Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treaty is not ratified yet ?

Options
  • 03-10-2009 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Excuse my ignorance on this subject, but I was listening to the radio this morning and someone from Czech Republic was on saying his president was waiting to see what Ireland do before signing it and something about pending the outcome of a court case ? And something about Poland too ? Can someone explain this in simple terms to me please, and is there still a chance the treaty might not get ratified by all member states. Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Its not even ratified by Ireland, it has to be signed by the president yet.

Czech senators have taken a court case to their supreme court. It will be dealt with under expedience and will be resolved within a few weeks. Klaus will sign then I imagine.

The polish president is expected to sign within the next few days. He was waiting for the Irish result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

jape wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance on this subject, but I was listening to the radio this morning and someone from Czech Republic was on saying his president was waiting to see what Ireland do before signing it and something about pending the outcome of a court case ? And something about Poland too ? Can someone explain this in simple terms to me please, and is there still a chance the treaty might not get ratified by all member states. Thank you.
    Reading some reports this morning, the Polish President is expected to sign off the ratification there "sooner rather than later".

In the Czech Republic, Klaus is holding off ratification until (a) Ireland ratifies (or just vote yes- I'm can't remember his exact comment), and (b) a final challenge in their Constitutional Court is complete. That challenge is based on Lisbon turning the EU into a "state" and is expected to fail (the German Constitutional Court said in a recent ruling that Lisbon doesn't do this, for example). The earliest expected date for that ruling is the end of this month.

What Klaus is really supposed to be doing is trying to delay ratification until the Conservatives are voted into power in the UK. Some eurosceptics expect Cameron to reverse their ratification, and put the treaty to referendum. IMO, this is unlikely to happen, and I think Cameron is hoping the Treaty will be ratified before this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

You know.

Just for kicks. Imagine if the Czechs shot it down for argument sake.

After the last 2 years of all of this stuff we have been subjected to and it finally passes in Ireland only to get shot down?

Would we be justified in invading? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Agent J wrote: »

Don't worry, the Czech president will be impeached if he refuses to ratify the treaty.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

(4.20pm) Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk has said that he hopes for his country to ratify the treaty 'very quickly' lest Poland be seen to be slowing it down after Ireland's Yes vote.

http://www.rte.ie/news/features/lisbontreaty/tracker.html

so its all down to 1 man

Václav Klaus

/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Agent J wrote: »
    You know.

After the last 2 years of all of this stuff we have been subjected to and it finally passes in Ireland only to get shot down?

Would we be justified in invading? ;)
    Then think of the 5+ years of work that went into the treaty in the first place only to be shot down by a mere 0.8% of the population

Would the rest of Europe be justified in invading us? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

axer wrote: »
    Then think of the 5+ years of work that went into the treaty in the first place only to be shot down by a mere 0.8% of the population

Would the rest of Europe be justified in invading us? :rolleyes:

2 Lisbon referenda campaigns.

No other country had to suffer that.

<edited>

Hell most of them didnt even get one... ;)

Advertisement