Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The backtracking has already started!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Tony EH wrote: »
    Maybe he should ask the Czech people what they think.

You mean he should over ride the democratic process of his own country? :rolleyes: That's so far from dictatorship....

By the by the Czechs voted overwhelmingly to join the EU, I see no indication that a should a referendum be carried out it wouldn't be passed. Do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

Fuhrer wrote: »
    No Shapez, running a Referendum is what a democracy would do, a dictatorship would just implement it...

Is this really what people believe?

Thats why its "boaderline" dictatorship... cos they made it happen, by goin for the second vote, not cos the public addressed it, the public voted no firstly... cos the government decided they wanted a yes and didnt stop till they got one. That is NOT a democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭free-man

You must lend me this magical time machine you have.

Its got a flux capacitor and looks pretty cool.

Your day will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

free-man wrote: »
    Translation: We're allowed call you fools when we dont get the result we like, when the opposite occurs low and behold you again are the fools!! It's amazing isn't it?

Did you even read my post? No idea how you made such a bad translation. Please don't misrepresent my meaning, it does you no favours. The only people calling the electorate stupid right now are you guys, not the yes campaign and not even most of the no campaign, who have the decency not to make assumptions about the basis of the decision without evidence.
    And in case you dig up a quote of us calling you idiots its doesn't matter!!

My point being that if you were to show that the Yes campaign called the electorate idiots last time, it would not make it right for you to do the same now. Both would be wrong. Sorry if that point was put across to subtly.
    Seriously have you considered a job in FF PR?

I don't think they'd employ someone who intends to vote them out of power when that's actually the issue on the table. I've tried the last two times and the country disagreed with me. I didn't assume the electorate were fools, idiots, stupid or ignorant for that. I just thought they were wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

The Lisbon treaty is about streamlining how the EU makes decisions.

And what decisions do they make?

Oh right, where and how to invest!

Invest in What?

Construction projects?

Thats it.

You cant build an economy based on construction. People interpreted the yes to jobs as meaning the eu was going to encourage factories to open in Ireland etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Exactly where and how to invest. Where and how they please they want to invest. So still no gaurentees for ireland. But then gaurentees from politicans that aren't worth the paper they are written on. (Usually toilet paper)

Its not a guarantee but its a well educated opinion. Just this week there was some millions worth of investment from the EU

But hey, thats all lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 odoylerulez

No, its still a democracy. Im sorry if you were out the day at school when they explained those terms.

Yes i trust the ramblings of a guy who calls himself fuhrer. Does your version of democracy come with a small z shaped lapel?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

prinz wrote: »
    You mean he should over ride the democratic process of his own country? :rolleyes: That's so far from dictatorship....

By the by the Czechs voted overwhelmingly to join the EU, I see no indication that a should a referendum be carried out it wouldn't be passed. Do you?

That's neither here nor there. It doesn't matter whether the Czech's will vote "Yes" or "No", but they should be allowed to have a vote.

Yes i trust the ramblings of a guy who calls himself fuhrer. Does your version of democracy come with a small z shaped lapel?

Oh hi, this is my friend Satire, you two should talk.

Invest in What?

Construction projects?

Thats it.

You cant build an economy based on construction. People interpreted the yes to jobs as meaning the eu was going to encourage factories to open in Ireland etc

Good lord, you really think that the only thing the EU has invested in in Ireland are construction projects?

Have you been to any university in Ireland in the past few years?

• Advertisement

Oh hi, this is my friend Satire, you two should talk.

Oh i get it having a laugh at the expense of 4 million jews. Freakin hilarious man,:pac:

Seriously? "I don't like your name, therefore you are wrong"?

Oh i get it having a laugh at the expense of 4 million jews. Freakin hilarious man,:pac:

6 million, not 4 million.

And yes, im making fun of jews!

My god you are perceptive

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

This has gotten childish... tut tut everyone

Seriously? "I don't like your name, therefore you are wrong"?

no just pointing out the irony of a guy calling himself fuhrer giving lessons on democracy.

So, John Cleese doing the goose-step... not funny? Lots of people disagree with you and that doesn't undermine whatever opinions they hold on the totally unrelated topic of a referendum in Ireland.

Drop the ad hominems please. Seriously, you're wheeling out every logical faux pas in the book on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Good lord, you really think that the only thing the EU has invested in in Ireland are construction projects?

Have you been to any university in Ireland in the past few years?

Yes i have. and in the Uk

The facilities in Ireland are crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭free-man

Did you even read my post?

