Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom off a lot recently?

• 03-10-2009 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

Hey there, I have 3mb eircom broadband ,and recently this past month nearly once a day or more the red light comes on under the internet sign on my netopia modem. it may last for several hours each time.
    I was wondering what is causing this and is anyone else experiencing eircom problems recently. Its really unstable. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i was always getting that red light on my netopia modem and broadband support were not much use as every time it happened they were gone home or too busy and when i did ring them they just said ring back if it happened again. it was something to do with the line i think as when it happened my phone also would not work. carlow exchange and i am about 2km from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

This is happening to me too:mad::mad:also gone very slow when viewing videos on Youtube :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

Having the same problems, download speed is 40kb's on a 3mb line. Pure ridic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 chris11

Are any of you guys on the whitehall exchange by any chance ? Because i've been having the same problem,dsl's been going down quite a lot recently and as usual eircom support are usless!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

People with this kind of problem should name their exchange if at all possible , otherwise you are wasting your time telling us !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A Doozer

Having the same problems in Dublin 18. Their primary DNS server goes down and there is no hope of getting it back up for hours.

Mine started mucking up around the time they were hacked. Sent off an email to them enquiring but got no response. Not surprised really considering it's Eircom we're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I'm BT 7.6MB in Dundalk, Co.Louth and barely getting speeds of 1MB at present. I've been having problems with speeds, syncs and pings for 2 weeks now and before anyone says anything, it's an Eircom problem with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    People with this kind of problem should name their exchange if at all possible , otherwise you are wasting your time telling us !
    What is this exhange thing u are talking about ,what is it.

I just did a speed test and download is 1.08mb/s and upload is 0.12
    Pathetic.

Pangea wrote: »
    What is this exhange thing u are talking about ,what is it..

"Exchange" !

Sigh :( , I give up , no point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭gdael

Im on the swords exchange and have huge packet loss to any address when i use pingplotter.

Im paying for 3Mb and getting about 600Kb.

Ring support, they just ask you to reset your router, wiping out all your settings in the process. Then they tell you to plug everything out and call them on your mobile.
    And then they tell you theyll send you out an engineer for €100. They tried to charge me this once when the problem was that a neighbour cut the line over his garden trimming his trees.
    Repeat and rinse every time you ring the idiots.

And the sad part is you are stuck with them for the line. Another company cant fix problems on the line.

• Advertisement

"Exchange" !

Sigh :( , I give up , no point
    People like u should explain what you are on about "otherwise you are wasting your time" coming on here with responses like that. I said I have eircom 3mb broadband what more do u want. Never mind u choose not to answer the question.

The red internet light means the internet has gone red, normally the internet is green .

Does it go red when friends is repeated is on the telly ??

The red internet light means the internet has gone red, normally the internet is green .

Does it go red when friends is repeated is on the telly ??

dude stop spamming , You are not contrubuting so click that x on the top right hand corner. thanks. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

my 3mb slow down as well iwouldn't even get 7.6mb because eircom network crap and my line can only handle 5mb because of contension on the line

What is this exhange thing u are talking about ,what is it.
    What town and county are you in ? Use the below link to find the nearest exchange to you:

http://www.broadbandatoz.ie/inside.asp?sectionId=2

gdael wrote: »
    And then they tell you theyll send you out an engineer for €100.
    They're very fond of using that line, why the hell should you pay, do they not make enough money as it is and surely they should be looking after their own equipment. The sooner Eircom the monoply go the better.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    What town and county are you in ? Use the below link to find the nearest exchange to you:

http://www.broadbandatoz.ie/inside.asp?sectionId=2

Hey thanks for your reply hell boy , im in the donegal exchange.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I had a red light earlier today. I just rebooted the modem and all was good again. Haven't had any other problems with it.

I had a red light earlier today. I just rebooted the modem and all was good again. Haven't had any other problems with it.
    I rang eircom broaband support today , through our discussion they said it appears to be the filter i have that connects to the phoneline , it might be faulty ,so they are sending me out a new one.

By the way I pressed the reset button yday on my modem and all my complicated settings i had for my ps3 online are all wiped out :mad: plus i have to put all the WEP keys into laptops around the house again , I wonder is this a direct result of me pressing the reset button?. Even the name of the connection i had set is reset to eircom1234 etc. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I rang eircom broaband support today , through our discussion they said it appears to be the filter i have that connects to the phoneline , it might be faulty ,so they are sending me out a new one.

By the way I pressed the reset button yday on my modem and all my complicated settings i had for my ps3 online are all wiped out :mad: plus i have to put all the WEP keys into laptops around the house again , I wonder is this a direct result of me pressing the reset button?. Even the name of the connection i had set is reset to eircom1234 etc. :(
    It could be. I don't know as I've never reset my eircom router. I just turned it off the other day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

If you reset your modem then all the wireless settings etc go back to factory default.

If you can remember how to change it again it can be done in about 5 mins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It's been a bit sluggish lately. Haven't noticed any router blinkage, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

My net has been back on form the last couple of days... Touch wood.

Getting over 700kb/ps on torrents :D Muhahaha...

Pings are back to normalish... about 10ms higher than before the issues started happening.. 45ms instead of 35ms... apparently the issue is still being worked on though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

On utv here and had the connection go down on me last night, and needed to turn off and on again to get it back. Then just there a few minutes ago it went down again for a few seconds and came back up. Its not DNS which is uaully the cause with utv, its the actual adsl connection. This hasnt happened to me in a long while so hope its not a sign of it happening all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Definitely. This has been going on for too long actually. More and more people are reporting problems with their networks.

How can people go about finding out what exchange they are on? I forget how I found out about my exchange.

They could use something like a map maybe? http://www.perlico.com/broadband/broadband-coverage.aspx

Cabaal has a speed test thread here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055380549 Something along them lines would be a good format for reporting broadband issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

People with disconnection problems could go here and copy the information off that page and post it here. This could help us a lot to identify the problem.

Advertisement