Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secret Federalists

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

What you are trying to argue here is that it took an external invasion to unify the Swiss. This argument works, imo, if the two situations are comparable.
    The best and closest historical example of something like this is Switzerland. Up until Napoleon, the old Swiss Confederation was very a loose one of independent sovereign states. While they tended not to go to war against each other (at least since the Reformation), they would often send mercenaries to fight on opposing sides in Europe's other wars, and thus had no coherent common foreign policy. Indeed, no real common policies to speak of. Not even a common currency.
    This is where the example fails. We have gone well beyond what the Swiss Confederation before their invasion yet there has been no invasion on the EU acting as the trigger to get us to this point. The Swiss example might have worked at the very early stages the EU.

Personally I don't know where the EU is going, but I'm not seeing limiting processes kick in. Maybe the French and Germans will put a stop to it at a certain point but we certainly haven't reached that point yet and no on knows when it will be reached.

We have already gone a small way towards federalism, imo, though it is politically incorrect to call it that. Where I disagree with some of the posters on this thread is that I don't think wherever the EU is going needs to have a democratic core. I'm still wondering if that is what people see as the ideal EU: something with more central power than at present, but with appointed officials making the decisions?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,687 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

out of a strange curiosity...

does anyone know how a federal state within another federal state would work?

just wondering about Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Nevore wrote: »
    So, yes won the day, yay etc.

I've kept my opinions fairly close to my chest the last few weeks. Argued the more reasonable arguements for the treaty etc etc but secretly, in my heart, I'm a Federalist. I've loved the idea of a pan-European, if not state, then at least more substantial political body than the EU currently stands as, since I was first able to comprehend this whole politics malarky.

Now, not for some wierd WW3 fantasies of EU vs Megacity1 vs SinoCit in 100 years time but because I honestly believe that the course of human history will be marked by greater and greater political hegemony and that for me at least is a Good Thing.

So who else voted yes because they actually do want to be ruled from Brussels?

No, I have to say I'm fine with the current hybrid. There are things it makes sense to do at a European level, and things that make sense to do at a national level (there are also things it makes sense to do at a local level, but we don't do those things), so I'm happy enough that there are structures to produce that result. I don't see any case for reversing the flow of legitimacy within the EU - the nations should remain, as they currently are, the "masters of the treaties".

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

SkepticOne wrote: »
    This argument works, imo, if the two situations are comparable... This is where the example fails.
    I disagree. Comparable means does not mean that they are an exact match. We may have the Euro, while no such currency existed in Switzerland, but neither is the Euro a common currency yet. There may also be a greater web of interdependent laws and regulations in the EU, but what is ultimately comparable is that both are/were composed of independent states that were loosely coordinated, often in competition with each other and none of whom wanted to lose sovereignty.

So in reality we've not really gone too far beyond what the old Swiss Confederation achieved, in this regard.

What you're suggesting is a creeping unification scenario as was seen with Germany as it transitioned from German Confederation to German Reich. For this to occur, would require one dominant state. In the German example, this was Prussia, who's only real potential rival was Austria - which split from the confederation, leaving Prussia dominant.

Were the EU like this I would agree, but there are at least three potential major rivals - Germany, France and the UK - or more if you include Italy, Spain or Poland. This more closely follows the Swiss situation that had a number of rival cantons (notably Zurich, Bern and Geneva), rather than one dominant one that swallowed up the rest.

Ultimately you have to ask yourself would Germany, France or the UK allow control of their foreign policy to be taken over by the other two, or would either France or the UK allow their permanent seats on the UN Security Council become 'EU' seats, because this is what you are in effect suggesting they would want.

And as things stand that's simply not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭finbar10

I won't say that it'll never happen, but with the present process of integration it won't.

Ultimately, there is absolutely no way that countries such as Germany, the UK or France (let alone the rest) would gleefully allow their national identity to be overridden by a supernational entity such as the EU. For something like that, we would require a serious socio-economic shock to the system, such as a war, to make it viable.

The best and closest historical example of something like this is Switzerland. Up until Napoleon, the old Swiss Confederation was very a loose one of independent sovereign states. While they tended not to go to war against each other (at least since the Reformation), they would often send mercenaries to fight on opposing sides in Europe's other wars, and thus had no coherent common foreign policy. Indeed, no real common policies to speak of. Not even a common currency.

In 1798 Napoleon invaded and easily overran the independent, sovereign and ultimately completely uncoordinated states of Switzerland and established the Helvetic Republic (and introduced the first Swiss Francs). Ultimately, Napoleon and the Helvetic Republic fell and things returned to business as usual, however the experience of the Helvetic Republic and Napoleon's easy conquest remained and eventually the Swiss decided to adopt many aspects of a centralized state by 1848 - forming what is now the modern Switzerland.