Yes
    The only people calling the electorate stupid right now are you guys

Can you point out where I said this?
    not the yes campaign
    Obviously enough as the yes side won??
    My point being that if you were to show that the Yes campaign called the electorate idiots last time, it would not make it right for you to do the same now. Both would be wrong. Sorry if that point was put across to subtly.

Agreed. I don't think the yes voters are idiots, i think they're misguided and easily led by the mainstream political parties and fear of losing their jobs.
    I don't think they'd employ someone who intends to vote them out of power when that's actually the issue on the table. I've tried the last two times and the country disagreed with me. I didn't assume the electorate were fools, idiots, stupid or ignorant for that. I just thought they were wrong.

You want them out of power? Shame you'll have another 3 years of them.

no just pointing out the irony of a guy calling himself fuhrer giving lessons on democracy.

And ive pointed out it was satirical.

But I have to ask, do you know what satire is?

It's not irony unless his use of the name is not, in itself, ironic. It doesn't seem to be so I guess you're just deflecting us from the real argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

You're right, voting Yes to Lisbon is the exact same thing as supporting Fianna Fail, just look at the opposition parties. They all support Fianna Fail.

:)

Only one side on this thread are coming across Anti Democratic.

People can change their mind. Its allowed. Thank God for that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

meglome wrote: »
    And those jobs could happen with company's seeing Ireland's commitment to the EU, just like us Yes campaigners have said all along. However there is and never was a promise of jobs. I have no idea where you got that.

Meglome, you talk like a politician. Are you one? They're always hard to pin down and are loathe to speak honest plain english, straight to the point.

Yes to Lisbon, Yes to jobs. This statement implies one thing only. I'd say a high percentage of Yes voters were swayed and gently nudged to the Yes side with the 'promise' of jobs. That is what people will take, from viewing these posters, 'Yes to Jobs'. Lisbon = jobs. No Lisbon = No jobs. Maybe YOU don't believe it, but many many people will. And rightly so.

Like I said before. The Yes side relies on fluff and wishy washy waffle. No facts.
    Lisbon means jobs. We need to stick with Europe. Its good for us. We need to show our commitment. Europe will beome a two-tier system.
    All heresay bulls*it.

Yes i have. and in the Uk

The facilities in Ireland are crap.

Ever noticed the massive funding for various research buildings, projects, schools etc?

No?

Well of course not, The EU only invests in construction, right?

And yes, the UK university have a massive head start on us, therefore they are much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

You must have gotten that figure from the same place you learned that Sweden wasn't in the EU.

So, John Cleese doing the goose-step... not funny? Lots of people disagree with you and that doesn't undermine whatever opinions they hold on the totally unrelated topic of a referendum in Ireland.

Drop the ad hominems please. Seriously, you're wheeling out every logical faux pas in the book on this thread.

Who said anything about john cleese. Thats all in context don't you understand? Faulty towers is a comedy set in a comedic environment. Of course its funny because people understand the physical humour in it. Whats funny or satirical about calling yourself fuhrer on a politics forum then epousing the values of democracy in a clearly undemocratic process. Give me a break.

John Cleese wasn't giving out democracy lessons on a debate forum over a serious issue many people consider to be an assault on democratic values. Why don't you go into a german forum and see if they find that name funny. You'd probably get arrested.

Who said anything about john cleese. Thats all in context don't you understand? Faulty towers is a comedy.

He wasn't giving out democracy lessons on a debate forum over a serious issue many people consider to be an assault on democratic values.

And if he did, and used the screen name Hitler, it would not make him wrong nor make his posts ironic. It would make his use of the name Hitler ironic, which is the same as this case here.
    Why don't you go into a german forum and see if they find that name funny. You'd probably get arrested.

Relevance?

Ready to explain to me why we shouldn't trust the cited reasons why people voted no in Lisbon 1? Or when the Yes campaign referred to the electorate as idiots, or implied it? Or how Switzerland is evidence that Ireland will not do better economically in the EU?

Or would you like to make some more invalid off topic comments instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Guys, if you've got a problem with someone's user name, you raise it on the Help desk forum or by PMing a mod or admin.

If you've got a problem with a post, you click the reported posts icon. You could also use this to report an objectionable username.

If you don't actually have a problem with either of these things and you're just seeking to get personal at the end of a week where the moderators will quite justifiably ban someone for acting with all the subtlety and intelligence of Forrest Gump, please continue.

In the meantime this thread is locked and I'm mentally remembering everyone who threw it off-kilter. And not in that sexy way either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement