Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The backtracking has already started!

Options
  • 03-10-2009 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Minister Lehinan when interviewed on RTE by Pravada Mountrose this morning in a counting centre. When asked "Was it the promise of jobs that swung the vote to a Yes". Lenihan said "We never promised jobs as a result of a Yes vote"

Yes to jobs indeed..

Man the next few months are going to be hilarious fun for all :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭moondogspot

Seen that alright. All those who voted Yes for jobs. There's your answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 odoylerulez

yeah i know he didn't even wait for a week or so just shows how they feel toward the electorate. Once we have you suckered....ahh sure shag off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭free-man

An utter disgrace to our nation - sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Minister Lehinan when interviewed on RTE by Pravada Mountrose this morning in a counting centre. When asked "Was it the promise of jobs that swung the vote to a Yes". Lenihan said "We never promised jobs as a result of a Yes vote"

Yes to jobs indeed..

Man the next few months are going to be hilarious fun for all :pac:

Did they promise jobs for a yes vote? references?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

meglome wrote: »
    "Yes to jobs" is fairly easy to understand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭fictionaire

"Yes Minister" Martin on Rte this morning admitted that the minimum wage issue raised by the No side was an issue that needed to be look at.

Indeed, the backtracking has started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

I'd like to put you all to work this minute taking down all the "vote No or the baby jeebus will cry" posters.

You lost, deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Wait for the No side backtracking begins. Were all about to find out abortion and euthanasia and 1.84 wont be brought in, and that democracy still lives.

Long Onion wrote: »

You lost, deal with it.
    Yes, becuase that was the response of the government last time

I'd like to put you all to work this minute taking down all the "vote No or the baby jeebus will cry" posters.

You lost, deal with it.

Bit like the pot calling the kettle eh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Yes, becuase that was the response of the government last time

So go back to Europe, get some protols that confirm that we will have a forced army of conscripted foetuses defending our frontier for €1.84 per hour, and we'll all have another vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I hope we learned our lessons for the NAMA debate.

Oh hold on, there is no debate, we won't have say on that one, how convenient...

So go back to Europe, get some protols that confirm that we will have a forced army of conscripted foetuses defending our frontier for €1.84 per hour, and we'll all have another vote.

nah sure whats the point the government and its supporters won. Not like the people really ever had a say anyways.

Im sure all democratic loving people of this fair isle accept the decison. Maybe you can learn a lesson from them.

I don't agree with you, but I really like your rhetoric skills. Thumbs up for that one.

thing is, Im not some religious idiot (coir) or anti-abortion narrowminded idiot, I had real reasons (explained here - I couldnt be bothered typing them again) for a no vote.

Except the power of false hope defeats reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Well, I am guessing the no side will need to do some back tracking when in three years time we still have no abortion, no military conscription, when Ireland will not be an aircraft carrier and the minimum wage is not €1.84

Oh wait scrub the last one, Coir backtracked on that one before the vote.

Well, I am guessing the no side will need to do some back tracking when in three years time we still have no abortion, no military conscription, when Ireland will not be an aircraft carrier and the minimum wage is not €1.84

See thats the thing though. The no side lost. They don't have anything to answer for. Don't worry i've no doubt the real anger will be directed towards the government when people once again realise the level of deception that is going on. Like i said FUN TIMES AHEAD!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Fine Gael poster read as follows . .

"Yes to Lisbon. Yes to jobs".

Where are the jobs?

the jobs are in magical land with the chocolate rivers, unicorns and goody gumdrops

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

the jobs are in magical land with the chocolate rivers, unicorns and goody gumdrops
    You're forgetting about the jobs for the boys in Brussels.

• Advertisement

well your man from coir was on RTE this morning and was still staunchly defending this claim :mad:

Grr at religious idiot groups

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Read here for evidence that a Yes vote would be good for jobs. From the horses mouth, you know, the people who are actually in a position to create jobs:
    Madam, – We are a group of Irish and Irish Americans deeply concerned with the outcome of Friday’s referendum. We are writing in our personal capacities, but are involved with many leading Irish organisations here and businesses with investments in Ireland. The fact is that the result of this week’s vote will affect Ireland’s relationship not only with Europe, but also with the United States – and will do so profoundly.

The US has invested $80 billion in Ireland; more than it has in Brazil, Russia, India and China. Some 600 US companies in Ireland employ 100,000 and export €60 billion of goods and services annually. Why should the US make such major investments in such a small economy? Ireland’s educated, enthusiastic workforce, allied with a relatively benign tax regime, are a crucial but insufficient explanation. The X factor is the fact that Ireland is the only English-speaking member of the euro area.

