Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating LC.

Options
  • 03-10-2009 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭

I did my LC in 2007, I can't remember my Results exactly but only achieved 305 points, due to circumstances just around that time.

I would like to repeat this year as I have decided I want to go back to college before I get too old for it. I dropped out of Comp Sci UCC after a few months of realising I hate it.

Anyway, my Question is.

If I were to repeat 3 subjects only and I did well in these Subjects would the Points I achieve be calculated from the Combined points of my Highest 6 which combined from both 2007 and 2010?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Simple answer is no im afraid, you cant add up two different leaving certs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 imo

if you are looking to do a course that requires a grade such as C1 or higher, then as far as i know, if you achieve that grade in either LC, it counts. BUT you cannot merge two LC's for the purpose of achieving the points required for a course. check it out with CAO office or a guidance counsellor i'd say before you start choosing subjects...
    Fair play to you for going back to do it- and good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

imo wrote: »
    if you are looking to do a course that requires a grade such as C1 or higher, then as far as i know, if you achieve that grade in either LC, it counts. BUT you cannot merge two LC's for the purpose of achieving the points required for a course. check it out with CAO office or a guidance counsellor i'd say before you start choosing subjects...
    Fair play to you for going back to do it- and good luck!!

If I can't merge scores it's unlikely I'll go back for the leaving!!! I have good enough Maths and English and Irish to get any course in the country, just not good enough points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

once you are 23 you don't need the leaving cert to enter college. you can go in as a mature student. I suppose you are 20 now?

what course do you want to do? 305 points could get you into a course after which you could then transfer say to the second year of the degree you want.

pathway33 wrote: »
    once you are 23 you don't need the leaving cert to enter college. you can go in as a mature student. I suppose you are 20 now?

what course do you want to do? 305 points could get you into a course after which you could then transfer say to the second year of the degree you want.

I am 20, I want to do either Psychology or Event Management. Anywhere out of Cork.

If I were to transfer into another course I would lose a year, I want to start off on the course I want. Psychology would be my first choice. That would mean I need nearly 500 points for most courses in the country.

Can someone Do first year in one course, then transfer into first year of another course after completing first year???

I will have to pay to go back and I don't want to wait until I am 23, I will be too old to actually enjoy college.

• Advertisement

I think you can do psychology through arts in UCC. 360 points ish

Can someone Do first year in one course, then transfer into first year of another course after completing first year???

I've heard of people doing this but I suppose there is no guarantee it would work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Does anyone know if it would be possible to do five subjects in the LC, and use the points of those? If you did five HL subjects that you were very good at, it would be possible to get really good points ... might be something worth considering! It would only be worth your while though if you could be reasonably confident of getting As in all those five subjects. It's definitely doable though.

And don't forget, you won't have to do maths english or irish again unless you want to, since you got the matriculation requirements first time round.

I think you can do psychology through arts in UCC. 360 points ish

I'm avoiding UCC at all costs. I dropped out for Comp Sci there for lots of reasons, one of which I didn't like UCC in general and I want to get out of Cork.

I'm avoiding UCC at all costs. I dropped out for Comp Sci there for lots of reasons, one of which I didn't like UCC in general and I want to get out of Cork.

you can do a 3 year honours degree in Dublin Business School in psychology. 215 points in 2009

• Advertisement

you can do a 3 year honours degree in Dublin Business School in psychology. 215 points in 2009

That's a Private college, Minimum €4600 for a year, then books, accom, supplies, food.

I can't afford that and I don't like the thought of Private College's they only exist to make money so I don't think they would get the best lecturers they can.

That's a Private college, Minimum €4600 for a year, then books, accom, supplies, food.

I can't afford that and I don't like the thought of Private College's they only exist to make money so I don't think they would get the best lecturers they can.

I thought everybody had to pay fees next year anyway :confused:

I thought everybody had to pay fees next year anyway :confused:

Really???? That sucks I haven't been keeping an eye on any of this crap!!!

(That means points will drop because alot of people won't be going to college.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Everyone who goes in to third level education has to pay €1500 for "registeration" fees (this could go up in the future). I'm not sure if the 1500 is included in private colleges or not.

Well, that changes things, I looked into the Dublin Business School course, it looks better than the ACD one. But it will take money, so I just have to work that out:D

Advertisement