Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mural on college street

• 03-10-2009 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

anyone see the new mural??:D i think its cool:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Well I hope they did'nt paint over the old one its been there for as long as I can remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

meldrew wrote: »
    Well I hope they did'nt paint over the old one its been there for as long as I can remember

http://www.waterfordyoutharts.com/mural09.htm
    Local visual artist Tom Casey is all set to create a third mural over his last two pieces which are situated at the junction of College St. and Manor St. Tom told us the background “Myself and John O’Regan were asked by the local An Taisce to do a mural there over twenty years ago and we created a landscape based on some photos I took in County Leitrim when visiting my friend Deccie O’Brien. I’m not sure if many people remember the mural. It was mostly browns and greens”. Tom then explained how the present mural came about “Then after two years myself and fellow artist Pat O’Brien covered it with the present mural which was commissioned by the local Civic Trust. It shows a number of local historic buildings with birdlife and also has a local man Paddy Flynn – affectionately known as the birdman – who could be seen feeding the birds everyday at the Clock Tower. This mural was intended to be seen for a couple of years but that was nearly 20 years ago”
    Which brings us to today and now Tom is going for his hat trick with a new mural on the same site. The mural was commissioned by Waterford Youth Arts who secured some money for a new mural from Local Agenda 21 Environmental Partnership Fund through Waterford City Council’s Environment Services Section. This project aims to counteract the prevalence of graffiti around town and Tom has involved local teenagers in the project. “The new mural will again feature some local historic buildings but with a new twist and I was asked to keep a reference to the birdman in the new work so that he won’t fade from memory – I hope the public will like it but if they don’t sure I can come back in a couple of years and do another one”. WYA would like to thank two local firms who have provided a bit of help, David Flynn Builders for the premises and local paint and wallpaper suppliers Colortrend on the Tramore Road for materials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

You'd think some of these so called artists would get a proper job theres notten wrong with the mural as it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

You'd think some of these so called artists would get a proper job theres notten wrong with the mural as it is

Walked past it everyday for four years, it was as rough as a badgers foreskin. Looking forward to seeing what the new one is like, about time someone tried to tidy up this town a bit ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭anon11

Agreed it was in an awful state!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Bit of an ignorant comment TBH. You obviously haven't seen the mural in a long time. A nice modern face-lift for it is a brilliant idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Isn't the mural just skateboarders tho?? Where's the historic buildings on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

and from the statues thread....
    Waterford is too much of a working class town for anything like this to be appreciated imo , no matter how much we talk about culture and such people like this will always be thought of as odd

how are those double standards working out for you there chief?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

longshanks wrote: »
    and from the statues thread....

Checkmate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Ouch.
    I read a while ago that some original historical aspects were being reincorporated into the new mural. Hope thats still the case :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I enjoyed seeing that mural since it was painted, but it is time for a facelift, the old one is getting very scruffy, I'll look forward to seeing the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

There's a new one up there now, i like it i must say, s it just temporary or is the other one being redone or what is the story, i like the new one that is up there at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

It's terrible.

The old one was excellent, and that old man feeding the birds...i met him more than I did my own grandad. Fair enough it was getting old...so why not do something similar...some waterford! Not some generic mess with a load of wannabe skatboarders. I really can't say enough about how much I hate it.

I love the new one, hated the old one:)

anon11 wrote: »
    I love the new one, hated the old one:)

Out of curiosity, how old are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's terrible.

The old one was excellent, and that old man feeding the birds...i met him more than I did my own grandad. Fair enough it was getting old...so why not do something similar...some waterford! Not some generic mess with a load of wannabe skatboarders. I really can't say enough about how much I hate it.

I thought the bird feeder was going to be in the new one too?

24 whys that?

anon11 wrote: »
    24 whys that?

Just in case you were 17 and spend your saturday mornings in the park ;)

Ha nope lol:) Just think its kinda cool:) my opinion is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Kahless wrote: »
    I thought the bird feeder was going to be in the new one too?

he is in the new one isn't he well i thought he was anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement