA.

Think your missing the point of the "no skill involved" part of the game. If you cant skin a good stat player with another no stat player there is something fundementally wrong with the game. Skinning is skinning its a flick of a thumb or/and a press of a button not Ferdinand is 80 socan take the ball of Quigley who is 40 every ****ing time cos i have no available option to evade the tackle. its a game so there has to be a degree of skill involved not predrawn stats.

Nearly sure i played you in PES 5/6 and you won, if it was you that is perfect proof of winning with skill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Think your missing the point of the "no skill involved" part of the game. If you cant skin a good stat player with another no stat player there is something fundementally wrong with the game. Skinning is skinning its a flick of a thumb or/and a press of a button not Ferdinand is 80 socan take the ball of Quigley who is 40 every ****ing time cos i have no available option to evade the tackle. its a game so there has to be a degree of skill involved not predrawn stats.

Nearly sure i played you in PES 5/6 and you won, if it was you that is perfect proof of winning with skill.

Eh, no...There's something fundamentally wrong with your tactics. Ferdinand has 80 stats for tacklimg compared to your players low stats in key areas - strength, reaction, balance, etc. Of course he's going to win that head to head. Do you know how you beat that? Pass and move. That's the option to evade the tackle. Or get amazing at skill moves. But there's a reason why Ferdinand is at Manchester United earning millions.....and Quigley is not.

I also find it funny that you complain about high scoring games...but yet you want a League of Ireland player to be able to bypass some of the best defenders in the Premier League.

If you want realism, play FIFA. If you want to know that you are playing a game where stats, etc don't matter, play Sensible Soccer.

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

joe123 wrote: »
    Id have to agree with Kirby here. Not saying either of you are bad at the game or anything but from my experience is that generally if your good at the game you should be able to have pretty consistent scorelines.

A good example is the boards league we play. I won the boards league with the last picked team out of 18. Fiorentina are a good side id admit but out of the 32 games I played I lost once and drew 3 i think it was which is fairly consistent....which makes the game fairly consistent.

And online quality can really vary. You can play someone whos new to the game and beat them 7-0 then youl play someone whos good and really struggle. Ive had a lot of low scoring games. Biggest beating I got was 4-0.

Bit of practice should stop the inconsistency.

Agree with this here. If you look at the Premiership American Football scores are few and far between and most scores are fairly realistic. I got battered 12-2 once but only because (and it's been said here) I dropped my head and gave up effectively at 3-1 down. Just wasn't in the mood

Without offending, I'd say it's more about quality or acclimatising to the new game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Far too many flaws I reckon. Kinda dissapointed with it to be honest. Din't ave the wow factor I thought it'd have.

• Keepers are crap.
    • Some very strange ratings
    • Looping crosses go in all the time.
    • The computer scores 9/10 free kicks with 25 yards of the goal. (absolute joke)
    • Doncaster on World Class beat me 6-0 (2 free kicks in this game alone btw) when I'm Watford seemed a bit too crazy for my liking

Ah I duno, seems to be missing something somewhere!? :(

Anyone else or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It's a crap Fifa 09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Ill admit the crossing seems a bit too acurate and fast at the moment, and could turn into an exploit, i.e. people keep going down wing and crossing, and the free kicks seems ALOT easier to score this year but i disagree with the rest. I think the keepers are FAR better now for example.

As most people said, theres no really major new additions this year, just tweaking and tuning, but its still far better than PES now... in my opinion.

Give it time you may grow to like it. Try out all the features as theres loads in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I love this game.

I can't understand how you'd think the Graphics and AI are poor. I think they're much improved.

Also, I'm led to believe you can qualify for Europe with League of Ireland teams :D

Let us know how you do.

Keepers are much better imo. I'll agree that the crosses are a bit ridiculous but other than that it's good.
    It's not as good as magazine or online reviews would suggest but it's a step in the right direction.
    Much quicker than last year. Oh and the ratings for some players are very questionable.
    You'd have to wonder where they're pulling these numbers from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

keepers are a bit worse than last year although they cut out breakaways very well.

Played my first online match yesterday. Lost 4-0 to Villa. I was Dundalk.

You can't go far wrong with one shot on target. :D

The lad I played against sent me a voice message thanking me for not quitting like some people do when they're losing.

So in a way, I'm the true winner here. I need more practice I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

yup kirby is right, i have had loads of great games with him and most of them are decided by a goal or 2, with numerous 0-0 draws, and there is the ocasional pasting in there too. Its just like real football think of how many games of fifa you will be playing, compared to how many games are played in a season. Since you more then likely play more matches in fifa, there are bound to be more pastings.

• Advertisement

Played my first online match yesterday. Lost 4-0 to Villa. I was Dundalk.

You can't go far wrong with one shot on target. :D

The lad I played against sent me a voice message thanking me for not quitting like some people do when they're losing.

So in a way, I'm the true winner here. I need more practice I think.

You need to pick a better team tbh.

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    You need to pick a better team tbh.

Randomise FTW. Ah yeah I do need to pick a better team alright. I was just looking for the achievement. :)

Out of curiosity if your opponent quits does it still count as a win to you, should you be winning at the time of course?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭SilverFox261

Imo the keepers are better this year. Definately more realistic than in previous games. I think while the overall ratings are a bit off, there seems to be more focus on indivisual stats then the overall rating of a player.

I agree with the comments about the computers ridiculously high scoring rate from frees though. Its a bit unbalanced when they take a perfect free kick every time. But with some practice i'm hoping they will be as easy to score when I take them myself so it may balance out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Keepers are better, it's also alot harder to score a rebound since you know the keeper wont just hit it out infront of you. Ball goes everywhere

Keepers are much much better this year. It was alot easier to score on the keeper last year but this year unless you hit it perfect the keeper will save it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Keepers and defenders are much better. They go out all out to stop the ball. Free kicks are defo easier to score, I have scored 5 already, yet I have only ever scored 2 in 09!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Randomise FTW. Ah yeah I do need to pick a better team alright. I was just looking for the achievement. :)

Out of curiosity if your opponent quits does it still count as a win to you, should you be winning at the time of course?

Yep, some lad quit on me on my first online game and I got the win.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You get a 3-0 win for an opponent quitting, unless the score is higher than that in which case you get the the win with that scoreline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

SRFC90 wrote: »
    Far too many flaws I reckon. Kinda dissapointed with it to be honest. Din't ave the wow factor I thought it'd have.

• Keepers are crap.
    • Some very strange ratings
    • Looping crosses go in all the time.
    • The computer scores 9/10 free kicks with 25 yards of the goal. (absolute joke)
    • Doncaster on World Class beat me 6-0 (2 free kicks in this game alone btw) when I'm Watford seemed a bit too crazy for my liking

Ah I duno, seems to be missing something somewhere!? :(

Anyone else or is it just me?

Ah, SRFC90. I know who you are now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Rented it out for the week from xtra vision yesterday as I thought the demo was too similar to Fifa09 to warrant a full purchase. IMO it suffers from the same problems, no player individuality, most goals scored are the same, the unrealistic 40-50 yard goal is still there if you apply the finesse shot, but my biggest gripe is the longevity, already I find myself being a bit bored with it and I couldn't see myself playing it in two or three months time. Decent football game though probably give it a 6 out of 10 on first impressions but no where near the reviews it is getting IMO, and I think that maybe reflected by others once the "gloss" wears off it in a month or so.

This. PES still is well ahead in this regard with their special ability/ special ability cards feature for players.

Advertisement