Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What won it for the Yes side?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

puffdragon wrote: »
    I on the other hand will not be here and the sooner I get out of this traitor ridden country the better

The sooner people like you leave never to return, the better everyone will be.

Such a disgusting attitude, the majority of the people dont agree with me. They are traitors! Im a patriot!

Horrible coward you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

I know it hurts dosent it, there there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

Fear and lies - but it is a good treaty on the whole so a weary yay by me.

I know it hurts dosent it, there there

Dont let the country hit you on the way out

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

PaulieD wrote: »
    Yes, but we are in a much worse position.

And you base this on?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

cooperguy wrote: »
    Less over the top lying compared to the 'No' side. Biggest own goal of the whole campaign was the 1.84 Coir thing

So Lenihan's "Yes to Jobs" wasn't as big a lie ? Odd, that, considering he denied it earlier on RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

When and how will Iceland get out of their much worse situation than ours?

Our we not a sovereign nation? fffs (for **** ****in sake)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

I on the other hand will not be here and the sooner I get out of this traitor ridden country the better

This is our country, the traitors may want to give it away but we must continue to oppose them. The battle has been lost, but the war has only begun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 odoylerulez

What won it?

Lies. Also there are a lot of people who just didn't bother to read the terms of the treaty(most of it unreadable anyway) yes convieniant that and interpret it for themselves or even ask themselves why its so unreadable when many european politicians pointed out why it was made so. Instead they voted and just hoped 'i hope this works out' sure the politicans on t.v said it is good for jobs so it must be....

But it doesn't matter what won it for the yes side. Now i can sit back and watch it all fall apart as slowly month by month the irish people who voted yes finally realise what they have let themselves in for. The fun starts here.

Your no longer a free citizen your a tool of the superstate and all your earnings, possessions and even your life is now subject to ownership. Well done ireland pat on the back time. If you think this is exaggeration the proof will be in the pudding in the next few months. What you think nambla, banking crisis isn't connected into this? LOL!

Folks these are the same people that drafted this constitution. Ahh nevermind sure coronation street and MOTD is on!!! You've been had and you don't even know it yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

This is our country, the traitors may want to give it away but we must continue to oppose them. The battle has been lost, but the war has only begun.

What war ( ahead | in your head)

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »

Id imagine its the war where you hangs around boards calling people traitors for not agreeing with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 odoylerulez

not so much a tiptoe totalitarism anymore as a bulldozer effort. They just aren't trying anymore because they don't fear the general population. They just see them as lazy, uneducated, slobbish hordes and given the way people have voted who could really blame them. More interested in watching coronation street then playing a major part in the future destiny of democracy on this island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

What swung it for me?Don't believe the 1.84 min wage for a second.
    Don't believe in any one of the guarantees we got either.
    Being ruled from Europe has got to be better than what's ruling us now.....
    Honestly, I'm completely past caring at this stage.Come on - when I go to work on Monday morning, how will anything have changed?When I go to work this time next year (assuming I still have a job) what will have changed that will directly affect my life as a result of this vote?
    It's done now. Time to move on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

marco_polo wrote: »

A figure of speech.

not so much a tiptoe totalitarism anymore as a bulldozer effort. They just aren't trying anymore because they don't fear the general population. They just see them as lazy, uneducated, slobbish hordes and given the way people have voted who could really blame them. More interested in watching coronation street then playing a major part in the future destiny of democracy on this island.

Im sorry

But if you are going to insult the entire nation for being uneducated and lazy, the least you can do is proof read your post before submitting it.

I cannot take anymore irony today.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i like to think i did my bit.

I lot of respect has to go out for the people that canvassed and did leaflet drops from *All Parties* and Groups for a yes vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭free-man

dan_d wrote: »
    What swung it for me?Don't believe the 1.84 min wage for a second.
    Don't believe in any one of the guarantees we got either.
    Being ruled from Europe has got to be better than what's ruling us now.....
    Honestly, I'm completely past caring at this stage.Come on - when I go to work on Monday morning, how will anything have changed?When I go to work this time next year (assuming I still have a job) what will have changed that will directly affect my life as a result of this vote?
    It's done now. Time to move on.

So basically you acknowledge that the mainstream politicians and lots of yes campaigners lied but you went ahead anyway and voted yes, and you dont think there's any impact on your life as a result.

Interesting position :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

sceptre wrote: »
    Erm, that only applies to classical mechanics I'm afraid, not sociology. Newton knew that rather well when he wrote it.

Sceptre did you ever stop for a second before deciding what route you go down? Like with the yes vote everyone on yes side saying it will cause a good difference to our economy.So therefore this law applies with everything.
    Tomorrow you go out and put hundred euro on a sure thing and win,but you ignore you loose :D

So for every action decision step there is always equal and opposite reaction ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

K-9 wrote: »
    So it was the economy, stupid.

