Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Phase or Three Phase Machinery

Options
  • 03-10-2009 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

I am setting up a woodwork workshop and am in the process of sourcing machines. I will be doing quiet a bit of work. Should I go for single or three phase machines? Is three phase much more economical than using single phase machines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

What type of work will you be doing...??
    If your doing kitchens single phase will do you but you would be better go for 3 phase if your doing heavier types of work like off standard joinery.
    Got 3 phase in myself for my workshop when I built my house..cost me a grand on top of my connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 rexel1

I will be running a large bandsaw, sanders and dust extractors.

Is three phase much cheaper than single phase on your monthly bill

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

I think it is a little cheaper but I'm sure someone else on here would know better than me. I have mine all part of the one meter. 3 phase is excellent though great comfort with it...lots of power.:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

if you can get 3phase power then get it, as said POWER is the main reason and there is a big difference between single pjhase and 3 phase, a lot of the singlephase market is aimed at the home handyman and these things can be fiddly and overpriced, 3Phase gear is marketed towards serious players and is generally of a better quality

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

3 Phase is the way to go, if and I say If you have access to a 3 phase supply without having to sell your wife and kids to get it in . Sander wise any of the wide belt sanders are pulling up to 45 Amps across all 3 phases on start up ,not a option on single phase . As one of posters it really depends on your plans for the future . Cost wise for a shop working with 25 Cabinet makers , a couple of CNCs , a Beam saw , 4 Cutter , a fairly decent dust extractor , a 10 by 4 Veneer press , our bill is approx a 100 Euros a day some days more some days less . Good luck with the new venture . Watch your waste !!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement