Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Government Could Not Have Continued In Office If There Had Been A "No" Vote

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

jank wrote: »
    Last person left turn off the lights!

What is your solution by the way.

I asked you first and you've no answer.

Good night to the Hurler on the Ditch, though you aren't even on the ditch!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

prinz wrote: »
    I don't look down on anyone for leaving. I do look down on people for leaving with a stupidly ignorant parting shot for those left behind. Not that anyone who actually said they were packing up to leave earlier on was actually going to - more of that whining and moaning you see. All talk.

Well first of all I was not one of these people calling for people to leave. Can we agree on that at least.
    So I fail to see what that has to do with me. More of this stereotype I was on about.

Election doesn't matter right now. The problems we are having are largely beyond the control of the Irish government. It's irrelevant who's in charge until the global economy is picking up. It's all well and good saying we should boot FF out now, but sure it doesn't matter who replaces them. Plus the longer FF struggle with things now, the less people will be likely to vote for them for a long, long time. If they even survive, and I have doubts about that.

So why bother as I said before? The people are powerless by your own comments. So why take paycuts, less services and all the other bull $hit? So we can claim some kind of badge of honour?

K-9 wrote: »
    I asked you first and you've no answer.

Good night to the Hurler on the Ditch, though you aren't even on the ditch!

So we are resorting to that childish name calling.

"Its my ball!!!"

(1)You stereo typed yourself....and then you (2) stereotyped others, all in one go. Impressive.

LOL you are new to this. Go back and see who was the first person on this thread to use those words.
    You and Kippy! I responded in kind with satire and irony.

So we are resorting to that childish name calling.

"Its my ball!!!"

No, answer the question you ask of others.

Your silence speaks volumes.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

dresden8 wrote: »
    I have it on good authority from a Fianna Failer that a No vote meant FF could not have continued in office.

A senior-ish FFer.

Stated as fact.
    dresden8 wrote: »
    Like I said, It's a senior-ish FFer who thinks the government could not have continued in office, I just happen to agree with him, and said so before the vote, and today's "revelation".

Stated as weak fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Remember the way all the ex-pats came flooding back when the Celtic Tiger was on a high....:rolleyes:

So? I wish more of them came back, instead of people who have no love of Ireland and view her as an ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

PaulieD wrote: »
    So? I wish more of them came back, instead of people who have no love of Ireland and view her as an ATM.

Guess you are unaware on how an economy works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Stated as fact.

Stated as weak fact.

Yes, my quotes are correct. A FF Junior Minister said all those things.

If you disbelieve the thesis have a go at Conor Lenihan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Dresden8 has a point. The government doesn't give 2 hoots about the people. IF it did it would offer itself up in an election before NAMA. The fact remains that this was the ONLY time the public could have folded the government with an election until 2012.

Anyway continue on about the budget and NAMA.....
    I have lost a lot of my faith in the Irish people over the last few months on how meek we are and continuiously take it up the ass from people who "know better" about NAMA, Lisbon, Unions, Expenses etc.

I am submitting my final residency forms this week. I am not sure if I ever want to go back, that is how much the government and the public reaction has made me turn against my home country.:(
    Janks first post on the subject.
    Losing faith in an Irish people over a couple of months(only the last couple of months mind, not over the past few years, you didnt see it coming either evidently).......people taking it up the ass........turning against his home country......blaming the irish people for seperating two seperate issues.....lisbon and the government...........

I dont know you and you dont know me, and I wish you well in NZ, but its obvious from that post that you are "looking down on" and "insulting" every man woman and child still left in this country, for their lack of intelligence. That is going to get a response from people, whether you agree with it or not.
    I frankly dont give a toss if someone decides to leave ireland for another country, that is their decision, but to call those left fools is looking for a response.....

• Advertisement

No, answer the question you ask of others.

Your silence speaks volumes.

My silence? Christ is this a show trial? You sir would make a good judge and jury.

kippy wrote: »
    Janks first post on the subject.
    Losing faith in an Irish people over a couple of months(only the last couple of months mind, not over the past few years, you didnt see it coming either evidently).......people taking it up the ass........turning against his home country......blaming the irish people for seperating two seperate issues.....lisbon and the government...........

Oh I saw it coming hence me making plans to, you know leave! I am just bitterly disappointed with the results. Same ol crap from keyboard warriors but no action.

I dont know you and you dont know me, and I wish you well in NZ, but its obvious from that post that you are "looking down on" and "insulting" every man woman and child still left in this country, for their lack of intelligence. That is going to get a response from people, whether you agree with it or not.
    I frankly dont give a toss if someone decides to leave ireland for another country, that is their decision, but to call those left fools is looking for a response.....

You say you don't know me but yet I am looking down on every man women and child which by the way includes my family, friends and everyone else I know. Yea, you definitely DO NOT know me.

