Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer clean up

• 03-10-2009 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

i just got a new laptop and i want to know how to get the maximum efficiency out of my computer. There was thread up here before of a list of things you can do but i just cant find it. if anyone can give me a link to it or give me any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

What operating system is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Is this the post you are thinking of?

Mind you even if you do the steps above I'm still of the opinion Vista is ****.

If your laptop is new, you might be eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 7, which I would avail of the minute it's released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

download all the essential drivers off your manufacturers website ingnoring all the crap (i.e. applications like Dell support that only slow the thing down).

burn them to a DVD or copy to a USB key.

Reinstall the operating system.

Install all the essential drivers.

Go into control panel and disable all the features you don't need (i.e. tablet PC support, Aero, that kind of thing).

I find boot time is typically 20% faster after doing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Complete reinstall would be best but if you just want to try remove oem installed crap you could give this a go.. http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/
    Automatically uninstalls alot of the crap that manufacturers put on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Redisle wrote: »
    Complete reinstall would be best but if you just want to try remove oem installed crap you could give this a go.. http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/
    Automatically uninstalls alot of the crap that manufacturers put on..

I've tried things like that before, but to be honest I find a complete reinstall quicker, easier and more effective.

• Advertisement
Advertisement