Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 10. Your first impressions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I found shooting more difficult. Never seem to get on target unless very close to goal.

Any shooting tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Use finesse shooting. Or change to semi-assisted for more control.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Fcukin refs...I have a corner and Henry headed it off the crossbar..behind the line and back out.
    You can see from the replay that the whole ball is completely behind the line by about a foot and it's not given.. bastards...obviously some bug in the demo...I'm trying my best now to replicate it in the full game to see if they fixed it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭twilightsection

Fifa 09 is good and bad. Presentation is very slick and gameplay is very good to pull your hair out frustrating. It is so hard to get used to. I have won 8 and lost 22 online. I have lost all of those 22 games by a single goal.

Its difficult to score with heavy emphasis placed on the r1 button when shooting. Blasting into the top corner seems to be a thing of the past - when you try to do that 9 times out of 10 your gonna blast it into row Z. There also seems to be a heavy emphasis on defense as I find it harder to create chances. Its harder to hit teams on the break too.

It can be very hard to control your players as this new 360 thing gives you a little bit too much control which results in players almost skating across the park.

Player selection is also a bit of a joke too - its not fast enough.

There are also a few bugs too - when you are online and the severs fail to match you with anyone your thrown out of the online menu and back to the main menu which requires you to go back into the online menu manually..ok if it happens once but gets annoying if it happens more than that..

Tyler keeps saying "Bergkamp" for some strange reason when I play with Liverpool..

Also the thing that annoys me the most is this: The team has a tendancy to play the attacking team onside with at least one of the defenders hugging a line near to the penalty spot anytime your opponents team is on the attack..so annoying if it happens to be your left or right winger playing them onside when a ball is played thru your defence..you have no chance...

You cant make any changes to your teams mentality or strategy during the game unless you have the ball..which is so annoying.

These things are really annoying me about it at the moment but maybe its just a period of transition.

They never got rid of the "EA will now check if you have the latest squad updates.." spiel everytime you select Ranked Match - why do we even need to see that screen? So annoying.

Its a love/ hate relationship at the minute and maybe that has got to do with losing so many games by a single goal!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Fifa 10 is good and bad.
    Fyp mate ;).

• Advertisement

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Fyp mate ;).

Old habits..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Fyp mate ;).

U missed a golden opportunity there...should have told him to try the free upgrade to Fifa 10 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

My gripes so far:
    Shooting / Clearing - The player is usually happy to try and control a ball (usually when you just want them to lash a body part at it!) and then others where you play a nice pass through, hit shoot so that it's powered for when they get to the ball (so they hit it before the keeper floors them!) but they lunge at it instead, thus putting no power / accuracy on it. Hit 'pass' and 99% of the time they will do the right thing (but not what you need in the event of mashed clearance or timed shot)

Commentary - still terrible. Some random lines appearing where they really shouldn't (wrong scorelines and everything!). Using some phrases and quips from '09. Still terrible.

Overall I am happy with the game. Resembles football in many ways - reffing inconsistencies, dodgy passing at times (though I should upgrade from my Manager Mode of Gillingham :D), close games (had an epic 4-3 last minute penalty win against the AI) and so on.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    My gripes so far:
    Shooting / Clearing - The player is usually happy to try and control a ball (usually when you just want them to lash a body part at it!) and then others where you play a nice pass through, hit shoot so that it's powered for when they get to the ball (so they hit it before the keeper floors them!) but they lunge at it instead, thus putting no power / accuracy on it. Hit 'pass' and 99% of the time they will do the right thing (but not what you need in the event of mashed clearance or timed shot)

Definitely agree with that. So annoying when you press clear, which seems to be timed perfectly, but the defender instead chests the ball down when he's under real pressure in his own box.

I was really havin' a hard time with this game in Manager Mode to start with. I went ahead and played Legendary straight away as I like a challenge and realistic scores. And I had played FIFA 09 on Legendary for the last year and found it rather easy still. But playing Legendary in FIFA10 I got sacked by Arsenal after just 8 games! heh

So I dropped down to World Class to get the hang of it. And it seems to have worked. You know how you can't really describe what it is you're doing differently, but you just feel it, and can create a lot more chances? Whereas at a point before you make this step up. it really feels like you will never know how to create a chance ever again? Well I've made that step up thank god. It was starting to get really really frustrating.

One major gripe that really boils my blood is the last 5 minutes if you're behind. No matter what team you're playing, they tend to turn into Brazil. Some of the best passing and keeping of the ball you're likely to see. Really frustrating when it's somebody like Stoke, and you're Arsenal trying to get one more chance to get the equalizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Found a really annoying glitch in manager mode, the overall value of players on the subs bench drop when you put them into the team. e.g. before the game i moved van der sar (who was 83 overall) into the team, then his value drops to 75???

I've also noticed the overall rating drops for all players once the match starts, e.g. berbatov 90-> 80, rooney 91->82

Anyone know why this is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I dont know what to make of fifa 10 this year after having played a lot of it. I only ever play online matches in it but its wierd. It feels like in some games your meant to loose and others everything just works.

