Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal say's No

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Jakers, 34K Donegal folks voted NO in 2008, 31K in 2009 - you might end up with 31k different reasons!

It'd be more interesting to see why people changed their vote! I heard someone on the radio say, that they voted yes this time, because last time they voted no and look at the mess the country is in! Maybe by voting yes, things will get better.

That's another topic altogether!

If only one, long term benefit, has come from this, then maybe it's the value of peoples vote! I see an extra 202,000 people voted this time around. Up nearly 6%. That's a great increase. I'm a bit of a pain in the butt in my family, encouraging my lot to vote. No point in complaining, if you don't vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

People say it was a protest vote but was it based on the new movie by Quentin Tarantino

ATT000011.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

Pique wrote: »
    The NO vote hasn't got anything to do with the historical influence of the Shinners in Donegal then, no ?
    slickmcvic wrote: »
    .....who's gonna take the credit for donegal's NO vote....SF or Ganley?
    ... i reckon it was a protest vote, in a way, Donegal benefitted way less from the Celtic Tiger and EU funding than the rest of the country and in a way yis can't be punished because the place is that neglected already!
    irish_goat wrote: »
    2007 General Election: Donegal North East[6] Party Candidate 1st Pref % Seat Count
    Fine Gael Joe McHugh 8,711 22.6 1 5
    Fianna Fáil Jim McDaid 6,724 17.4 2 7
    Fianna Fáil Niall Blaney 6.288 16.3 3 8
    Sinn Féin Pádraig MacLochlainn 6,733 17.5

They're very close to getting that last seat.
    mrmac wrote: »
    greeno - I've re-read this thread again, and I can't find the SF influence bit you've mentioned. Only once did someone ask if it was a possible factor.

Strangely, there is no suggestion of any political influence, by any party! In fact, it appears, from what people have stated, that they voted based on what they believed was right, and not on what they where told. Either way, YES or NO, was a personal decision. It certainly was for me; no political party swayed my vote.

This personal decision making, may be why people continue to vote for the same candidates. Rightly, or wrongely, they believe their candidate will do a good job. It could be a belief that someone else, woudn't do a better job!?

In the last few elections, I voted for people who I believed would/could do the best job, not on what party they where in.

3 people tried to imply SF's influence in the vote all I simply did was rubbish this as it is clearly not the case. I don't see the harm in this?

I voted No as I believed it was wrong for Ireland and I believe as you have stated that Donegal people voted with thier heads and not in allegiance to any political party.

greeno - I agree with you, completely! I'm just trying to point out that Pique asked if there was a connection. I think slickmcvic remark was more a slaging for SF/Ganley than trying to suggest they influenced the vote. Even irish_goat post shows that SF does have some base support, but not enough to influence the entire county.

I'd be very surprised to think that the national concensus on this, was that Donegal voted NO because of any sort of SF connection/allegiance - that's ridiculous!

I, like you, am delighted to see that the majority of folks who've posted on this thread, are clever enough to use their own judgement.

BTW - you should have a google for reasons why people changed their vote to a YES.
    It makes some funny, if not disappointing, reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Having read all the above posts I think it is fair to say that it was a combination of reasons why we ended up returning a No result. None of the above reaons in themselves should be singled out as the only one. Historical, cultural and political influence all converged in this vote to give our unique result.

a. Yes we are stuck away up here in the northwest and there undoubtedly those in power down in the big smoke who look on our distant land as just that - a distant land. The the thing is... we know that. There are those up here in NOver NOver Land who are just fed up with voting for change and never seeing any good come from it. Many of those may have voted NO.

b. There are those who wanted to stick their fingers up at FF for making a mess of the country as they see it. They voted NO.

c. There are those who studied the treaty itself and decided that it was not a good option for the country. They voted NO

d. There is a percentage of people in the county who are SF supporters and they followed their party's line and voted NO.

e. They are those (and you would be surprised how many I think) who just had no idea what the treaty was about and rather than vote yes for something they just didn't understand. They voted NO.

Now I am sure there are those that will say that many of these reasons could be applied to any constituancy in the country and well maybe so. It just so happens however that they combined in the right numbers in the both areas of Donegal to produce the, as it turned out, unique result.

Therefore I dont think that any of the posts in this thread are wholely wrong in their reasoning but I also don't think that any reason can be taken on its own.

• Advertisement

Well said.

I would add one other possibility.

People voted NO simply because they felt offended that we where being made vote for a second time.

I know of a few people who would've fallen into the "I don't know what the treaty is about, so I'm voting NO" group, for the first referendum. These folks, still haven't a clue what the treaty was about, and still voted NO, because they're too thran to be "pushed about" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The 2 main reasons the Yes side won was the economy and the poor No campaign.

I don't believe that 17.5% is a solid SF base but that, combined with the old Independent FF vote would be prone to the SF .8% poster, regardless of truth.

The €200 Billion Fisheries posters would be more important here again, regardless of truth.

PS. SF voters tend to follow the party line more than other parties, including FF.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

puffdragon wrote: »
    This is Nigel Farage .I'd say he's spent some time with Declan Ganley by the sounds of him!! and his opinion of the 70 30 split on campaign spending might have something to do with Donegal .I wasn't approached by one Fiana Fail canvasser during the whole campaign ,maybe they threw it away themselves because they were afraid to come to the doors !!

<SNIP, trash removal>[/quote

I wasn't approached by any canvassers at all!:D:D

Maybe I need to stop asking questions about party policy when canvassers appear on my doorstep:p:p. Most canvassers are amazed at being asked a question, anyway.LOL

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

George hook is doing a countrywide tour to find out what ordinary people think we can do about the crisis,some comfort i suppose in hearing the same feelings from the opposite end of the country,george also makes refference to 1916 and where has our pride gone. Its not an insurection we need but a quiet revolution quick!!

http://newstalk.ie/newstalk/programmes/6/the-right-hook.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭alfranken

muffler wrote: »
    Can I remind people (again) that the thread is about the Donegal NO vote to the Lisbon Treaty referendum - nothing to do with referendums from years ago on other matters.

Its a good thread and it would be a pity to have to lock it for continuous off topic posting.

sadpuppy.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Let me explain,If you listen to the witness of the people who took part in George Hooks meeting (about half way through the programme) you can hear the very same complaints and grievances as we have here ourselves,so by a process of elimination the overriding reason we voted no wasn't a wide range of things but two glaringly obvious ones; Isolation and a poor campaign by Fiana Fail, Understand? I'll unsubscribe from this thread now bye bye!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Arion24

trafada wrote: »
    Why? As a protest to the EU why don't you stop using the new roads that were built over the years?
    Are you actually suggesting not to physically touch the roads if you are opposed to the the Lisbon Treaty?
    Can we at least have dreams about them please?

Donegal voted no and for once I was proud of the county (given the amount of car shams and general shams and nonsense goes on here pride is a rare moment).
    There were no disputes during the count of the ballot boxes in Donegal, no disputes that were related to the actual voting. We were in and out in record time and it was a resounding "No".
    Any joy we had was obviously silenced when we heard the rest of Ireland voted yes.

Let me just say this:
    What happened when we voted the second time for the Nice Treaty (even though we shouldn't have had to) and we said 'Yes'.

I believe the Recession here happened.

We don't have a democracy or a republic, we're now officially under the heels of Europe. They'll call us when they need some **** picked up. We are not even 100 years free of English rule and now we're firmly under the control of the E.U. Gotta love Ireland.

Advertisement