Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patmar Reunion, April 2010

Options
  • 03-10-2009 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

There is to be a Patmar Reunion at the Sligo Park Hotel in Sligo in April 2010!!! :)
    Further details to follow on this forum and at the Stammering Awareness Day in Dublin!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

can anyone tell me if this course is still running?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

There hasn't been a "Patmar" Course since probably 2006 I think!!!
    The reason I put Patmar in inverted commas is that there is now a residential therapy course more or less the same as Patmar being run by one of the speech therapists from Patmar and ex-Patmar attendees in Mullingar!!!
    The last one was in March past there I think...not sure when the next one is gonna be!!! Probably issues over funding what with the recession and all that!!!
    Patrick Kelly is the therapist behind this new adult stammering course. Here is his contact details...well they were a few years ago!!!

Community Care Offices
    Carrick-on-Shannon
    Co. Leitrim
    Tel: 071-9650311
    email: patrick.kelly@nwhb.ie

The Patmar Reunion will be taking place on Saturday 24th April 2010, Sligo Park Hotel, Sligo...kicking-off at 2pm!!!
    It is being organised by the same two ex-Patmar attendees who ran the last Reunion back in April 2008 when there were 10 Patmar stammerers present!!!
    We have a nice wee cosy room booked for the gathering...no tea or biscuits provided unfortunately!!!...but what do you want for free!!! :) No costs...besides your travelling expenses to get to the hotel!!!
    I myself am one of the two organisers...Paul McFetridge is my name.
    My email address is Paul4As@hotmail.com
    If anybody needs more info email me or post on this thread!!!
    I will be presenting at the Awareness Day in Dublin this Saturday...so make yourselves known to me there if you're up for the Reunion!!! ;)

If anyone who is on this forum goes to any of the 9 self-help groups throughout Ireland...can you inform any of your fellow members who may have been on Patmar about the Reunion I am trying to organise in April!!!
    I am hoping to get the Patmar Reunions as an annual event every April...and build up a better network of communication for stammerers who attended Patmar!!!
    It will not be just to talk about our stammers, but it will also be for friendship and creating more of those special bonds us stammerers have between ourselves!!! :)

The real big campaign to kick-off gathering interest from ex-Patmar Programme attendees will begin just after Christmas!!! I will probably get my hotel room booked in January once the festive spending is over!!! :)
    If anybody on this forum is attending the Irish Stammering Association's AGM on Sunday 29th November in Dublin and you were on Patmar (or even not on) can you spread the word of this exciting Reunion!!!
    I myself with be in Galway that weekend unfortunately...so accept my apologies!!! :mad:

• Advertisement

The campaign is to begin this week...get the wheels in motion for the stammering event of April 2010!!! :D
    The 2nd ever Patmar Reunion organised solely by ex-attendees of The Patmar Programme for Adults Who Stammer is soooo happening on Saturday 24th April at the Sligo Park Hotel...kicking off at 2pm!!!
    It will run from 2-4:30pm.....we will introduce ourselves, say how we have got on since we attended the course, support each other, give each other advice...recess for an hour and a half til 6pm when we mingle and grub...then a final hour session to 7pm to recap, set ourselves some aims for when we get back to everyday life!!!
    Some people will be booking in to stay the night...so the conversation can continue on in to the wee small hours!!!
    Email or pm me for more information!!!
    My email is Paul4As@hotmail.com
    Cold drinks, biscuits and maybe some pringles will be provided!!! A room has also been booked with comfy sofa chairs!!! :cool:
    The more the merrier!!! 10 attended the last one in April 2008!!!
    And it is all FREE!!!

Booked my room in the Sligo Park Hotel with my wee mate Niall from Donegal who helps me run the Reunions!
    3 good websites to have a look at (if you are considering staying overnight) are otel.com, superbreak.com and octopustravel.com!
    I got a twin room B&B for £92 on otel which aint to bad! In Euros it will seem cheaper considering the pound's poor strength!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bmagee

Hello, Thats great about the Patmar reunion Paul, I will try to make it this time. Would be great to meet Niall again!
    Re Patrick Kelly and the stammering courses: good news, Patrick is running these courses independently now, with John Sutton, the next course commences on the 23rd March in Mullingar. There is also a web site for the course, which is www.patrickkellystammering.com All of the information is there. Brendan.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Haven't seen Patrick or Maria since 1998 when I attended a week long stammering course in Markievicz House..

And since I live 5 minutes from the Sligo Park Hotel, I'll definitely call into the event in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Thats great news about Patrick keeping the courses going. The guy is a legend. Will never forget all that he did for me and helped change my life. I will be there in April!

• Advertisement

Good to hear the interest in the Reunion from fellow boards.ie members!
    It shall be a really great day! Of course it will be...I'm hosting it...NOT!!!:)
    It is for everyone who attends to participate...we are all just as good as one another as being our own and others' therapists!!!
    Brendan...great to hear that Patrick and John are getting more or less "Patmar" minus Maria going again!!!
    Good that there is to be an alternative independent speech therapy course in Ireland to rival the Maguire Programme...and at a substantially lower price!!! :)

Less than two months for those who have been on the Patmar Programme's chance to come together and have the craic!!!
    The time I'm sure will fly in!!!
    If anybody has any queries about the day (Saturday 24th April 2010, Sligo Park Hotel, 2pm) then PM me!!!

