Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 10. Your first impressions.

Options
1235»

Comments

I'm marginally disappointed with the game, i was a lot happier with the demo build, i think they made some poor final touches to the game.

Defending is made to difficult by the free movement of players, while this works great when you have the ball it makes controlling a defender erratic at times, jockeying no longer holds your player in position and it's very easy to end up the wrong side of the striker with the smallest of touches, also while the new animations for players trying to block passes looks good, it means 90% of the time a telegraphed pass meets it's target, Noobs can now one touch pass the ball in the most predictable sequences and there's nothing you can do about it.

The shooting is disastrous, i don't know what they were trying to achieve with it, but they really messed up, if your running at goal unless you aim for the nearest side you won't score,
    Players miss sitters often, lost count of the amount of times a world class player couldn't even hit the target from 5 yards,
    I think i've hit the post close to once a game

long range efforts? you don't get the space to hit them anymore.

Last season saw fouls from pressuring an opponent properly introduced, i think they had it spot on last year.
    But because FK's around the box are (WAY) too easy, they can make or break a match nw. this has worked in my favour more often then not, but they're a bit harsh tbh, it's not like you fouled him yourself and it's a goal every time around the box, I've even banged in some long range ones.

Now i know what someone will try post ''Your just not good at the game''.... well sorry i am, i'm 3rd in Ireland on the PS3 at the minute and have a record of roughly 60-9-20, so no sour grapes here. I just think they made some minor changes that took away from the game.

Don't get me wrong i still like it and will be playing it for months to come, but i just think their final touches which they taught would make it realistic just spoiled the game

With some minor changes to the shooting, passes going through players waiting to intercept an obvious pass, more space around the box(custom tactics might sort this out), less free's for pressure tackling, FK's not based on hitting a particular piece of a green bar(which is too easy and the same every time) this would have got a 10/10 from me, it's NEARLY the perfect game in my eyes, they just made some small changes to the final build that make it more of a toss of a coin then actual skill

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

they just made some small changes to the final build that make it more of a toss of a coin then actual skill

Doesn't that make you lucky more than good and thus nullify your point about being 3rd in Ireland on PS3? ;):D

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    need to play more of it but losing the custom tactics for online is massively disappointing. shooting is all over the place too, cant seem to direct non-finesse shots very well but some finesse shots are ridculiously easy. ive got some absolute pissers in the net in this game.

I dont know, i dont think the leagues will be as much fun this year.

Custom tactics are still in it. Just go to team management and create your tactics then use that as your formation on the screen where you can change your formations.

Its what i HAD to do with Liverpool as their default formation is terrible. With your wing backs always playing people onside and Torres being completely isolated.

Still think players miss far too many chances in the game this year that really should be going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

I'm marginally disappointed with the game, i was a lot happier with the demo build, i think they made some poor final touches to the game.

Defending is made to difficult by the free movement of players, while this works great when you have the ball it makes controlling a defender erratic at times, jockeying no longer holds your player in position and it's very easy to end up the wrong side of the striker with the smallest of touches, also while the new animations for players trying to block passes looks good, it means 90% of the time a telegraphed pass meets it's target, Noobs can now one touch pass the ball in the most predictable sequences and there's nothing you can do about it.

The shooting is disastrous, i don't know what they were trying to achieve with it, but they really messed up, if your running at goal unless you aim for the nearest side you won't score,
    Players miss sitters often, lost count of the amount of times a world class player couldn't even hit the target from 5 yards,
    I think i've hit the post close to once a game

long range efforts? you don't get the space to hit them anymore.

Last season saw fouls from pressuring an opponent properly introduced, i think they had it spot on last year.
    But because FK's around the box are (WAY) too easy, they can make or break a match nw. this has worked in my favour more often then not, but they're a bit harsh tbh, it's not like you fouled him yourself and it's a goal every time around the box, I've even banged in some long range ones.

Now i know what someone will try post ''Your just not good at the game''.... well sorry i am, i'm 3rd in Ireland on the PS3 at the minute and have a record of roughly 60-9-20, so no sour grapes here. I just think they made some minor changes that took away from the game.

