Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does my cat hate me???

Options
  • 03-10-2009 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

I have a cat Tilly. He is nearly 6 months old. He is so sweet and cute.
    We adopted him on a whim one day in my sisters when we saw hed been rejected by his mam and fell in love with him.We have given him everything, every shot, every vaccine, we have spent over 500e(exc insurance) since we got him just to make sure hes okay, and he is.Hes now big and bold. We adore him and adopting him was a great decision:)

One things worrying me though.I think my cat hates me... let me explain...

He is pretty cheeky--- he knows theres certian things hes not allowed do but he still does them. He knows hes not allowed on the kitchen table or on the kitchen counters-but he still does it (we have a sitting room/kitchen in our flat so we cant help him going in- we moving to a new house in next few weeks)When he does these i give him a little tap on the nose and say "No" He normally runs off and gives me the sad doe eyes from the corner-and my parner picks him up and starts with his "good boy never mind her goo goo goo "

So im pretty much the bad guy-but the way i see it we eat off the table and make food on the counters and he has to know its not allowed.

Ive told my partner to stop babying him when i give out to him... but no im the bitch and hes just a baby and im being horrible to him ...

Only now the cats being weird around me, if i go to pick him up he runs off, in the morning when we open the bedroom door for him to come in he jumps into my partners arms and nuzzles, i try to hug him and he leaps out of my arms and back to my partner.

Can someone shed some light here? Does he hate me or am i just seen as the bad guy. I cant leave him jump all over the place and sleep on our kitchen table but i dont want him not coming near me.:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭cosnochta

I think you have to stop tapping him on the nose. He IS only a baby, and while he has to learn the boundaries, there are other ways.

In my experience, cats pretty much do as they please. My mother's 15 year old cat STILL walks around on the kitchen table whenever we're not looking, so be prepared for many years of picking him up and putting him where he is supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

No slapping or nose tapping. Clap your hands and let out a sharp noise, and if he doesn't respond to that by jumping down, lift him down off the counter and make the noise again.

And point out to your parter that those paws that are wandering across your counter have been treading in the litter box.

It's hard to train cats to stay off surfaces, but it is possible to do it or at least to greatly reduce the amount of time they spend up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

We had a problem with the three cats going on the counter at night when we weren't around (they get hissed at when they do something bad and have never been tapped or slapped, which works for when we're there, but being cats they have minds of their own) and we got the following gizmo: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_flaps_nets/cat_repellants/53130

It's a bit pricey, but well worth the money as it really worked and best of all, the cat just thinks "ooh this is an unpleasant spot" rather than "nasty human hurt me for some reason". You can move it from spot to spot until the cat gets it into their head that kitchen surfaces are not pleasant places to jump up on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Blueprint wrote: »
    we got the following gizmo: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_flaps_nets/cat_repellants/53130

It's a bit pricey, but well worth the money!

thats not pricey-i thought it was 100euro when ya said that. so its good. that could work. its just he can be so bold and he would jump on the table 2 seconds after i give out to him for it:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Cats can be a funny animal. A cat makes you respect them and make you work for their attention. They are very loving animals. Your chap is only a young fella. Give him time. Dont get angry with him, thats just the way they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

If you slapped me on my nose, I'd hate you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Stopping the feline monster from going on a surface is easy just put a claymore mine onto it.

The less messy option is to get a cardboard box flatten it out then put loads of double sided sticky tape on to it and put it onto the table top.

Cats hate it when they walk onto things that give their pads trouble....my own choice is the claymores.....

Advertisement