Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rates for Grinds

Options
  • 04-10-2009 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

I don't give many grinds anymore but was recently offered FIFTY an hour as the student needs an A1 and that's what all my students got last year. I can't take them on as I'm expecting and have no time. However, was wondering...is that normal? Seems an awful lot of money. I declare what I make and the mother in question said that as she knows I do that she'd pay what she'd expect to get.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I think 40-50 euros is pretty much the going rate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

I pay 35 for an hour and 15 mins for english higher grind

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

I charge 25 an hour for irish and biology grinds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

That figure is spot on, and in many cases that "hour" is flexible.
    If you're asked for any more than this, go elsewhere.

Not all teachers charge, there is still a strong social conscience out there.
    Some give extra tuition, either at lunchtime, or immediately after school.
    Others have dropped their rates in response to the national crisis.
    One highly regarded singing teacher I know, with many years experience, dropped her rates to €20 per hour.
    Many of her pupils simply couldn't afford the €30 per hour she charged last year.
    We need more of this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pbarry

AllHonours.ie have an average hourly rate of €23/hour based on 193 grinds submitted over the last 3 weeks. Average hourly rate in grind schools would be in line with the AllHonours average, although unfortunately you do not receive the same student-teacher ratio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

Well, €23 isn't bad at all. I'm planning on picking up a Maths grind, myself.

I think some people do charge a ridiculous amount for grinds...there is a physics teacher in the school where i work that charges 50€ an hour and doesn even supply the material....
    I think 30€ should be the most charged as its students and if they want the a1 they will put in the extra effort with the subject especailly if they are shelling it out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭lauralee28

I don't give many grinds anymore but was recently offered FIFTY an hour as the student needs an A1 and that's what all my students got last year. I can't take them on as I'm expecting and have no time. However, was wondering...is that normal? Seems an awful lot of money. I declare what I make and the mother in question said that as she knows I do that she'd pay what she'd expect to get.

All of your students got A1's? Are you serious? Thats nearly unheard of nowadays for a full class to all get A1's. Well done. I charge €30(each) per hour for groups of 4 in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

lauralee28 wrote: »
    I charge €30(each) per hour for groups of 4 in Irish.

That's €120 per hour you make. Course you'd have to charge that much with all the tax you'd pay on it :)

• Advertisement

pathway33 wrote: »
    That's €120 per hour you make. Course you'd have to charge that much with all the tax you'd pay on it :)

Of course Pathway :). Thats why i do several groups a week:)

Of course Pathway :). Thats why i do several groups a week:)

Must give you very little leisure time considering all the homework you have to correct from your day job. I hope you don't work yourself into an early grave :)

For the last 2 years all mine have done well..one got a b1 this year which was kinda a bummer to me but he did f all input during the year...Other students got A1,2...All are now studying Irish as an arts subject in uni...

Must give you very little leisure time considering all the homework you have to correct from your day job. I hope you don't work yourself into an early grave :)

Lots of leisure time Pathway. Super organised I am, with excellent time management skills. :)

lasair wrote: »
    For the last 2 years all mine have done well..one got a b1 this year which was kinda a bummer to me but he did f all input during the year...Other students got A1,2...All are now studying Irish as an arts subject in uni...

how do you rate the chances of the lazy guy passing his exams in college?

Personally I think he will do ok..... He asked me last week would I give him an odd grind or two in the subject.....I hope he will to be honest.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭elmoslattery

it depends on ur qualifications. If you have teaching qualifications then 50/hr sounds bout right but if all you have is a good grade in the LC then mabye 25-35/hr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

it depends on ur qualifications. If you have teaching qualifications then 50/hr sounds bout right but if all you have is a good grade in the LC then mabye 25-35/hr

NO, €50/hour is NOT "bout right". The going rate is €20 - €35 and MANY teachers give over the hour for the higher figure. STOP trying to talk up the rate! People are under enough pressure as it is without this blatant opportunism.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Hillel wrote: »
    NO, €50/hour is NOT "bout right". The going rate is €20 - €35 and MANY teachers give over the hour for the higher figure. STOP trying to talk up the rate! People are under enough pressure as it is without this blatant opportunism.

Thanks.

While I do agree that €50 is on the expensive side (I myself charge €30 per student per hour), if someone is "under pressure", they are obviously not going to chose a grind that costs €50. No one is putting a gun to anyones head to take a grind!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

I thought you had to have teaching qualifications to give grinds? I'd gladly give a bit of help in subjects I got A's in for cheap rates :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Technically anyone can offer grinds. I'd prefer someone with knowledge of teaching, marking and examining but that's just me. I'd never ever charge fifty might I add. I charged 35 when I did grinds and after I allowed for tax (trust me, not worth trying to fiddle the system) was on 20. I sometimes took two and charged thirty but never ever kicked anyone out, was usually an hour and twenty minutes or so. Regarding whoever picked up on my comments on As, all my grinds students last year got As, but not in my class, would be a rather unique mixed ability group if they did!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I thought you had to have teaching qualifications to give grinds?
    Well it's not like it's regulated by anyone

after I allowed for tax (trust me, not worth trying to fiddle the system) was on 20.

Do you have to register a business name or are the revenue just happy if you hand over the tax?

Do you have to register a business name or are the revenue just happy if you hand over the tax?

Yes Pathway, you can actually go to the revenue office and hand over the cash for tax purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

alot depends on whether or not it's individual or to a group. For individual, anything up to 50 is normal enough I think. For group sessions (5 or more), 20 is about standard with 30 being on the upper end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

if i did grinds there is no way id pay tax on it!...they could never finf out like!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'm hoping that there are geographical differences or something but I could never charge €50 for one grind! Is that in Dublin?

I'm teaching nearly ten years, well experienced in my subject and an experienced examiner and charge €25. But, I'm in a rural area and don't know anyone else giving grinds so maybe I'm out of the loop!

Yes Pathway, you can actually go to the revenue office and hand over the cash for tax purposes.

it was a genuine question :). I'm familiar with the october 31st deadline for payment of non-paye tax and the form 11 which has to be completed.

I'm just wondering if the teacher paying tax on grinds has a business name :)

Actually 2 weeks ago the revenue said that they are cracking down on people who give grinds. They are going to be going through the adds and tracking people for under declaration of tax/non payment. They are cracking down on teachers also. I think it was in last mondays indo...

• Advertisement

it was a genuine question :). I'm familiar with the october 31st deadline for payment of non-paye tax and the form 11 which has to be completed.

I'm just wondering if the teacher paying tax on grinds has a business name :)

I'm quaking! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement