Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can i delete vista and replace with xp?

• 03-10-2009 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have a laptop "running" vista at the moment but it is way too much for it to handle with its puny specs ( I dont know why they sold it to me with it onit if it struggles with it .)I am hoping to save all my pictures,documents ,music onto a few mem sticks and to delete vista and install xp . I dont really know where to start with this . I realise that ill have to go out and buy xp . Is it even possible to clear vista from a computer ? Is microsoft dos still standard if i delete it ?any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Have you got an xp cd

Put it into you CD rom and install

Easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

What you want to do is perfectly possible, no problem there, just make sure your laptop manufacturer 'supports' XP, as in, has XP compatible drivers for it. Drivers for dedicated media buttons etc..

To give you an example, I have an HP laptop, XP runs fine for it, but the drivers for the media buttons work oddly.. and the firewire, depending on the bios, doesn't work under XP.

Your mileage may vary. Browse the website of the laptop manfacturer and see if there are XP drivers for your particular model.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

Ya, there should be no problems except for maybe your drivers like the pst above says. You can get a cheap OEM OS on elara.ie... they dont come with the support that a shop bought one would have but its sometimes 4X cheaper... worth it in my opinion. Got an OEM vista premium 64bit and working fine... just doesnt come with the fancy packaging and all that but they are official microsoft products just the ones that are sent to manufacturers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,975 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Upgrade to windows 7 - which has lower minimum requirements than vista.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

unless you have a business version of vista or a transferrable xp license you are not entitled to install XP

there are ways to speed up vista - try them first

there are many free alternatives to windows - maybe consider before forking out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

As per other poster's suggestions, try mukki's tips on improving Vista performance before giving up on Vista.

Re: buying OEM OS licence/media from online shops - it may be cheaper but I'm not convinced the licence terms actually allow consumer-level end users to buy OEM licences and install them on their own machines, the entire point is supposed to be that such licences are only provided to equipment manufacturers.

If you decide to upgrade to Windows 7, bear in mind that you can use the Windows Easy Transfer tool to migrate your profile from Vista and import it into Windows 7 rather than have to configure everything again. Certainly worth considering if you're going to have to do a clean install of Windows 7.

Advertisement