Don't get me wrong i still like it and will be playing it for months to come, but i just think their final touches which they taught would make it realistic just spoiled the game

With some minor changes to the shooting, passes going through players waiting to intercept an obvious pass, more space around the box(custom tactics might sort this out), less free's for pressure tackling, FK's not based on hitting a particular piece of a green bar(which is too easy and the same every time) this would have got a 10/10 from me, it's NEARLY the perfect game in my eyes, they just made some small changes to the final build that make it more of a toss of a coin then actual skill
    This explains everything I dont like about the game aswell. A couple of times in a game when Ive had a 1 goal lead and I defend and defend, I end nicking the ball of them at the edge of the box on the 90th min and they give a free kick. Free kicks from close are like penaltys nw its nearly harder to miss. They feel deadly when u get it right but there too easy plus the fact the refs are alot stricter.
    I also dont understand how ur able to move the wall left with L2 but not move it back with the R2?????Ridicolous! Or am I doing something wrong??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

if your configuration is different then moving the wall will be different, i have to use LB+RT to move the wall left and right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

joe123 wrote: »
    Custom tactics are still in it. Just go to team management and create your tactics then use that as your formation on the screen where you can change your formations.

Thats pretty much useless though compared to the way it was last year. That only allows you set a custom tactic up as the default for a particular formation. When you go online you cant swap between custom tactics in a game depending on how its going which was the purpose of them in the first place. So in reality they are pretty much non existant as part of the online or league play.

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Doesn't that make you lucky more than good and thus nullify your point about being 3rd in Ireland on PS3? ;):D

Not really, i went on a 42/43 match streak at the start of FIFA 09 and was highly ranked all year in around the 800-1000 mark. That was because 09 was all about discipline, holding your defenders in position, blocking the obvious passes, even though i'm higher ranked thus far in 10 i'd consider myself a hell of a lot better at 09.

While i am winning, i'm not winning like i should, i'd have hammered a lot of these lads in 09 but with the various elements i've mentioned i'm only scraping to the wins.
    GerCPM wrote: »
    This explains everything I dont like about the game aswell. A couple of times in a game when Ive had a 1 goal lead and I defend and defend, I end nicking the ball of them at the edge of the box on the 90th min and they give a free kick. Free kicks from close are like penaltys nw its nearly harder to miss. They feel deadly when u get it right but there too easy plus the fact the refs are alot stricter.
    I also dont understand how ur able to move the wall left with L2 but not move it back with the R2?????Ridicolous! Or am I doing something wrong??:confused:

The FK's in 09 were next to impossible, i think i scored 3 or 4. I've lost count of the amount i've scored this year, i've had 3 crackers from distance and scored around 3 out of every 4 from around the box.... and i only practised them for FIVE mins in training. NEVER use the driven shot either, unless you don't plan on going the same side as the wall, just add more power from distanc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

I think the game is pretty diabolical to be honest. The defending is an absolute mess compared to last year. Time after time my "wing backs" just stand still like bricks whilst my centre backs charge forward like idiots leaving Benzema ( Who I find myself playing in EVERY GAME) running through on goal in an onside position. Last year I was ranked in the top thousand. This year I can't see my self being ranked in the top million. I seem to finish nearly every game with about 60% possession, most shots etc but lose to players who just cut my defence open with one through ball. I can see it coming a mile away (which makes it more annoying) but I don't seem to have control over my defences positioning like I did last year.

Its seems a lot more scrappy than last year. Most games I play online just involve players running into each, the ball bouncing around like a ping pong, the goalkeeper making easy saves look ridiculously hard. As for players crossing!!! Every cross (no matter the angle) is whipped in as if by Beckham taking a free kick. It seems the game was designed purely to make it easy for new players.

Im seriously thinking about just going back to 09. Judging some of the reviews of the game so far, I'm sure I won't be alone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Loving it, really top drawers. Some questions though...