Oh and where did I call someone a fool in that exact word? Or are you just making up lies!

Oh I saw it coming hence me making plans to, you know leave! I am just bitterly disappointed with the results. Same ol crap from keyboard warriors but no action.

You say you don't know me but yet I am looking down on every man women and child which by the way includes my family, friends and everyone else I know. Yea, you definitely DO NOT know me.

Oh and where did I call someone a fool in that exact word? Or are you just making up lies!
    In one post you said to me that I didnt know you and hence didnt know the reasons you had left the country. Its fairly obvious why you left the country unless you'd like to outline otherwise.
    You said people were "taking it up the ass" amoung other things. What do you mean if you do not mean that they are fools.
    What action did you take youself, you appear no better than a keyboard warrior yourself, except you got outta dodge, fair enough if you thought it was best for you (you mightnt have had a choice in fairness), but its not in the best interests of everyone to leave.

My silence? Christ is this a show trial? You sir would make a good judge and jury.

Some people dont realise that people aren't online 24/7 and hence thats usually where silence comes from.
    This point appears to have escaped K-9 and its not fair to judge you based on "silence"

In one post you said to me that I didnt know you and hence didnt know the reasons you had left the country. Its fairly obvious why you left the country unless you'd like to outline otherwise.

I left the country to see what the world has to offer. Looking back best thing I ever did.
    You said people were "taking it up the ass" amoung other things. What do you mean if you do not mean that they are fools.

In one way you are right but it isn't me who is calling ye fools, it is those at the top. Do you think in any other western European government they would have gotten away with the crap that has gone on over the last few years.
    So yes I still stand by my comments that the Irish people continue to take it up the ass from the present government. Do you disagree? Would you like to see this government continue or fall? People are losing their jobs every day but the government are too worried about their expenses and their own pay than the running of the state.

I was in two minds about the IMF coming in and taking control. I wouldn't mind if our German friends might do it instead. Maybe MOL had a point, we have failed to rule ourselves so might as well pass the buck to europe, surely they cant be much worse!

But to set the record straight I did not use the word fools.
    What action did you take youself, you appear no better than a keyboard warrior yourself, except you got outta dodge, fair enough if you thought it was best for you (you mightnt have had a choice in fairness), but its not in the best interests of everyone to leave.

At the end of the day you have to look after No.1. You and your family, anything else belongs to the movies. Sad state of affairs but it true but at least I am realistic enough to admit it. I am more than happy to pay taxes and contribute to a society but not to a society like we have in Ireland at present where it is ruled by fools and where the country is going down the tubes. The country is destroyed! Utterly ****ed for at least the next 10 years. Why be in the middle of a $hitstorm when there are options elsewhere?

At least I am not paying my future taxes to contribute to JOD's next trip to the races and his fancy hats!

Some people dont realise that people aren't online 24/7 and hence thats usually where silence comes from.
    This point appears to have escaped K-9 and its not fair to judge you based on "silence"

No, he was asked a good few posts ago, what's the alternative to the current system? Seems to be just up and leave.

I left the country to see what the world has to offer. Looking back best thing I ever did.

In one way you are right but it isn't me who is calling ye fools, it is those at the top. Do you think in any other western European government they would have gotten away with the crap that has gone on over the last few years.
    So yes I still stand by my comments that the Irish people continue to take it up the ass from the present government. Do you disagree? Would you like to see this government continue or fall? People are losing their jobs every day but the government are too worried about their expenses and their own pay than the running of the state.

I was in two minds about the IMF coming in and taking control. I wouldn't mind if our German friends might do it instead. Maybe MOL had a point, we have failed to rule ourselves so might as well pass the buck to europe, surely they cant be much worse!

But to set the record straight I did not use the word fools.

At the end of the day you have to look after No.1. You and your family, anything else belongs to the movies. Sad state of affairs but it true but at least I am realistic enough to admit it. I am more than happy to pay taxes and contribute to a society but not to a society like we have in Ireland at present where it is ruled by fools and where the country is going down the tubes. The country is destroyed! Utterly ****ed for at least the next 10 years. Why be in the middle of a $hitstorm when there are options elsewhere?

At least I am not paying my future taxes to contribute to JOD's next trip to the races and his fancy hats!

No, you didnt call 3+ million of us fools. It was worse what you called us.

When exactly did you realise the country was ruled by fools and that it was going down the tube.

I agree, theres no need to be in the middle of a "****storm" if there are options elsewhere.
    But leaving the country doesnt suit everyone and to look down on those left as taking it up the ass smacks of ignorance or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

When exactly did you realise the country was ruled by fools and that it was going down the tube.

Doesnt say much for him if he was unable to do anything about a ruling class that were fools. Surely his intellectual superiority would be able to best them.