I went on a ten game loosing streak with Liverpool and I was getting absolutely hammerd in some of the games. I was liverpool for every match and granted I was playing alot of Barcas/inters and mardrids but still I was getting torn apart.

It felt like things were going wrong on purpose like players giving stray passes or shots going really wide. I CANNOT score one on ones in this game. Torres shooting (for me) is terrible.

So I picked Chelsea for a match to see if I had actually become **** at the game.....I bet some guy who was Barcelona 10-1 and won my next match with ease 3-0 against a Madrid player.

So either Liverpools formation/settings/team are **** in the game....or the game doesnt like Liverpool winning :p

Any other Liverpool players out there? Are you struggling with them and does Torres seem a bit **** in the game? Because thats the way it seems to me.

joe123 wrote: »
    I went on a ten game loosing streak with Liverpool and I was getting absolutely hammerd in some of the games. I was liverpool for every match and granted I was playing alot of Barcas/inters and mardrids but still I was getting torn apart.

I CANNOT score one on ones in this game. Torres shooting (for me) is terrible.

Any other Liverpool players out there? Are you struggling with them and does Torres seem a bit **** in the game? Because thats the way it seems to me.

I have exactly the same problem with Liverpool - have lost over 20 games by a single goal and most of these are after I take a on nil lead. Very frustrating. The emphasis is placed on R1 for one one ones - or else a poke under the keepers body. See my previous post about Liverpool defenders playing the attacking team onside. Joypad nearly hit the wall on a number of occasions.

Also you cant seem to beat players with pace alone anymore - a slow defender can still catch up with Torres no matter what their acceleration rate.

Fifa 09 is good and bad. Presentation is very slick and gameplay is very good to pull your hair out frustrating. It is so hard to get used to. I have won 8 and lost 22 online. I have lost all of those 22 games by a single goal.

Its difficult to score with heavy emphasis placed on the r1 button when shooting. Blasting into the top corner seems to be a thing of the past - when you try to do that 9 times out of 10 your gonna blast it into row Z. There also seems to be a heavy emphasis on defense as I find it harder to create chances. Its harder to hit teams on the break too.

It can be very hard to control your players as this new 360 thing gives you a little bit too much control which results in players almost skating across the park.

Player selection is also a bit of a joke too - its not fast enough.

There are also a few bugs too - when you are online and the severs fail to match you with anyone your thrown out of the online menu and back to the main menu which requires you to go back into the online menu manually..ok if it happens once but gets annoying if it happens more than that..

Tyler keeps saying "Bergkamp" for some strange reason when I play with Liverpool..

Also the thing that annoys me the most is this: The team has a tendancy to play the attacking team onside with at least one of the defenders hugging a line near to the penalty spot anytime your opponents team is on the attack..so annoying if it happens to be your left or right winger playing them onside when a ball is played thru your defence..you have no chance...

You cant make any changes to your teams mentality or strategy during the game unless you have the ball..which is so annoying.

These things are really annoying me about it at the moment but maybe its just a period of transition.

They never got rid of the "EA will now check if you have the latest squad updates.." spiel everytime you select Ranked Match - why do we even need to see that screen? So annoying.

Its a love/ hate relationship at the minute and maybe that has got to do with losing so many games by a single goal!!!!

You only posted about the 'bad' bits :confused:

You only posted about the 'bad' bits :confused:

Exactly! Im talking about my first impressions..I have the game almost a week now and my opinion has not changed. All my mates online have been saying the same thing about the game. None of them seem to be enjoying it either. Maybe its a just a period of transition but things had better start clicking soon..

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Commentary - still terrible. Some random lines appearing where they really shouldn't (wrong scorelines and everything!). Using some phrases and quips from '09. Still terrible.

Rarely noticed anything totally wrong to be honest. Saying it's terrible is just being silly as it's just not that bad. And I hate Tyler and Gray fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Off-line, on professional, it is a pretty good game. The dribbling is more fluid than 09, the CPU act like real players and intercept sloppy passes and most of the time it's pass around them 'cause you can't just dribble past them, scoring from headers is hard(on semi-pro its stupidly easy), and off the ball player movement is class. The finesse shot isn't as precise as 09 so it doesn't go in every time you use it. The chip shot has been improved hugely(you can now use it even when you aren't running perpendicular to the goal line. I scored a lovely goal with a defender on my shoulder with drogba at the edge of box running diagonal across the pitch). In manager mode it is easier to sign players, there are no stupid fees when you're playing 50mil for an 18mil player. Overall it is a v. good game. I have beat l'pool with chelsea, but only with a late goal, i've drawn with birmingham with chelsea and I've lost to Sunderland 2-0. All on professional. Ok I'm still top of league at end of october in manager mode but only by a point over arsenal and I had to work for it. I don't understand how people can say its sh*t. It is a big improvement over other years and it is a lot more fun to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Yea I have to agree I really like the game. Its similar to 09 with better additions and fixes which is exactly what I would have wanted. Can't see why so many people saying it terrible.