How do you change the captain? [I'm on Xbox]

What is the best way to go about free kicks? I haven't scored one yet. Is there any point in putting spin on the ball, if so do you move the L stick in the direction you want or press it?

And finally, any pointers for scoring from corners? Used to get a bundle in previous games, it's far more harder in this edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Loving it, really top drawers. Some questions though...

How do you change the captain? [I'm on Xbox]

What is the best way to go about free kicks? I haven't scored one yet. Is there any point in putting spin on the ball, if so do you move the L stick in the direction you want or press it?

And finally, any pointers for scoring from corners? Used to get a bundle in previous games, it's far more harder in this edition.

You can change captain in 'player roles'. Can't change it during a match though. Not the best at free kicks, but afaik holding up keeps it down, so for near the edge of the box id aim it away for the corner and hold up and towards the corner to curl it in. Hope that makes some sense.

And no advice on corners, havent done much from them at all myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I don't know about on Xbox but I am pretty sure its the right analouge stick to get spin on it not the left one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Ah this game is offically driving me mad. Does anyone know how to search for ranked matches of ANY level? I play as Liverpool and just dont like picking the Chelseas/Madrids or Inters but EVERYONE I play is one of them and they are all at the level im at with Liverpool but now its just got to the point of actually disliking the game.

The teams I mentioned are just too quick for Liverpool and im loosing game after game. My record now is something like 35 won 41 lost. The game just isnt fun.

Shots that should be bankers go wide. Passes go completley astray players either not making runs or leaving the defence wide open.

Anyone else finding it just ridiculously tough playing against the top teams when your a side not quite as good as them?

Have to say im dissapointed with Fifa this year. Last years version seemed more solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭Damien360

joe123 wrote: »
    Ah this game is offically driving me mad. Does anyone know how to search for ranked matches of ANY level? I play as Liverpool and just dont like picking the Chelseas/Madrids or Inters but EVERYONE I play is one of them and they are all at the level im at with Liverpool but now its just got to the point of actually disliking the game.

The teams I mentioned are just too quick for Liverpool and im loosing game after game. My record now is something like 35 won 41 lost. The game just isnt fun.

Shots that should be bankers go wide. Passes go completley astray players either not making runs or leaving the defence wide open.

Anyone else finding it just ridiculously tough playing against the top teams when your a side not quite as good as them?

Have to say im dissapointed with Fifa this year. Last years version seemed more solid.

That was always a failing of FIFA, even in 09. I gave up online a long time ago because of this. The best games I had were against my brother and we played non premiership and non champions league teams. Always as same number stars (i.e. if he picked a 3 star then I picked one). Liverpool were crap in 09 and I am afraid they are awful in 10. As a liverpool fan for 30 years it pains me to say, it mirrors current season and form.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Eh, no...There's something fundamentally wrong with your tactics. Ferdinand has 80 stats for tacklimg compared to your players low stats in key areas - strength, reaction, balance, etc. Of course he's going to win that head to head. Do you know how you beat that? Pass and move. That's the option to evade the tackle. Or get amazing at skill moves. But there's a reason why Ferdinand is at Manchester United earning millions.....and Quigley is not.

I also find it funny that you complain about high scoring games...but yet you want a League of Ireland player to be able to bypass some of the best defenders in the Premier League.

If you want realism, play FIFA. If you want to know that you are playing a game where stats, etc don't matter, play Sensible Soccer.

Ehh no a big NO NO NO.

if i have the ball i should have the option to draw the defender in and skin him.

To put it gamey type way. the pixels i control have a "360" lol degree turning point so if he comes with a stab tackle or sliding tackle i should be able to "shift" the ball away from him. Think of it on the basic level of pong he pongs one way i pong another. Thats a game someone wins regardless of player stats, it comes down to pure and simple game skill the ability of one player over another.

FIFA doesnt let you do that, its stat whore game. PES used to cater to my skill when i was moderator here i beat every single person who played in our tourners using a **** team (lorient/west ham) , granted i had a 1 to 1 win lose streak but i beat them by being better with a **** team.

