Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Government Could Not Have Continued In Office If There Had Been A "No" Vote

Options
  • 03-10-2009 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

This was the last chance we had before 2012, the government will throw the greens some crumbs and they will get the 70 billion or so away to their bondholder and shareholder mates through NAMA.

The country is finished.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

dresden8 wrote: »
    This was the last chance we had before 2012, the government will throw the greens some crumbs and they will get the 70 billion or so away to their bondholder and shareholder mates through NAMA.

The country is finished.

This wasnt a general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Fuhrer wrote: »
    This wasnt a general election.

Prize for the obvious goes to....

Prize for the obvious goes to....

Not to you apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

The country is finished.

dude i know you're bitter, but no one is stating that this was a win for the government. not even cowen...so i dunno why you are getting worked up over it. lisbon is an european issue...NAMA is a national issue, as is the budget etc...

Do you disagree that the Lisbon result saved the government?

• Advertisement

yes because there was nothing endangering the government, since they have a comfortable majority in the dail, being elected there for 5 years. now why were they elected there for 5 years? i would like to know that too, but they were. so unless the majority will be somehow weakened or broken the government doesnt need to be 'saved' since there is nothing out there to get them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Who do you think was going to lead a vote of no confidence? FG, Labour?? It's not like they didn't have a vested interest in a yes vote too. Give it up.

People who were going to vote for or against fianna fail in the general election will do so regardless of Lisbon

I have it on good authority from a Fianna Failer that a No vote meant FF could not have continued in office.

A senior-ish FFer.

I have it on authority from a Fianna Failer that a No vote meant FF could not have continued in office.

Oh, so the rules of government have changed magically or secretly then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I have it on authority from a Fianna Failer that a No vote meant FF could not have continued in office.

Was this Fianna Failer, Brian Cowen by any chance?

I have it on good authority from a Fianna Failer that a No vote meant FF could not have continued in office.

A senior-ish FFer.

O is this Willie O'Dea on TV earlier? :pac: yeah you mentioned that already, and no he didn't say that FF could not have continued in office.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Dresden8 has a point. The government doesn't give 2 hoots about the people. IF it did it would offer itself up in an election before NAMA. The fact remains that this was the ONLY time the public could have folded the government with an election until 2012.

Anyway continue on about the budget and NAMA.....
    I have lost a lot of my faith in the Irish people over the last few months on how meek we are and continuiously take it up the ass from people who "know better" about NAMA, Lisbon, Unions, Expenses etc.

I am submitting my final residency forms this week. I am not sure if I ever want to go back, that is how much the government and the public reaction has made me turn against my home country.:(

prinz wrote: »
    O is this Willie O'Dea on TV earlier? :pac: yeah you mentioned that already, and no he didn't say that FF could not have continued in office.

I didn't mention Willie O'Dea today. Is this a yes side lie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Did Lisbon 1 sink the Government?

jank wrote: »
    The fact remains that this was the ONLY time the public could have folded the government with an election until 2012...

No, it really wasn't. Goodbye ;)

jank wrote: »
    The fact remains that this was the ONLY time the public could have folded the government with an election until 2012.

How?

This wasnt a general election, no outcome of this referndum would have any effect on the government being folded or not.

Rb wrote: »
    Did Lisbon 1 sink the Government?

That was Cowen's first failure. This would have been the last of a long line of failures.

I didn't mention Willie O'Dea today. Is this a yes side lie?

Sincere apologies

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62382079&postcount=45

prinz wrote: »

Thanks, didn't see that.

That makes one Minister and one senior-ish person who disagree with you folks.

• Advertisement

Thanks, didn't see that.
    That makes one Minister and one senior-ish person who disagree with you folks.

Glad I could help ;) the only problem is that Paulie was being a bit liberal with the reality of what Willie O'Dea actually said.

That was Cowen's first failure. This would have been the last of a long line of failures.

how do you know? the man has had so many failures in that year and a half in power that you'd think he got used to them. maybe this time he'll think he can succeed and when he fails again will be so broken that he resigns...sounds too far fetched? well just trying to think along the lines of the OP

Mario007 wrote: »
    how do you know? the man has had so many failures in that year and a half in power that you'd think he got used to them. maybe this time he'll think he can succeed and when he fails again will be so broken that he resigns...sounds too far fetched? well just trying to think along the lines of the OP

Like I said, It's a senior-ish FFer who thinks the government could not have continued in office, I just happen to agree with him, and said so before the vote, and today's "revelation".

Like I said, It's a senior-ish FFer who thinks the government could not have continued in office, I just happen to agree with him, and said so before the vote, and today's "revelation".

I just talked to the same person and he said you're lying.

I just talked to the same person and he said you're lying.

Now that's a lie, and you know it.

You sir, are a fibber.

Now that's a lie, and you know it.

Prove me wrong.

Prove me wrong.

How can I do that?

Mr. Fibber.

and i was talking to a FG TD and FG MEP and Pat Cox and none of them mentioned even the possibilty of this government going down if there was a no vote.

the only one to mix it all together was Ganley and Higgins. they thought this was a vote on Lisbon, Europe, NATO, Privatisation, NAMA and the government.

Mario007 wrote: »
    and i was talking to a FG TD and FG MEP and Pat Cox and none of them mentioned even the possibilty of this government going down if there was a no vote.

the only one to mix it all together was Ganley and Higgins. they thought this was a vote on Lisbon, Europe, NATO, Privatisation, NAMA and the government.

Not the only one.

• Advertisement

How can I do that?

Mr. Fibber.

Yes well, you see the problem with you claiming an anonymouse source told you such information?

It just makes you look like a liar.

Advertisement