And I used to always be a pro evo man, up until last year, and this year I'm not even tempted to see what the new pro evo is like. I'm completely happy with fifa 10 :D

Roll on a good year of ffia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Dammit I want my Andy Townsend commentary, I'll pay good money!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Rarely noticed anything totally wrong to be honest. Saying it's terrible is just being silly as it's just not that bad.
    When you do the robot, the commentators mention it and even say "peter crouch is to blame for this, he started it all with the robot" which i think is a very nice touch:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Still a few glitches I noticed in it getting annoying, I was playing as Liverpool and beat someone (Pretty sure it was Fulham) but after the match the Liverpool players are celebrating and patting each other on the back etc, and the Fulham players are in the background sitting down dismayed then the screen went black for a split second and the roles were reversed the Fulham were celebrating

I have noticed this a couple of times its not a major deal or anything just a bit annoying.

P.S. I never have the sound on so commentary dosn't bother me :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Still a few glitches I noticed in it getting annoying, I was playing as Liverpool and beat someone (Pretty sure it was Fulham) but after the match the Liverpool players are celebrating and patting each other on the back etc, and the Fulham players are in the background sitting down dismayed then the screen went black for a split second and the roles were reversed the Fulham were celebrating

I have noticed this a couple of times its not a major deal or anything just a bit annoying.

Yea I noticed that too about the celebrating. One second they are delighted next they're sitting on the ground sulking! Make your mind up!!

Again as you said its only a minor thing that doesn't really effect me, but would be nice to have all these little things perfect at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

So I bought it, 35 quid in Tescos... best Fifa game I played since 98, still all a bit meh though. Give it 7.5/10, its a bit cinematic and "SKY SPORTS IN YOUR FACE" if ya get what I'm trying to say. Dribbling is poor and the goalkeepers and Centre halves are jokes. AI isn't great at all in those two areas.

I dont think I'll ever find as decent football game as Pro Evo 4 or ISS Deluxe. Not expecting much from pro evo after that muck of a demo they brought out

Go back and play Pro Evo 4 and you'll see so much wrong with it. I went back and played PES6 for a while and it was my favourite game up until this year. The old game had flaws. The new games have flaws. It happens.

You're the first I've come across to say that the dribbling is poor. It's so much better than last year with the 360 degree aspect of it. What you probably mean is that it's hard to dribble by players - just like in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Go back and play Pro Evo 4 and you'll see so much wrong with it.

Yes but it moved on footy gaming so much, as did ISS deluxe even moreso... Fifa has improved since 07 but both with Pro Evo and FIFA the past 3 years or so have been a change here and a change there. Major meh factor with pro evo past 2 years. Same feeling this year with Fifa.

You're the first I've come across to say that the dribbling is poor. It's so much better than last year with the 360 degree aspect of it. What you probably mean is that it's hard to dribble by players - just like in real life.

I didnt play much of fifa09, didnt really like it that much. I do like this version more, it doesnt keep me going back for more and more but its not a bad game. If you scroll down I'm not the only one finding the dirbbling difficult, harder than real life imo. I'm just new to it though it might come with time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Is there a button that goes straight to the Replay without having them stupid celebrations having to be done?

Im finding myself running into the goalmouth to get the replay showing.

And idiots online when they score against you running over to corner flags or around the pitch without getting on with the bloody game. :mad:

My biggest gripe so far.

LB + RB skips that

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I'm with Trilla here, don't like the dribbling at all. Read on a few forums too, you seem to have to use tricks to get past people.
    Also, the sky sports type stuff is a pain. Do you have to watch rooney scoring every time you turn on the game? Must be sickening for everton fans!
    After reading all the amazing reviews, I think this will go down as the most over rated game of all time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭gary nevillevil

I think this will go down as the most over rated game of all time![/QUOTE]

100% agree on this, as i really don't understand why a lot of people think its the bees and ees :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

need to play more of it but losing the custom tactics for online is massively disappointing. shooting is all over the place too, cant seem to direct non-finesse shots very well but some finesse shots are ridculiously easy. ive got some absolute pissers in the net in this game.

I dont know, i dont think the leagues will be as much fun this year.

• Advertisement

Rarely noticed anything totally wrong to be honest. Saying it's terrible is just being silly as it's just not that bad. And I hate Tyler and Gray fwiw.

Perhaps "terrible" is a touch too far - but I had just played about ten games with any offside getting the quip "It was a scoring chance had the flag stayed down". Oh really Andy? And how would he have gotten that chance...oh yes, by being offside! :)

Still really enjoying it. Played a few 1v1's against a friend there. Really good stuff - some great football, some bizarre goals, some scraps. All in all, just pure enjoyment! Little to seperate the sides which makes it so much better!

🤪

Advertisement