FIFA doesnt allow that its not a balanced game. it rewards stats more so than actual ability.

Gonna upload the rooney 40 yard goal a mate scored on me, then the FIFA fans can tell me what i did wrong, he got a wayward pass at the halfway line and shot and it went in :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Good

*Game play is smoother, crossing,goalkeepers etc
    *360 dribbling is fantastic
    *Love the training facility
    *New manager mode is great
    *Player ratings are much more accurate

Bad

*I've had 5 players sent off with out realising it
    *Player likeness is bad
    *They should have kept the crowd chanting from last year
    *When i select my squad in Manager mode and save it, its changed when i go to play a game.
    *Servers are always down(I haven't been able to play online yet)
    *Hammering Utd 5-1(with ten men, away) and drawing 2-2 with Blackburn the next game (at home after being 2-0 up inside 10 minutes) is not realistic, even for Liverpool.

The free kick editor confused the hell out of me but i looked at the tutorial video while drunk, so i'll give that a go some other time.

It is an improvement on 09, apart from the likenesses and the crowd chanting, but i'll suffer that one. I was still playing 09 right up until i bought 10 and i hope i get the same this time round. Still going to be miles better than Konami's offering.

On a lighter note, during the commetary Martin and Andy start talking about commentating with each other for so long and it sounds like they love each other, cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Ehh no a big NO NO NO.

if i have the ball i should have the option to draw the defender in and skin him.

To put it gamey type way. the pixels i control have a "360" lol degree turning point so if he comes with a stab tackle or sliding tackle i should be able to "shift" the ball away from him. Think of it on the basic level of pong he pongs one way i pong another. Thats a game someone wins regardless of player stats, it comes down to pure and simple game skill the ability of one player over another.

FIFA doesnt let you do that, its stat whore game. PES used to cater to my skill when i was moderator here i beat every single person who played in our tourners using a **** team (lorient/west ham) , granted i had a 1 to 1 win lose streak but i beat them by being better with a **** team.

FIFA doesnt allow that its not a balanced game. it rewards stats more so than actual ability.

So basically you want all players to have the same ability?

To me that would completely ruin the game.

Playing with a crap team against a good team you have to change how you play. Just like real football.

You have to defend with your life and hope you can create a chance you can stick away. Most probably from a set peice.

But to expect to be abe to skin Premiership quaity defenders with League of Ireland players is a bit much. Granted it can happen. But it's not likely to be a regular occurance.

And having played with crap teams against the top teams, I know there are a few occassions when you will get a bit of luck and beat a defender to get through on goal. But it is rare.

As Sabre said, you're better off going back to Sensible Soccer from the sound of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

koHd wrote: »
    So basically you want all players to have the same ability?

To me that would completely ruin the game.

Playing with a crap team against a good team you have to change how you play. Just like real football.

You have to defend with your life and hope you can create a chance you can stick away. Most probably from a set peice.

But to expect to be abe to skin Premiership quaity defenders with League of Ireland players is a bit much. Granted it can happen. But it's not likely to be a regular occurance.

And having played with crap teams against the top teams, I know there are a few occassions when you will get a bit of luck and beat a defender to get through on goal. But it is rare.

As Sabre said, you're better off going back to Sensible Soccer from the sound of it.

wow

I would like my skill to overcome stats. FIFA doesnt reward that it rewards stats.

simple as that tbh its not that hard to comprehend really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

dreamers75 wrote: »
    wow

I would like my skill to overcome stats. FIFA doesnt reward that it rewards stats.

simple as that tbh its not that hard to comprehend really.

Should I be able to dribble past 4 defenders and slot in a great goal with Phillipe Senderos? I mean if I can do it with Messi, I should be able to do it with Senderos, yea? :rolleyes:

"My skill" is no different when I'm controlling Messi or Senderos. I still have the same speed of thought, thumb dexterity, and football brain.

But do you honestly think I should be able to do the same things with Senderos that I can with Messi?

To me that would be one crap game in this day and age.

Advertisement