No, he was asked a good few posts ago, what's the alternative to the current system? Seems to be just up and leave.

Didnt realise that.
    Ah, some people just chose to ignore parts of posts, I have to say I have a tendency to do it myself.

Revolution? Would that make you happy?
    What my good sir is your magic formula?

Plead for europe to take over the running of the country. I would sign up to that.

• Advertisement

No, you didnt call 3+ million of us fools. It was worse what you called us..

And what was that?

Early 2000's. Property prices going awol.

I told a flat mate of mine that for a number of years we were building the same amount of properties for a while as the UK who have more than 10 times the population. He sat there stary eyed thinking I was taking the pi$$ for a while. I wish I was taking the pi$$ but our troubles have all steemed from magic property merry go round.
    I agree, theres no need to be in the middle of a "****storm" if there are options elsewhere.
    But leaving the country doesnt suit everyone and to look down on those left as taking it up the ass smacks of ignorance or worse.

Where did I look down on those left? The only thing I said is that people should get off their ass's and bring down this government. I am sure many here would agree.

The only thing I said is that people should get off their ass's and bring down this government. I am sure many here would agree.

This will happen. I just don't see sticking up the fingers up at the EU in the process is the way to go about it.

This will happen. I just don't see sticking up the fingers up at the EU in the process is the way to go about it.

I wish I was as confident as you and where did I stick my fingers up at the EU? We are not talking about Lisbon here at all, that is over. period!

Have a read of this. Sums up how I feel.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/1003/1224255780439.html

I wish I was as confident as you and where did I stick my fingers up at the EU? We are not talking about Lisbon here at all, that is over. period!

I meant a No to Lisbon means more than No to FF.

The only reason FF got in last time was the economy.

And what was that?

Early 2000's. Property prices going awol.

I told a flat mate of mine that for a number of years we were building the same amount of properties for a while as the UK who have more than 10 times the population. He sat there stary eyed thinking I was taking the pi$$ for a while. I wish I was taking the pi$$ but our troubles have all steemed from magic property merry go round.

Where did I look down on those left? The only thing I said is that people should get off their ass's and bring down this government. I am sure many here would agree.
    So, "people" should get off their asss' and bring down the government. Sound.

Early 2000, you had a lucky flatemate to be so enlightened.
    You called us people who took things up the ass.....
    You eluded to the fact that you left and was glad you did, the rest of us are taking it up the ass to stay here.
    Your tax euros in every country you live in pay for various things you really dont want to be paying for.
    Yeah, the country has problems, lots of them, yeah, there are better places to live and yeah, this government will be down and out in a few months. What replaces them though?
    With our finest talents heading off to places like NZ, people who spotted this comins a mile away, and who like to see people get off their asses and do things, who is left to rule the country?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Good article actually, pretty close to my views on all things political at the moment, I could have wrote the paragraph about Eamon Gilmores detached from reality comment myself, it actually leaves me inclined to not send any vote Labours way next time around. So my options are already down to FG I by the looks of it. Anyway possibly a bit off topic.

I still voted Yes to Lisbon ;)

marco_polo wrote: »
    Good article actually, pretty close to my views on all things political at the moment, I could have wrote the paragraph about Eamon Gilmores detached from reality comment myself, it actually leaves me inclined to not send any vote Labours way next time around. So my options are already down to FG I by the looks of it. Anyway possibly a bit off topic.

I still voted Yes to Lisbon ;)

What we need is a Ray Mc "the Knife" Sharry.

We can moan all we want, but cuts have to be made.

Would be nice to have some political leadership though. Cowen isn't it, he is a good campaigner, not a leader.

I meant a No to Lisbon means more than No to FF.

The only reason FF got in last time was the economy.

Well there we agree to disagree. FF are far more dangerous to the nation than upsetting some german bankers. But what is done is done, FF wont give up power easily.

So, "people" should get off their asss' and bring down the government. Sound.

How else should the government is to be brought down?
    Early 2000, you had a lucky flatemate to be so enlightened.

No I told me this a few weeks ago.
    You called us people who took things up the ass.....

Are you not disputing this? I am sorry if my frankness offends.
    You eluded to the fact that you left and was glad you did, the rest of us are taking it up the ass to stay here.
    Your tax euros in every country you live in pay for various things you really dont want to be paying for.
    Yeah, the country has problems, lots of them, yeah, there are better places to live and yeah, this government will be down and out in a few months. What replaces them though?
    With our finest talents heading off to places like NZ, people who spotted this comins a mile away, and who like to see people get off their asses and do things, who is left to rule the country?

Eh is this directed at me or is this just an incoherent rant in general.

• Advertisement

FF wont give up power easily.

Exactly why a No would not mean FF out of power!

We are going round in circles here.

You admit FF will cling on no matter what, yet seem to think a No would end them.

It makes no sense.

Advertisement