Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a new pc. need some help :)

Options
  • 03-10-2009 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello ppl. im new here and i need some help.im building a new pc.

well, here is my current pc (pls dont laugh :D)

Pentium4 HT 3.4ghz
    gForce 7600gt:rolleyes:(bought this for 230 yoyos from peats 3 years ago:pac:****)
    Ram: 1gb(i think its 200 mhz lol)
    HDD:500gb
    PSU:350W
    SOoooo as u can see, its rly rly slow pc compared to today's quad core pcs :pac:

My budget is around 1000euro.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: in 1-2 weeks

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
    1.Photoshop cs4 (im not a photographer btw, so i wont be editing photos. im a design student, and ill be using cs4 for painting, drawing with my wacom tablet, ill be using his res. image size, and i think im gonna need more RAM for this(8gbs?), rather than fast CPU. if im wrong plc correct me :))
    2.Google Sketchup+3D rendering
    3.Gaming at 1080 res.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:
    Monitor. ive got 24 inch new Hd monitro. and ill be playing games at 1080 res.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:
    Komplett.ie, Dabs.ie, Hardwareversand.de, Scan.ie, Elara.ie, ebuyer.com, pixmania.ie etc.

OVERCLOCKING:
    No. i won't be overclocking this machine for a few years. so i think i dont need a super duper cpu heatsink :D

PARTS PREFERENCES: welll...this is where i get lost. amd or intel? i know i know... i7 9xx is fast. but its too expensive for me. So im leaning towards phenom x4 955, i5 750 or i7 860.

Remember, i wont upgrade this pc for another 3-4 years.

Thank you! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Please, no need for shouting in here :P Use Bold for highlighting/titles/dramatic emphasis please, not entire posts. That's just naughty :) And using full English is highly recommended too, if only because there are already so many acronyms in "the business" misspellings and text-speak will only confuse things further ;)

And a one-grand budget is more than enough for an i7 gaming build if you don't need a fancy monitor and expensive peripherals:

HWVS031009.png

€830 shipped. €850 if you need them to assemble it for you. Note that I didn't bother with a HD5850; you need this soon and the stock situation with those babies is still in flux. I'd hazard to say you wouldn't even need to OC this for a looong time ;) The Turbo Mode on the LGA1156 i7s is a lot more aggressive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mr.kh

Solitaire, dude, that was really quick! :p thank you for your reply!
    I like your build, but i think im gonna change the PSU you have choosen to Corsair 550w. what do you think? Also, im gonna add another 4 gb of ram, so it'll be 8 gb in total :pac::D AND gonna chnage the case to Thermaltake element S! The rest looks cool.(forgot to say that i've got 2 HDDs so i wont need that 1tb HDD) thank you once again!
    ahh i know what you mean aboout i7 860 turbo mode, i like that too ;) it's truly powerful CPU.

you see, i've nver ordered from hardwareversand.de and their prices look very good, but what about their service? will i get my goods on time? i''ve read some sad stories on boards :pac: about their service. Anyways. Thank you! Have a good weekend :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

mr.kh wrote: »
    I like your build, but i think im gonna change the PSU you have choosen to Corsair 550w. what do you think?

That's great. Main reasons I went for the Basiq Plus was a) some modularity and b) its actually in stock ;) Otherwise the two are of similar quality (CWT vs. Delta), similar output and similar price so no problems there :)
    Also, im gonna add another 4 gb of ram, so it'll be 8 gb in total

Unless you use colossal-sized images 4-6GB is the point of diminishing returns but if you think its an overwhelming issue then go ahead.
    i've nver ordered from hardwareversand.de and their prices look very good, but what about their service? will i get my goods on time?

Shipping is dead slow, which is why I was trying to stick to stuff that's in or near stock. Service is minimal, although that's an improvement over some companies I've dealt with far closer to home :rolleyes: Never expect much from e-tailers, that way you won't be disappointed :D

Of course this is all fine for 90% of people, but if you're very worried about delivery time and/or service then splitting the build components between Komplett and Pixmania instead may be wiser. If possibly a little pricier :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Pixmania and service????!!!

Ohhhhhhhh!!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

mr.kh wrote: »
    you see, i've nver ordered from hardwareversand.de and their prices look very good, but what about their service? will i get my goods on time? i''ve read some sad stories on boards :pac: about their service. Anyways. Thank you! Have a good weekend :)

do you mean customer service? I've tried to order of HWS before. If you just want to place an order and nothing else it's grand. Unfortunately myself, I needed clarification over payment issues, and customer service was non existent. I even went as far as getting a friend who is a native German to try and ring them up, and they still got nowhere. So if your order has anything out of the ordinary to go with, stick away from. If it's just a bog standard order of parts, no fuss, they are fine, although a wee bit unreliable when it comes to delivery dates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Stick an intel or OCZ SSd onto solitaire's build and you've got a solid graphics workstation there for some years. I think NV currently has better support for accelerating Adobe apps than ATI so perhaps swap for a GTX275/260.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mr.kh

Alright guys thank you for your all help! I need one more help, i want to share my broadband with my ma's laptop(through wifi), with my current PC and with my new pc which i'll be geting it next week. (im giving my current pc to my little brother :D .......he'll enjoy this powerful p4 ht for sure :pac:)
    My broadband connection is NTL(UPC) 6mb Cable.
    I know i need a router, a wifi cable router, am i correct? Can someone help me to choose one from komplett. :) thank you! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Effluo wrote: »
    Pixmania and service????!!!

Ohhhhhhhh!!! :o

Hey dont diss them, i ordered a 120€ graphics card and got sent a 500€ laptop.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Anti wrote: »
    Hey dont diss them, i ordered a 120€ graphics card and got sent a 500€ laptop.
    I remember reading that. Did you ever get your graphics card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

nope :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement