Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rates for Grinds

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭lauralee28

lasair wrote: »
    Actually 2 weeks ago the revenue said that they are cracking down on people who give grinds. They are going to be going through the adds and tracking people for under declaration of tax/non payment. They are cracking down on teachers also. I think it was in last mondays indo...

They can crack down all they like. Its going to be impossible to narrow in on people! What about those who dont advertise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

even if they do advertise they still cant prove people have being taking them up on the actual grinds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

lauralee28 wrote: »
    I'm quaking! :D

:p I didn't mean I was going to rat anyone out. Just would like to know the procedure for giving grinds and paying tax as it's something I may do in the future

pathway33 wrote: »
    :p I didn't mean I was going to rat anyone out. Just would like to know the procedure for giving grinds and paying tax as it's something I may do in the future

Well i'm not going to lie to you. I haven't paid any tax on my
    grinds. I dont think you'll find too many teachers who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

deemark wrote: »
    I'm hoping that there are geographical differences or something but I could never charge €50 for one grind! Is that in Dublin?

I'm teaching nearly ten years, well experienced in my subject and an experienced examiner and charge €25. But, I'm in a rural area and don't know anyone else giving grinds so maybe I'm out of the loop!
    I'm in a rural area too, and most round here would charge €50, but then a lot of the teachers giving grinds would be from the town, which is a good bit away. So I assume the 50 would be to cover their travel expenses as well as the actual grind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pbarry

Do you have to register a business name or are the revenue just happy if you hand over the tax?

You don't require a business name, just need to include the income in your tax return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

pbarry wrote: »
    You don't require a business name, just need to include the income in your tax return.

Cool. Thanks. That's the form 11/11E due in by October 31st ?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pbarry

Cool. Thanks. That's the form 11/11E due in by October 31st ?

Yeah pretty sure that's the one!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

If I was a teacher I wouldn't charge anything. If I was doing grinds only then I'd say about 20-30 per session but if ur a teacher and giving grinds to your students you should be ashamed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No teacher I know gives grinds to their own students. Extra classes yes, but not paid grinds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

zoom! wrote: »
    If I was a teacher I wouldn't charge anything. If I was doing grinds only then I'd say about 20-30 per session but if ur a teacher and giving grinds to your students you should be ashamed.

I dont think you'll find many teachers giving grinds to their own students! Seriously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

Lawliet wrote: »
    I'm in a rural area too, and most round here would charge €50, but then a lot of the teachers giving grinds would be from the town, which is a good bit away. So I assume the 50 would be to cover their travel expenses as well as the actual grind.

Yeah, right!

Hint for students and parents: If you're asked for more than €25 per hour, just let out a loud guffaw, and look elsewhere.
    (Don't worry, there's plenty out there who'll give grinds at that rate. Just ask around! :))

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    I dont think you'll find many teachers giving grinds to their own students! Seriously!

I simply don't understand why this keeps arising.

The "Codes of Professional Conduct for Teachers" is clear: Teachers "should avoid direct conflict between their private interests and their professional work."
    There is an obvious conflict where a teacher gives grinds to one of his/her own students. There is not a Board of Management in the country who would stand over it. End of!

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Hillel wrote: »

The "Codes of Professional Conduct for Teachers" is clear: Teachers "should avoid direct conflict between their private interests and their professional work."
    There is an obvious conflict where a teacher gives grinds to one of his/her own students. There is not a Board of Management in the country who would stand over it. End of!

Exactly my point if you read it. You wont find many teachers who do give grinds to there own students. I strongly disagree with it. However, Hillel, I've been on a Board of Managment as a staff representitive and although the issue never arose, I can tell you now that it is not a sackable offence!

Exactly my point if you read it. You wont find many teachers who do give grinds to there own students.
    I did read and understand it. :)
    My point is that giving grinds to ones own students is a clear breach of ethics and I'm surprised that it is even a matter for discussion.
    However, Hillel, I've been on a Board of Managment as a staff representitive and although the issue never arose, I can tell you now that it is not a sackable offence!

Any instance of such behaviour brought to the attention of the BOM would be acted upon - as would any other breach of the "Codes of Conduct". The board does not have any discretion on this, all breaches of the codes, formally referred to them, must be followed up. The action taken would depend on the circumstances. (Most likely a verbal warning, if it were the first time.)

I did read and understand it. :)
    My point is that giving grinds to ones own students is a clear breach of ethics and I'm surprised that it is even a matter for discussion.

Any instance of such behaviour brought to the attention of the BOM would be acted upon - as would any other breach of the "Codes of Conduct". The board does not have any discretion on this, all breaches of the codes, formally referred to them, must be followed up. The action taken would depend on the circumstances. (Most likely a verbal warning, if it were the first time.)

While I strongly disagree with teachers giving grinds to their own students it does happen where a teacher may give grinds to students in their school. Hillel, it is not a serious breach of the code of conduct or a matter of urgency for the Board of Managment in a school (much as you clearly want it to be considering your HUGE issue with grinds in general)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Mainly because you keep bringing it up, directly or indirectly, as far as I can see.

I'm getting a little tired of some of the sub-surface cross-currents sloshing around this forum recently ... a forum, by the way, which is intended primarily for LC students and their needs. Those who wish to offer helpful advice and / or share useful experience are of course extremely welcome, but arguments re: teachers' contracts / codes of conduct are probably better placed in Teaching & Learning.

On the general thread topic, I think we have a general sense of the norms around the place by now.

As when shopping for anything, use your common sense, "shop around" and see what is the best value for money. Word of mouth is often the best way to identify those who provide a good, value-for-money service.

Caveat emptor!

("Let the buyer beware!" ... for those of you who missed out on a real education! :pac: )

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement