Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Government Could Not Have Continued In Office If There Had Been A "No" Vote

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

K-9 wrote: »
    Them days are over, our property and land fixation is long gone.

K-9, I really wish that were true. One has only got to look at the Co. Councils' Planning websites and An Bord Pleanala's website to see that the horrendous developers' planning applications for large housing estates and apartment blocks are still happening. It is shocking to see the amount of submissions for land rezoning in county development plans. It is hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Raven. wrote: »
    K-9, I really wish that were true. One has only got to look at the Co. Councils' Planning websites and An Bord Pleanala's website to see that the horrendous developers' planning applications for large housing estates and apartment blocks are still happening. It is shocking to see the amount of submissions for land rezoning in county development plans. It is hard to believe.

I believe you, but Jaysus, they must be thick! I'd say it is more a case that they have to apply.

Agricultural land is of more value these days.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

jank wrote: »
    Yea a typical Irish response. "Go on, go sure because those other countries are just so perfect! We don't need your type here as we real Irish patriots are fighting it out."....

Well Jank in fairness people who voted yes today were called traitors and such. And a number of no voters made a big song and dance that they were going to emigrate etc. Nobody said 'I voted yes, and now I'm going to leave the rest of ye here to clean up'. The people here are here and hopefully we'll all do our best to get the country back on it's feet. FF will be turfed out and I can actually see the party disintegrating into various factions etc. The provisional FF and the real FF etc. A typical Irish response is to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in.... not whine and moan and then leave when things get tough (not aimed at yourself).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

prinz wrote: »
    No. It really wasn't a general election. Could you identify these commentators?

Whoever the political commentators are for the sunday business post and the indo, I forget who the 3rd is. They said this on Matt Cooper a few weeks ago that if Lisbon was not passed that Cowen would have to resign and the government would have to call a GE and the public would not accept a 2nd appointed leader who did not win a GE as leader of the party.

They said that there would be no question that Cowen would have to step down. Look it up if you don't believe me.

I can actually see the party disintegrating into various factions etc..

I do believe we may have seen the first evidence of this tonight IMO. Hats off to dresden ;) I believed you all along ;)

*cue infighting in FF* Muahahahaha. Divide and conquer people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

I do believe we may have seen the first evidence of this tonight IMO. Hats off to dresden ;) I believed you all along ;)

*cue infighting in FF* Muahahahaha. Divide and conquer people!

Thanks.

Good to see there is still somebody arguing with me about what Conor Lenihan said. Some people will just not accept what their eyes see and their ears hear.

Impressive tenacity, that's all I can say. That's how FF always claw their way back. Blind, stupid, cultish loyalty.

I don't know whether to admire or fear them. Probably both.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

dresden8 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Good to see there is still somebody arguing with me about what Conor Lenihan said. Some people will just not accept what their eyes see and their ears hear.

Impressive tenacity, that's all I can say. That's how FF always claw their way back. Blind, stupid, cultish loyalty.

well they were created by dev, so they just learned from the master :D

Whoever the political commentators are for the sunday business post and the indo, I forget who the 3rd is. They said this on Matt Cooper a few weeks ago that if Lisbon was not passed that Cowen would have to resign and the government would have to call a GE and the public would not accept a 2nd appointed leader who did not win a GE as leader of the party.

They said that there would be no question that Cowen would have to step down. Look it up if you don't believe me.

And now people are looking for proof of that. It seems this is all about believing the opinions of a few and ignoring the political reality.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Well Jank in fairness people who voted yes today were called traitors and such.

Was I one of those people?
    Nobody said 'I voted yes, and now I'm going to leave the rest of ye here to clean up'. The people here are here and hopefully we'll all do our best to get the country back on it's feet.

Did I vote no? NO I didnt!
    FF will be turfed out and I can actually see the party disintegrating into various factions etc. The provisional FF and the real FF etc.

In your dreams! Labour and FG will fcuk it up as usual and the same fools will go back to FF. I would love for the above scenario to happen but it wont.
    A typical Irish response is to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in.... not whine and moan and then leave when things get tough (not aimed at yourself).