What else won it for the Yes side?

I think O'Leary played a part as he could call Ganley, SF, McKenna et all failures and rejects and remind the electorate that the vast majority wouldn't vote for them.

The mainstream parties couldn't be as direct.

Common sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

We are polar opposites in fact. Iceland realised that they did not want to throw their national sovereignty away just for an EU bailout. They will get out of their current predicament quicker than we will get out of ours, and still be a sovereign independent nation.

Without even (obviously) knowing the slightest of Icelandic politics apart from a wiki or a google flipthrough, you say that? Ikke noe peiling eller?

Iceland's economy is sincerely up sh*t creek with the British and Dutch govts as a sizeable chunk of outside investment in the Icelandic banking system was based on British and Dutch investments.
    These two countries will block IMF intervention til the cows come home or they get their dues back and if they do receive this, other investing countries will follow suit and swoop in.
    Iceland will still have to look elsewhere for economic salvaging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

What you think nambla, banking crisis isn't connected into this? LOL!
    What does the North American Man/Boy Love Association have to do with Lisbon. Don't tell me now that Lisbon is passed that we'll have dirty old men bad touching young boys. :eek:

WHAT HAVE WE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

caseyann wrote: »
    Sceptre did you ever stop for a second before deciding what route you go down? Like with the yes vote everyone on yes side saying it will cause a good difference to our economy.So therefore this law applies with everything.
    Tomorrow you go out and put hundred euro on a sure thing and win,but you ignore you loose :D

So for every action decision step there is always equal and opposite reaction ;)
    I'm sorry, and won't be more curt than is absolutely necessary to preserve existence as it is, but not only does that post make less than no sense, a feat in itself, but it will actually make anyone who reads it slightly less smart than they were before and might cause the universe to give up and collapse in on itself if chanted in a mirror. Please don't view this post as encouraging a reply. I'm usually far less condescending than this but please consider what you're doing to the fabric of time-space when you put words together like that.

Though obviously welcome to the forum:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 godspot

the goverment that wasted all the money trying to appease everybody and buy votes in the last election and the bunch of morons that make up the majority of the opposition scared enough of the people who voted no the last time into voting yes. if i thought they had any brains i would say they organised the reccession but we all know they couldn,t organise a p.ss up in a brewery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

The Decision of the 27 EU Heads of States or Government agreed at the June European Council on Ireland’s legal guarantees will constitute an international agreement, which will take effect on the date of entry into force of the Lisbon Treaty. This will be legally binding under international law and will be registered with the United Nations.

If the Lisbon Treaty is approved by all EU Member States, including by Ireland in a further referendum and subsequently enters into force, the Decision will be annexed to the Treaties at the time of the conclusion of the next accession treaty for a new Member State. Protocols form an integral part of the Treaties to which they are annexed and have the same legal status as the Treaties themselves.

Just a thought, but in order to get the same legal status as the Treaties themselves for the guarantees which were secured by the Irish Government since the first referedum defeat of Lisbon, the next Treaty, more than likely an accession Treaty, will have to be passed, otherwise the guarantees will not be enforceable in the European Court of Justice. The next Treaty will sail through in this country anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

EF wrote: »
    ...otherwise the guarantees will not be enforceable in the European Court of Justice.

Which is exactly why the guarantees have been submitted to the UN as ultimate authority on making sure they are kept. If we have any issue that a guarantee has been broken we can effectively bypass Europe and go straight to the UN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

fear and lies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

A lack of international observers and secure chain of custody? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

free-man wrote: »
    The misleading poster & media campaign that a Yes to Lisbon was going to improve the economy and lead to job creation, which has been backtracked on by Brian Lenihan this morning.

The backtracking by Brian Lenihan on the job creation promises in the YES campaign, within 24 hours of the result being announced, finally smothers the dying embers of whatever credibility he might have had left and should reinforce public cynicism both in him, his party leader and the other YES parties, who rode this "YES for JOBS" bandwagon to the finish line. Michael O'Leary at least had the honesty to admit that the only job a Yes vote would save is Brian Cowens'. Now even the Yes campaigners accept that getting the result they wanted, won't lead to job creation.

I seem to recall that during the first referendum campaign, the Lisbon Treaty was referred to by the Yes side as a mere 'housekeeping exercise' that just tidied up a few things, which was why it was so hard to sell the benefits of the treaty to the public. I was amazed then, that when campaigning for the second vote, the same treaty document(with protocols attached-none of which related to job creation) was somehow transformed(promoted) into something that would create jobs, lead to economic recovery and give us a strong voice in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

asdasd wrote: »
    Fear.

+ 1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

triple-M wrote: »
    fear and lies
    thats pretty much it

lets see when these jobs and economic recovery arrive

Advertisement