Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between a religion and a cult?

Options
  • 04-10-2009 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

I'm having some difficulty in finding the difference between a religion and a cult.

It seems that most, if not all religions started out as cults, but the term cult nowadays is a very negative one.

I am not keen on religions, having been a fervent devotee of two in my life, I now have an idea that they are just based on followers who worship and obeys a leader or hierarchy of leaders, leaders who claim to have divine authority in their access to truth.

So, I am wondering if anyone else wonders about the distinction between a religion and a cult?
    (Please no 'my religion is not a cult because it is the true way proselytizing').

What do you think is the difference between a religion and a cult?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would say:
    A religion is formalised, public and well known and will usually have some official legal standing and recognised by the state.

A cult may be religious but it is secretativeand not open to the public and does not have official legal standing and is not recognised by the state.

official legal standing and recognised by the state.
    e·li·gion (r-ljn)
    n.
    a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
    b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
    2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
    3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
    4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.
    Idiom:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cult
    cult (klt)
    n.
    a. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
    b. The followers of such a religion or sect.
    2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
    3. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
    4. A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.
    a. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
    b. The object of such devotion.
    6. An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.

There are a lot more meanings to the word Cult then most people realise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Although I realise you are quoting from an online dictionary, Thaedydal, it seems you are saying that a religion is official, publicly endorsed, and therefore respectable and acceptable in the eyes of the state?

Whereas a cult can be summed up as a nefarious activity, because it is not legally recognised or offically endorsed?

Darlughda wrote: »
    Although I realise you are quoting from an online dictionary, Thaedydal, it seems you are saying that a religion is official, publicly endorsed, and therefore respectable and acceptable in the eyes of the state?

I know funny isn't considering how 'respectable' the catholic church is considered atm.
    Whereas a cult can be summed up as a nefarious activity, because it is not legally recognised or offically endorsed?

To my mind it doesn't sum up to nefarious at all but closed and secret which a lot of spiritual cults are due the idea that until you have experienced certain things you can't talk about them from a point of understanding.

So they have select membership are not open to the public, often their rites are not open to none members and I respect that, but I know a lot of people don't understand that and think such things are bad as they think that all spiritual systems should be like christianity come one come all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

There is no patent, measurable difference other than one of semantics.

All make unprovable claims to have 'divine' authority for their views, using various devices to try to instill this idea in the minds of their potental adherents. Physical 'death' is the big no-no and it is implied in non-specific ways that if you follow their formula you will be somehow 'saved' from the worst effects of this natural, unavoidable change. All baloney, of course.

Doctrines, rituals and dogmas trickle down from this basic concept, subtly promoted as wee helpers in the individuals comfort blanket, all of which being fear based. Their original god of 'love' has conveniently vanished by thiis time.

Whether a cult has sufficient followers to encourage it to claim to be a super cult ie, a religion, depends as much on politics, finance and other silent influences as it does on theology.

Should these cults succeed in helping their dependent followers become more spiritual people and realising that all must reap as was sown - regardless of any beliefs - and that we are all children of a loving god, again regardless of beliefs - then some good will have come from their narrow machinations. It must be said though, that all of them avoid taking this desirable and obvious route.

It does seem that the hidden purpose of theologians is to say one thing, but practice a sinister other, namely separating us from our brothers, sowing suspicion and distrust of others - especially those who might view life differently - and to practice 'divide & rule' over humanity.

I think that I would have to agree, Hiorta, that the difference between a religion and a cult boils down to semantics.

Nonetheless, it is fascinating that the broad definitions of those two words cult and religion often has different meanings for people.

I can understand a spiritual organisition that meets in a group to practise their religion has often had to have been clandestine, in the past,and these same meetings have been inherent in political and activist events of the day, but are all cults secret today?

I reckon the Vatican and the whole post-reformation history of Irish Catholicism can be described as a the history of a very successful and clever cult.

• Advertisement

Some still to meet privately as only 'members' are allowed.

Some still to meet privately as only 'members' are allowed.

Indeed. Fascinately,secret and select for the chosen few.... intriguing and skulduggery.

But, really, are we mad to be thinking there really is any difference between a religion and a cult?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I would tend to use the words 'religion' and 'cult' differently.

'Religion' ( for me) is primarly about personal belief and can be private to some extent and only secondarly public. Many religious people were hermits and individualist and have no followers and hence there would be a difficulty with the word 'cult' in their case.

I think the word 'cult' reverses this. To be part of a 'cult' is primarly to be part of a social group, or to follow a particular leader or group.

In this respect, calling a religion a 'cult' is to say that the believers are really only following the crowd (herding) rather than using their own individual feelings and beliefs.(which often is the case anyway with religion and many other issues e.g. economic issues, spending etc..) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_behavior

Anyhow, I may be wrong about this but this is how I would view the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 RAMADAN

I'm having some difficulty in finding the difference between a religion and a cult....
    So, I am wondering if anyone else wonders about the distinction between a religion and a cult?

(Please no 'my religion is not a cult because it is the true way proselytizing').

Cynically, religions are big, powerful and often respectable cults while cults are small, untested, powerless and novel religions. CHristianity was a cult when it began while Judaism was a religion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

Religions are good and religious cults such as psychology and psychiatry are bad .

• Advertisement

Religions are good and religious cults such as psychology and psychiatry are bad .

I'm not sure if a religion can be described as 'good' just because that is the perceived opinion.
    However, I do find it interesting that you consider psychology and psychiatry as 'bad'. Can you elaborate why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Cults are generally recognised by the degree of control and manipulation they take over a persons life, as well as by their doctrine/teachings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Wuggectumondo

homer911 wrote: »
    Cults are generally recognised by the degree of control and manipulation they take over a persons life, as well as by their doctrine/teachings

I agree. People fear that if they leave the cult, they will go to hell / evil spirits will get them etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Blackie93

A cult is any religious movement that is damaging to a persons physical, mental, emotional or spiritual health.

The definition according to my fifth year religion teacher ;)

Advertisement