Good to see the views for the Patmar Reunion, April 2010 have broken the 1500 barrier!
    Interest seems excellent!
    It is, after all, the only stammering event this year so far where entry is free...venue is free for attendees and some light refreshments will be provided for free as well!!!
    Only condition is you have to have attended the Patmar Programme!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 applemaker

the mcguire programme is the only way to go if you have a stammer!!! patmar is rubbish, i dont understand why the people on it dont just come to mcguire programme its so much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bmagee

Hi Applemaker, You are obviously a typical McGuire zealot. It is important to keep an open mind in these matters. It doesn’t matter where you get help as long as you do get help. Check out www.patrickkellystammering.com (formally Patmar) where you can read testimonials from people who have been on this programme. Incidentally, the Patrick Kelly Stammering Programme is the only stammering programme that is run by a Speech and Language Therapist. B Magee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

applemaker wrote: »
    the mcguire programme is the only way to go if you have a stammer!!! patmar is rubbish, i dont understand why the people on it dont just come to mcguire programme its so much better.

Ah well, two posts to your name and this fine addition above has to be your best so far. Do a bit of searching around on the Mc Guire Programme and you will find out all is not so rosy in the garden. With allegations of the group being labelled a cult to falsified "fluency" results Im glad to see this group being exposed for what they are.

I was on the Mc Guire course back in 1999 and after being told I would be "a failure" if I did'nt suceed I began to see them in a different light.

If you want to walk around with a belt tied around your chest breathing like a robot, fine, if it helps some people, go for it. But, if you want to accept you have a stammer and try and come to terms with it, go for Patmar.

Have a read of this guy's experiences.
    http://david-rose.net/stammer7.html

The Patmar Programme changed my life...and the therapy cost me nothing back in 2004 through the HSE. Since then I have paid nothing...I have more or less supported myself through the tools I learnt on the course...that is what the course teaches you...to be your own therapist!
    As bmagee says..."it doesn't matter where you get help as long as you do get help"...I got free help on what I deem to be the best group intensive therapy course in Ireland for me!
    Each to their own! As long as the stammerer is happy...whatever course he has been on has been a success!
    Moving on from free speech therapy with Patmar...did I tell you I'm organising a free Patmar Reunion on Saturday 24th April at The Sligo Park Hotel with free food and drink provisions!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

There is no point in entertaining applemaker. He's making these ridiculous posts to rile other users up. I'm confident and happy with the therapy I've received, and it wasn't the Maguire programme, I'll keep my opinion of the Maguire programme to myself.

On a point that bmagee made on the Patrick Kelly Stammering Programme being the only course run by Speech Therapists, the Dublin Adult Stuttering (DAS) course is also run by Speech Therapists, this course is very similiar to the PATMAR programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 applemaker

I seem to have rattled quite a few cages.. was not my intention. apologies if i offended anybody with my use of grammer. i am not stammerer so i do not know anything much about this topic. my apologies once again.

applemaker wrote: »
    I seem to have rattled quite a few cages.. was not my intention. apologies if i offended anybody with my use of grammer. i am not stammerer so i do not know anything much about this topic. my apologies once again.

You didn't rattle my cage applemaker...didn't appreciate you posting in a thread started by my goodself to advertise the Patmar Reunion next month...but I thank you for getting this thread 300 hits in the past week...cheers mate!:)
    By the way...you don't know much about stammering and you are a speech therapist as posted on the Maguire Programme thread in this forum??? :confused:

• Advertisement

3 weeks from this Easter Saturday and counting!!!
    Still the only stammering event so far this year that is free...no costs for room hire or refreshments...your presence is more important than money!!!:D
    See you there in S-s-sligo...wwwwhhhhhere we can prrrrrractise our Patmar tools...and if you staying later on in to the evening or overnight (like myself) we can have a bit of banter over a few bevies!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

A good stratey is probably if Maguire course doesn't work for you, do Patmar as well and vice versa.. until ya get your own cure, at whatever level that cure is.

Can people please keep to the title of the thread and what this thread is for...highlighting the Patmar Reunion...and for people who are making or can't make the trip to Sligo to post on!
    Any other persons who wish to debate which therapy course is the best or what course to go on can you please start another thread. Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Paul4As wrote: »
    Can people please keep to the title of the thread and what this thread is for...highlighting the Patmar Reunion...and for people who are making or can't make the trip to Sligo to post on!
    Any other persons who wish to debate which therapy course is the best or what course to go on can you please start another thread. Thanks! :)

Did you just tell me off Paul? :D

Doesn't happen often!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Paul, you're dead right. I don't like threads going off-topic, it makes it difficult for users to find the information they need if they have to trawl through the posts. There are other threads in the forum on the Maguire programme etc.

Thanks guys! :)

I and my wee mate Niall who is helping to organise the reunion will be hovering around the reception stroke lounge area of the Sligo Park Hotel from about 1:45pm on Saturday week...I'll probably have a laminated poster on display...though familiar faces will probably be spotted around the hotel!!!
    Really looking forward to the craic now!!! :D

I'll definitely pop in if i remember..

Any chance of a head-count as to how many will be there on the day?

I've no idea how many people are going to be there...there were 10 at the last one!!!
    I've sent out a few texts and emails and posted here!!! I don't look for replies...I'm happy out whether 5 turn up or 55!!! :D
    It is all about getting the Patmar Reunions up and running again!!!
    A support network (even if it is only annually) is crucial...particularly from those who have done the same therapy course as yourself!

As mentioned earlier myself and Niall will be in the lounge area of the hotel from 1:45pm on Saturday...HOWEVER...please note that at about 2:15pm we will be making our way to the room that has been hired.
    So try to make it there before 2:15pm please!
    If you can't be there before 2:15pm then pm me and I will pm you back with my mobile number which you can either text or ring on the day to locate us!
    I think the Sligo Park Hotel is all booked up for this Saturday...a pal was trying to get a room for himself a few days ago! Hopefully the rooms are all occupied by ex-Patmar attendees looking for the best of craic at the reunion!!! :D

• Advertisement

Paul,

Completely forgot about this til now.

PM me info if you're online before everything wraps up!

Advertisement