Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"crankshaft seal leak"

• 03-10-2009 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

I was getting two new front tyres the other day and was sitting in the waiting area(i wont say where for the moment). I noticed that almost everyone was called up to the desk and told about a list of problems found on their cars. Now being a cynical bas**rd i awaited my turn...and what do ya know he calls me out to the garage to show me the leak in the the "crankshaft seal".
    So he shone the light at the engine and told me i had the leak, he also said it was leaking oil and very low. I asked him to show me where and he just pointed vaguely at it and said "its ok because the part is only €15.....but itll take 2 hours labour"...and still didnt show me the leak.

Now the car is a Corolla T-sport and can be thristy enough with oil, but i keep a close check on it(its slightly low alright) and know there is never a drop of oil on the ground where i park it.

So anyway, what ya think? It seems to me a ploy to get unnecessary work done. I just happen to have it booked in with a mate to fit springs next week so he'll be checking it anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

You wouldn't be able to see the seal without stripping out the crankshaft pulley - your fan belt is run off it, which would also have to be removed.

It is any professional garage's duty to inform the customer of faults they uncover, accidentally or while diagnosing/checking a car over. Granted, they're trying to generate some business for themselves, but that's what keeps them open. See what your mechanic says, you're entitled to a second opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If its not dripping oil, I wouldnt do anything with it.
    Was he sure its the crackshaft seal or was it just abit oily around the bottom of the engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

You wouldn't be able to see the seal without stripping out the crankshaft pulley - your fan belt is run off it, which would also have to be removed.

It is any professional garage's duty to inform the customer of faults they uncover, accidentally or while diagnosing/checking a car over. Granted, they're trying to generate some business for themselves, but that's what keeps them open. See what your mechanic says, you're entitled to a second opinion!

Are you in that line by any chance?

mickdw wrote: »
    If its not dripping oil, I wouldnt do anything with it.
    Was he sure its the crackshaft seal or was it just abit oily around the bottom of the engine?

Im no mechanic so all i can say is, there is definately no oil on the ground where i park it. Last service was 9k miles ago and i havent had to top up since then. Today i did add some oil just to bring her back to a decent level but it was defo above the min mark and hadnt moved...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Does the car have a timing belt and was there any mention of oil getting on it from the leaking seal. I have seen timing belts covered in oil from crank seal leaks. Oil + rubber = bad.

• Advertisement

deadlast wrote: »
    Are you in that line by any chance?

Yes.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Does the car have a timing belt and was there any mention of oil getting on it from the leaking seal. I have seen timing belts covered in oil from crank seal leaks. Oil + rubber = bad.

Timing chain

Yes.

Ok, i see where you're coming from. The leak may or may not be there, i'll know when i get a second opinion.

As I said, maybe i'm just cynical, but i'd say a lot of unnecessary work is carried out on peoples cars by garages like this. I mean, you could find a fault with anything and recommend it be changed but whether replacement is needed is a different story...

The garages aren't doing anything wrong, suppose i just don't agree with it.

Okay, but what if you brought the car to your mechanic during the week and he pointed out the leak to you, with this fault missed by the first garage. This would probably madden you that the car was in prior to this visit and wasn't spotted. What would you do then?

If the fault is reported, they're scammers - if the fault is not reported, they're negligent. Either way, the customer is unhappy but it is better to err on the side of caution. (From the mechanics perspective)

Okay, but what if you brought the car to your mechanic during the week and he pointed out the leak to you, with this fault missed by the first garage. This would probably madden you that the car was in prior to this visit and wasn't spotted. What would you do then?

If the fault is reported, they're scammers - if the fault is not reported, they're negligent. Either way, the customer is unhappy but it is better to err on the side of caution. (From the mechanics perspective)

But I went in for two new front tyres...

• Advertisement

I know, but without fully knowing what happened, I have to assume the mechanic spotted oil on the sump, with the wheels off, and went for a closer look - then he came up with your fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If there is no oil on the ground and it is leaking, it's doing it very very slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

This is it... If you tell them there is a problem, you're taking advantage and if you don't spot a problem and someone else does, you're the worst in the world then....

It sounds more to me like a small weap of oil more than an actual oil leak that is causing oil to appear on a driveway.

If I noticed that OP, I'd advise you to keep a close eye on it, check your oil level weekly and keep an eye for a leak. If you wanted it changed I'd change it, I'd recommend that you get it done, but I wouldn't be pushing you to get it done as a matter of urgency, because it doesn't sound like a critical problem, more a small weap of oil from a seal which is not a big problem requiring immediate action like for example a badly worn ball joint or badly worn brake pads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Darragh29 wrote: »
    This is it... If you tell them there is a problem, you're taking advantage and if you don't spot a problem and someone else does, you're the worst in the world then....
    I think it comes down to whether it is an actual problem or not. And like you said, tell the customer it's there and let them decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭anon11

What car is it? Most cars with timing chains only take about 10 mins max to change a crank oil seal

Advertisement