Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accessing the college x and y drive on your laptop.

• 03-10-2009 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

hi there, if anyone is using the college internet with their laptop and want to access their personal x-drive or the public y drive, there was a generic e-mail sent around by the tech department.
    however, if you cant follow the guide and need some help, send me a pm and ill meet up with you and we can sort it out.

free of charge of course!

im living in ballyraine apartment's so im very local.

thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Is this just for Ballyraine or anywhere? Would be a very handy thing to be able to do

Cant seem to access my email at the moment for some reason..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

at the moment it looks like the lyit network is offline, as we cant access the internet from ballyraine.

harps, i think lyit pipe their internet to ashlawn too, but im not 100% on that, so at the moment it seems to be only ballyraine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

at the moment it looks like the lyit network is offline, as we cant access the internet from ballyraine.

harps, i think lyit pipe their internet to ashlawn too, but im not 100% on that, so at the moment it seems to be only ballyraine.

there were problems over the weekend with conficker virus.. surprised anti-virus didn't stop it spreading.

weiss wrote: »
    there were problems over the weekend with conficker virus.. surprised anti-virus didn't stop it spreading.

thanks weiss. hopefully its been sorted. shame to have to use the lyit internet down there.... im getting my own smart 24mb installed, but it might take a few more days..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

hi there, if anyone is using the college internet with their laptop and want to access their personal x-drive or the public y drive, there was a generic e-mail sent around by the tech department.
    however, if you cant follow the guide and need some help, send me a pm and ill meet up with you and we can sort it out.

free of charge of course!

im living in ballyraine apartment's so im very local.

thanks!

Heya,

Can you post that email on here so I can try it.

• Advertisement

theboss80 wrote: »
    Heya,

Can you post that email on here so I can try it.

hey theboss80, i cant find the e-mail, but ill get it off someone asap and pm it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭XDivaX

I tried to attach the file with instructions(circulated by the tech dept itself via email) but it keeps failing for some reason so I'll copy/paste it

Setting Up Student Wireless in Windows XP
      - When your wireless card is turned on it should automatically detect the LYIT-Student wireless connection, and come up with the message that it is unable to find a certificate to log you on. - Follow the following steps to set up the wireless. 1. Click on Change advanced settings on your Wireless Network Connection. 2. The following window will appear. Please choose the tab that says Wireless Networks. 3. If the preferred networks box is empty Choose the Add...button and go to Step 4 Else Choose Properties… and continue to step 5 4. Key in LYIT-Student in the Network name (SSID) box. (type this carefully!!) Date encryption is WEP 5. Choose the Authentication tab. Change the EAP type to Protected EAP (PEAP) Untick Authenticate as computer when computer information is available Choose Properties.. 6. Untick Validate server certificate Choose Configure…. Tick Enable Fast Reconnect 7. Untick Automatically use my windows logon name and password. 8. On the bottom right corner a box will appear for your credentials. Click on the box. 9. Use your valid LYIT username, password, and the bottom line should read LYITNET. You are now connected to the wireless network. These settings will only need to be setup once, and the wireless should automatically connect you as soon as you are within range of an access point.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭XDivaX

Setting Up Student Wireless in Windows Vista Home

1. Choose Start… Network

2. Choose Network and Sharing Centre

3. Choose Set up a connection or network

4. Choose Manually connect to a wireless network

5. Enter in the following details
    Carefully – Network name is case-senitive !

Network name :
    LYIT-Student
    Security type:
    Choose 802.1x

Click Next…

6. Choose Change Connection settings

7. Choose the Security Tab

8. Choose the settings tab

9. Untick Validate Server certificate

Choose the configure tab

10. Untick Automatically use my Windows logon name and password

11.The following message should appear on the bottom of your screen.

Just click on this message

12. The following box should appear

Input YOUR username
    Input YOUR password
    Put LYITNET as the logon Domain

13. Wireless should now be setup

Cant paste the pictures!
    Sorry I'm too lazy to c/p for macs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 .K3N

Any chance of doing a quick short version on how to access it on Mac (Leopard)?

Cheers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dhun na nGall

anyone know how to connect a ipod touch/ipone yet to the wifi????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mullalliban

Basic instructions for getting ipod touch or iPhone onto LYIT Wi-Fi:

When you access the Wi-Fi Settings, you will see the LYIT-Student option appear. Ignore it. It does not have the correct security settings for accessing the network.
    Instead there should be a tab underneath called "Other..."

When you access this option, you need to enter the SSID of the network (LYIT-Student), it is case sensitive, and set the security to "WPA Enterprise".

2 new fields appear that allow you to enter your username and password, those being your L000 number and your account password, same as setting up the laptop.

After that the ipod connects and there is full access to the internet. I haven't encountered any problams at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭loca1

Question not related to topic but wondering does anyone know how to stop iPhone viewing the lyit website in mobile version. When I first got my phone it worked fine and I was able to view the full site and get my email now I just get the news page on mobile view it is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

Didn't realise this was possible at all! must check it out. Easter break now though.

Handy to get online with my ipod touch..

Advertisement