Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me build my audio PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Ya well first things first....

Komplett may have a local outlet but their pricing leaves a lot to be desired.

www.hardwareversand.de do some of the best prices in Europe, will build it for 20 and deliver it all for 30!

The case you've chosen, is MASSIVE!!!! A full tower... If you know what you're getting yourself involved with, with the case then go ahead if you want it. However it's really not that necessary.

Loads a cases for <100 which are great!

You went with a m(micro) atx mobo... Not sure why! Wouldn't quite suit your full tower case.

The soundcard you chose is completely unnecessary the onboards sound on the mobo would be pretty much the same.

You need a different psu! The budget ones are just a bad idea. They'll cost more on the electric bill in the long term, not to mention the chances of it breaking down in the future is also quite high. Don't worry though, a corsair 400watt for about 40 is all you need in this pc.

Don't have time now to check out benchmarks in the program you listed, so maybe i'll check it out tomorrow or maybe someone else will? Just to see what kind of hardware gives those programs the biggest boost. I'd recon the i5/i7 would prob be the winner though.

In reality i'd say you could spend a lot less than your 1k budget and still get a great performing pc for your needs!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Creative Fatality sound card has about 4 million inputs for instruments (assuming you play) so altho a bit expensive the inputs it has make it worth it for musicians.

+ what he said above.

i built a Cubase pc for a mates kid and it was 700

Antec case from elara with PSU 100
    Dual core upgrade kit from komplett (mobo 2gb ram and 6850cpu) 290
    fatality audigy 100
    Hd and dvd burner 50
    another 2gb ram 50

that was about a year ago and hes still playing stairway to heaven and using cubase to make it sound good :D

EDIT he was using it on a POS laptop so i benchmarked with 14 tracks and found that it was RAM monster. More so as its badly made than anything else. So i went with 4gb of ram as he reckoned he would use the around 20 or tracks in the memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

just repeating what everyone else says.

the case is overkill, the PSU is weak, mATX makes no sense and the SSD seems unnecessary to me (I'm not sure on how Cubase interacts with the hardware, but i've never found there to be much reading and writing with audio before).

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jibbs

Thanks for the advice lads!
    I've made the recommended changes to case, PSU and MoBo.
    Saved me a few quid too.
    Thanks again,
    Jibbs

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Err... Isn't noise an issue?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Solitaire wrote: »
    Err... Isn't noise an issue?

not necessarily. It depends on the recording setup I guess. Although in me own experience there isn't a lot to be gained from spending extra money on quiet PC components over recording equipment.

If recording with electronic instruments (which most people do these days) it doesn't come into it at all as long as the leads are all correctly shielded. And very few people I know who record acoustically will sit in front of their PC when recording, and even then spending money on good quality mics instead of a quiet PC makes more sense, as by rights the recording should be done in front of an insulator to prevent echo and artifacts of environment.

It's up to the end user to know their own recording environment, but typically there'd be better ways of spending money imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Marcface

Cooler Master Cosmos Type S Big Tower

Poor Komplett... it's just called the Cosmos Sport.. :D
    But yeah I have this case, it's absolutely divine. LOADS of space, VERY strong, the little ski-type-things make it easy to drag across floors if you need to move it about in a hurry, the sides open down with a little flick button at the back and fix back with surprisingly firm magnets and latches. The huge fan on the side is completely silent.

Advice-wise.. I know you've got a budget, but I'm -not- a great fan of the new i5 and I'd seriously recommend the i7 920, it is an absolutely stunning processor, mine runs at 3.1Ghz with the stock cooler and is literally never stressed by anything, and trust me, I put it through alot, but you then run into problems with the entire build being built around the socket 1156, as I couldn't find any cheap m-ATX LGA1366 boards with 2x Firewire ports.. hope I haven't simply confused you more :confused:

Marc

Forgot to mention, the i5 does NOT have HT tech, 8 processing threads would be extremely useful for audio production from the i7 as opposed to 4 from the i5

Advertisement