I am sorry but when did the people of Ireland ever roll up their sleeves and get stuck in more than they whined and moaned. When was the last time there was a mass demo outside the dail? There was a Nama demo where about 4 people showed up.

We Irish are good at moaning but at getting stuck in....in your dreams. Go have a listen on liveline sometime.

In a democracy you get the government you deserve and we deserve to have this government.

dresden8 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Ah, I think because it is FF, people don't believe what is front of them.

They do have impressive tenacity which is why your point makes no sense,

• Advertisement

Was I one of those people?

Did I vote no? NO I didnt!

In your dreams! Labour and FG will fcuk it up as usual and the same fools will go back to FF. I would love for the above scenario to happen but it wont.

I am sorry but when did the people of Ireland ever roll up their sleeves and get stuck in more than they whined and moaned. When was the last time there was a mass demo outside the dail? There was a Nama demo where about 4 people showed up.

We Irish are good at moaning but at getting stuck in....in your dreams. Go have a listen on liveline sometime.

In a democracy you get the government you deserve and we deserve to have this government.

So, what is the alternative?

I am sorry but when did the people of Ireland ever roll up their sleeves and get stuck in more than they whined and moaned.

Er yesterday when they voted yes to a treaty that in the long run is good for the EU rather than listening to cranks and a motely crew of nutcases.

Well I don't know about you, but I am on less pay and doing more hours for it since this time last year. Do I moan and whine and call Joe Duffy? Do I park my car on O'Connell Street? No, I get on with working, and doing what's best for the country. It has to be done, it will be done by me anyway. After World War II the Germans instituted many policies which we could do with here, to go from a ruined wasteland back to economic prosperity.

I couldn't agree more. The same people who voted them in, are the most vocal opponents now. I'm not a FF voter myself and I never have. They made a royal balls of things and nobody was complaining during the good times.

And now people are looking for proof of that. It seems this is all about believing the opinions of a few and ignoring the political reality.

Well Dresden already gave you proof of that.

So, what is the alternative?

I dont know, I am a foolish ex-pat that left the country as soon as the going got tough. Ye Irish patriots sort it out.:rolleyes:

I dont know, I am a foolish ex-pat that left the country as soon as the going got tough. Ye Irish patriots sort if out.:rolleyes:

Remember the way all the ex-pats came flooding back when the Celtic Tiger was on a high....:rolleyes:

Er yesterday when they voted yes to a treaty that in the long run is good for the EU rather than listening to cranks and a motely crew of nutcases.

Well if you call that rolling up your sleeves than the country is more ****ed than I thought.
    Well I don't know about you, but I am on less pay and doing more hours for it since this time last year. Do I moan and whine and call Joe Duffy? Do I park my car on O'Connell Street? No, I get on with working, and doing what's best for the country. It has to be done, it will be done by me anyway. After World War II the Germans instituted many policies which we could do with here, to go from a ruined wasteland back to economic prosperity.

So just plod along, work away and that is that.

We should take an example from the french. Every working man be it in the public or private sector should march on the streets and ask for a GE!

I couldn't agree more. The same people who voted them in, are the most vocal opponents now. I'm not a FF voter myself and I never have. They made a royal balls of things and nobody was complaining during the good times.

And the same people will then complain that their entitlements are down and vote in FF to bring back the good times.

I think all these are the wrong questions to be asking, the question we should be asking is that are we a failed state?

Remember the way all the ex-pats came flooding back when the Celtic Tiger was on a high....:rolleyes:

Your point if you have one?
    What is wrong with that. Getting skilled, working people with Irish blood in them to come back in their home country and find a new life for themselves. God forbid that this would be a good idea!

Well if you call that rolling up your sleeves than the country is more ****ed than I thought.

I suppose I should be out picking potatoes should I? :rolleyes: Everyone needs to do what's in the best interest of the country. Unfortunately there is a serious mé féin attitude that needs to be stamped out in Ireland. Personally I'm doing what I think is best, working over time for free so the company I work for doesn't have to fire anyone, took a pay cut etc. I could always jack in the job and go somewhere sunny like the thousands of others are doing :rolleyes:
    So just plod along, work away and that is that. We should take an example from the french. Every working man be it in the public or private sector should march on the streets and ask for a GE!