A presence in Ireland provides access to the EU internal market, one of the largest consumer markets in the world.

Ireland needs precious foreign investment now more than ever, while competition for that investment is at its most intense.

A No vote would indicate to many American investors that being integrated with international trade is not a priority for Ireland. If the Irish are prepared to reject a treaty concerned more with administrative issues than sovereignty, are they turning towards isolationism and can they be considered reliable trading partners?

This is not scaremongering. The fact is these questions are being asked here now in advance of the referendum.

The debate over whether Ireland is closer to Berlin than Boston is misplaced. Ireland has the luxury of being equally close to both. A No vote would distance Ireland from both Boston and Berlin. For the sake of Ireland’s relationship with the United States, as much as with Europe, a resounding Yes is essential on Friday. – Yours, etc,

LORETTA BRENNAN

GLUCKSMAN, ANTHONY

CALLAGHAN, JOHN DUFFY

JOHN FITZPATRICK, ADRIAN

FLANNELLY, DIARMUID

HOGAN, ADRIAN JONES,

PAUL KEARY, MICHELLE

KESSLER, BOB McCANN

BRENDAN McDONAGH,

JACK McDONNELL, KIERAN

McLOUGHLIN, TOM

MEAGHER, TOM MORAN,

BART MURPHY, JOHN

MURPHY, JOHN

O’DONOGHUE, NIALL

O’DOWD, SHEILA O’MALLEY

FUCHS, TOM O’NEILL, JIM

QUINN, JOHN RYAN, AINE

SHERIDAN, AL SMITH IV,

Note that the Glucksmanns in particular have been very generous to Ireland. See also the statements from Intel, and pretty much all other employers and those that are in a position to create jobs.

Now contrast this stark reality with the claims from the likes of Ganley and Coir that they were telling the truth. How long will they continue to dig those holes for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭alrightcuz

Ok i think the yes voters need to keep an eye on Europe not just Ireland lets see how other small country's are treated our vote was for them as well remember all the talk yes for Europe bla bla bla

"Yes to jobs" is fairly easy to understand

And those jobs could happen with company's seeing Ireland's commitment to the EU, just like us Yes campaigners have said all along. However there is and never was a promise of jobs. I have no idea where you got that.

And the one before that since we allowed the Yanks to have their rendition flights go through Shannon.

Edit: Also this one kinda takes care of the neutrality thing doesn't it?

And those jobs could happen with company's seeing Ireland's commitment to the EU, just like us Yes campaigners have said all along. However there is and never was a promise of jobs. I have no idea where you got that.
    its directly implied. Vote yes to jobs would infer that the opposite vote would have the opposite result. Simple really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I'd imagine it was from the "Yes to Europe, Yes to Jobs" posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

nah sure whats the point the government and its supporters won. Not like the people really ever had a say anyways.
    The government support is at an all time low, and I'm fairly certain it was people who cast their votes to have their say yesterday...

well your man from coir was on RTE this morning and was still staunchly defending this claim :mad:

Grr at religious idiot groups

They really are a danger to No campaigners as they don't know where to draw the line. The chairman of the Labour court has has even expressly said that Cóir are wrong on this. No one, as far I can see, who's looked at this claim objectively believes it can happen. Who actually supports these loolaas?

• Advertisement

cornbb wrote: »
    Read here for evidence that a Yes vote would be good for jobs. From the horses mouth, you know, the people who are actually in a position to create jobs:

Note that the Glucksmanns in particular have been very generous to Ireland. See also the statements from Intel, and pretty much all other employers and those that are in a position to create jobs.

Now contrast this stark reality with the claims from the likes of Ganley and Coir that they were telling the truth. How long will they continue to dig those holes for?

Wow just wow. No wonder this country is knee deep in recession with attitudes like that. Wouldn't want to become ever self reliant like say switzerland or sweden. Nah lets all just sit around on our a**ses and expect handouts from multinationals who pull out to china for cheaper labour costs whenever it suits them. After all they care about workers rights. Its not all about profits. Yes we owe these people our blind alligence and obediance. All hail dez magnificent super overlords!

I don't really like ganley but fair play to him at least he asked people to be open minded and not just believe everything you hear from the now proven corrupt and self serving politicans we have here. Like a breath of fresh air in a stagnant cesspool of corruption.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement