Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

URGENT insurance question

• 03-10-2009 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭

Had an accident while drivin my gf's car today, im currently with quinn direct on 3rd party fire and theft im allowed drive any private car with the owners premission if a claim goes in against me (as it will cause im at fault). It wont affect my gf's policy will it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I think it will. It is something you will also have to declare yourself if you try to obtain cover on your own policy within the next 5 years...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If the claim is made against the OPs insurance rather than his g/fs then AFAIK her policy remains clean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kbannon wrote: »
    If the claim is made against the OPs insurance rather than his g/fs then AFAIK her policy remains clean

Who decides whether the claim is made against the OPs insurer or the g/fs insurer? It seems natural that the details of the insurance discs on the cars involved in the accident are used (i.e. the g/fs insurer), but then what would be the point of having a "driving other cars" perk on the OPs insurance?

Probably best to ring your insurer asap, OP and tell them exactly what happened and let us know what they told you. Best of luck with your troubles.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't know the logistics but surely it can be done - as you suggest, otherwise the perk is useless.
    I presume that the OP can tell his insurance company and they will deal with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

OP, after the accident did you give the other party your details or your GFs? Assuming they took your GFs details, what should happen is that the other party will either contact her insurance company, or their own insurance company who will then contact hers. They will contact your GF (although she should contact first just to explain if possible). Your GF will explain that you were driving and provide your contact and insurance details (so give them to her). They will be passed back to the other party or their insurance company, and then your insurance company will be contacted (so again you should contact them first if possible). The claim should go through against your policy and not affect hers. The insurance companies should be used to dealing with this type of situation so whenever you or your GF are dealing with one just make sure they're aware of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If you're also insured to drive on your girlfriends policy, the claim will go in on her policy. If not, it will go through on your and not effect your girlfriends at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

unkel wrote: »
    Who decides whether the claim is made against the OPs insurer or the g/fs insurer? It seems natural that the details of the insurance discs on the cars involved in the accident are used (i.e. the g/fs insurer), but then what would be the point of having a "driving other cars" perk on the OPs insurance?

Probably best to ring your insurer asap, OP and tell them exactly what happened and let us know what they told you. Best of luck with your troubles.

I wouldn't have thought there's anything to decide: his is the only policy that was covering him to drive the car. There was simply no cover in place from his g/f's policy (unless his g/f has an open drive option on her policy, but he didn't mention that there is)

The only way I can see it affecting her policy is if she has comprehensive ins and decides to claim to fix the damage on her own car.

Advertisement