An election won't solve a thing. Whoever comes to power will have the very same scenario to deal with. The same choices to make etc. You could argue that calling an election now, getting FG/Labour into power will result in them bearing the brunt of it all the hard choices, and FF coming back to power when the economy is on the up, splashing the cash, which is exactly what they did last time they got to power!

Your point if you have one?
    What is wrong with that. Getting skilled, working people with Irish blood in them to come back in their home country and find a new life for themselves. God forbid that this would be a good idea!

The point is you should stop taking the mick out of the people who are actually committed to getting this country back to growth.

The point is you should stop taking the mick out of the people who are actually committed to getting this country back to growth.

Where did I take the mick? I was not the first person to use "Irish Patriots" and that people go abroad are "taking the easy option".

• Advertisement

Well Dresden already gave you proof of that.

He hasn't.
    I dont know, I am a foolish ex-pat that left the country as soon as the going got tough. Ye Irish patriots sort it out.:rolleyes:

How helpful. Just the usual No side NOISE.

We know what the solution is, emigrate. then there will be nobody left.

Where did I take the mick? I was not the first person to use "Irish Patriots" and that people go abroad are "taking the easy option".

It doesn't matter if you were the first or not. You reiterate the same nonsense.

I suppose I should be out picking potatoes should I? :rolleyes: Everyone needs to do what's in the best interest of the country. Unfortunately there is a serious mé féin attitude that needs to be stamped out in Ireland. Personally I'm doing what I think is best, working over time for free so the company I work for doesn't have to fire anyone, took a pay cut etc. I could always jack in the job and go somewhere sunny like the thousands of others are doing :rolleyes:

And I wouldnt look down on you if you did, I would like to be offered to same courtesy.

An election won't solve a thing. Whoever comes to power will have the very same scenario to deal with. The same choices to make etc. You could argue that calling an election now, getting FG/Labour into power will result in them bearing the brunt of it all the hard choices, and FF coming back to power when the economy is on the up, splashing the cash, which is exactly what they did last time they got to power!

Well you answered your own question there. So the question remains, why bother staying? Are we a failed state where election doesn't matter any more?

We know what the solution is, emigrate.

Maybe if we all do, by the time we get back from the sun, the clowns and the fairies will have put the economy back on track..

And I wouldnt look down on you if you did, I would like to be offered to same courtesy.

I don't look down on anyone for leaving. I do look down on people for leaving with a stupidly ignorant parting shot for those left behind. Not that anyone who actually said they were packing up to leave earlier on was actually going to - more of that whining and moaning you see. All talk.
    Well you answered your own question there. So the question remains, why bother staying? Are we a failed state where election doesn't matter any more?

Election doesn't matter right now. The problems we are having are largely beyond the control of the Irish government. It's irrelevant who's in charge until the global economy is picking up. It's all well and good saying we should boot FF out now, but sure it doesn't matter who replaces them. Plus the longer FF struggle with things now, the less people will be likely to vote for them for a long, long time. If they even survive, and I have doubts about that.

He hasn't.

Oh but he has. Tell you what search back on some podcasts from the matt cooper show and you will find your proof there as well.
    How helpful. Just the usual No side NOISE.

Me, NO side? How did you decide that, or is it that since I disagree with you than I must be a no sider along with those crazy ****ers from Coir whom I hate.
    Very Orwellian & Neo Con of you I must say.

"If you are not with me you are against me"

We know what the solution is, emigrate. then there will be nobody left.

Last person left turn off the lights!

What is your solution by the way.

It doesn't matter if you were the first or not. You reiterate the same nonsense.

Oh but it does. You and others like k-9 and kippy are more than happy to stereotype me so I am happy to play the stereotype occordingly back.

I didnt stereotype you or any body else so please treat me with the same respect as I have shown you.

• Advertisement

I dont know, I am a foolish ex-pat that left the country as soon as the going got tough (1). Ye Irish patriots sort it out(2).:rolleyes:
    I didnt stereotype you or any body else.

(1)You stereo typed yourself....and then you (2) stereotyped others, all in one go. Impressive.

Advertisement