Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External Flashes

• 03-10-2009 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to take decent indoor night pics without a hot shoe flash on your camera??

I have been asked to do a 30th birthday party at the end of the month but I don't have one of these, I think Conns Camera Shop hire out equipment. The flash on my camera takes on a life of it's own and tends to blind people, you only have 30 secs to get peoples attention at a party for pics so I can't afford to be waiting around for my flash to get it's act together

I have an Olympus E520

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Flash is pretty essential to be honest if your doing indoor stuff.

Pop up will just end up pissing you off more than anything else, and for group shots probably wont have enough coverage to fill the frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

I know your right really goes down to the golden rule of no light no picture, right going to have to get one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

yes and no.

If lighting in the venue was really good and your lens was really good (2.8, 2, or 1.7 perhaps), and your camera gear was well capable of going up the available ISO, and your subjects would stay relatively still then you'd have some chance - but i'd guess that this set of circumstances may be difficult to achieve.

So, you then are into a hot shoe flash unit probably bouncing off reasonably low ceiling to give an even spread of light and minimise undesirable shadows on your subjects.

There are other stop gap measures - the likes of the lumiquest screens

softscreen.jpg

which will be better and will soften the light somewhat. But you'd be best to get your hands on a proper external flash unit i'd think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Thanks ancat!

I am going to organise a little house party so I can test out your theory but if I try it and it does not work then I am just going to have to bite the bullet and get the external flash. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

One of the big advantages of an external flash on an Oly is the focus assist lamp, it really speeds up focus in low light conditions

When you do get one this guide is really useful in setting up.

If you want an cheaper alternative to genuine Oly flashes, I've seen good reports of Metz units (like this one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    If lighting in the venue was really good and your lens was really good (2.8, 2, or 1.7 perhaps), and your camera gear was well capable of going up the available ISO, and your subjects would stay relatively still then you'd have some chance - but i'd guess that this set of circumstances may be difficult to achieve.

Just to follow this line of thought for a second - take a look at Janer's last random thread post.

If the Exif's accurate - no flash, ISO 1600, f1.4, 5D MkII and i'm guessing from the pose that the subject isn't jumping about the place. So, if circumstances, environment and gear are all correct, it obviously can be done.

Very nice Janer by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

nilhg wrote: »
    One of the big advantages of an external flash on an Oly is the focus assist lamp, it really speeds up focus in low light conditions
    The focus assist lamp is what I could do with, but my 430 EX II doesn't come with one? Is it the 580 EX II? I liked the smallness of the 430 EX II, the 580 EX II is bigger and heavier. :(

Advertisement