The point to the above history lesson, is that pre-Napoleonic Switzerland was composed of numerous fiercely independent states that while happy to have a loose series of treaties with each other, had no interest in allowing their national identities to be overridden by any supernational entity - just like the EU - and they probably would have continued with this view indefinitely, were it not for extraordinary events imposed upon them that caused them to re-evaluate their position.

And the EU will almost certainly do the same - will never become a federal state, unless some extraordinary event convinces the member states that it is in their self interest to do so.

That's an interesting parallel. I am a big admirer of the Swiss democratic setup (even if it's not without its flaws). I really do hope the EU evolves much more in this direction. And yes I can't see the EU going down a federal route for now. There's really no proper European demos yet anyway.

But the governments in Europe are quite keen on more integration. They either don't want to or can't (due to their electorates) go down a federal route. Therefore integration seems to be mostly going down a route where more power is being given to primarily intergovernmental EU institutions. Lisbon certainly gives the council more power. Most of the other EU institutions other than the parliament are primarily intergovernmental in nature as well. The commission is composed of the appointees of the national political leaders. Even the judges of the ECJ are appointed by the national governments.

I'm uncomfortable with this trend. I consider politicians to be something of a necessary evil. We couldn't function without them. But that doesn't mean we should entirely trust them. They need careful watching! :) Something I don't really like about the current EU setup is its lack of proper checks and balances. That was the primary reason for my no vote yesterday. I must admit to being disappointed at the result but anyway that's how the people voted.

The US federal system is well constructed: Senate v Congress v Executive. Supreme court justices have to go before the Senate before being appointed. The primarily intergovernmental nature of the EU means the national leaders collectively have far more power than they would have individually. I think this power is poorly counterbalanced by a weak and incoherent European parliament and a fragmented body of national parliaments (already likely to be in the pocket of their corresponding ministers/prime ministers). I think this is where the perception about the unaccountability of EU institutions arises.

I think a stronger European Parliament would be a good idea. I don't think it would be any more populist than existing national parliaments. I don't feel the increased codecision powers are anyway near enough. It could be potentially a far more coherent and powerful check on the other intergovernmental institutions. The extra powers to the national parliaments are more symbolic than real. I really don't like the commission. It's even less accountable than the council. It's potentially too prone to lobbying. To be honest I feel the commission should just be merged with the parliament.

The EU tries to balance the principles of equality of states versus equality of individual citizens. Currently the intergovernmental council tries to do both at the same time. I'd rather that the council be the institution that just embodies equality of states. Germany would have the same vote as Malta. Maybe requiring 2/3 of countries to agree to a proposal for it to pass would be about right. I'd prefer the parliament to embody the equality of citizens principle (and get rid of degressive proportionality). And allow it to also propose legislation. Maybe just a simple majority would be required here. And allow the parliament a veto on all appointments to the ECJ.

The Swiss federal government is deliberately kept to a minimum. The Cantons have whatever powers not given to the federal institutions. I'd also rather wish this minimalist approach was much more strongly incorporated into the EU treaties.

I'm not sure the current rush towards giving more power (especially population based QMV type voting) to the council is the right approach for the European project to take. I would have prefered the powers of the parliament were gradually increased first. Allow it to block council proposals in more areas with a simple rather than an absolute majority. Allow it to block ECJ appointments. And allow it to propose legislation in its own right by merging it with the commission. That would have been much easier to do if more unanimity had been kept in the council. And then if a European demos had gradually developed it would have been much easier and more palatable for the requirement for unanimity in the council to be lowered to 2/3 of countries or whatever. And this would have been even more palatable if strong restrictions were placed on how much power the central EU institutions could take on relative to the national parliaments.

I fear under the current system the bigger countries will be reluctant to ever give up their stronger voting weights in the council. And the parliament may therefore never be allowed to become a more effective and powerful check on the council. In my opinion the council is being given too much power too quickly in a way that is not particularly accountable, and I really don't feel European citizens are being brought along entirely willingly either. I feel it's all happening a bit too much too fast and I'm not entirely convinced the best structures are in place.

• Advertisement

Ultimately you have to ask yourself would Germany, France or the UK allow control of their foreign policy to be taken over by the other two, or would either France or the UK allow their permanent seats on the UN Security Council become 'EU' seats, because this is what you are in effect suggesting they would want.
    Back 15 years ago, would France or Germany or the UK have agreed to what we will now instituted with Lisbon? Of course not. The process at work here is that each step towards unification brings about the argument and conditions for further unification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

While I would considering myself pro Europe and somewhat of a federalist, I can see that this is prob the last treaty for at least 10 years.

I don't think the appetite for more European integration is out there among the people.

However, I thing going further into this century, further integration will be needed to keep Europe relevant in a future world which will be dominated by superstates such as the USA, China and India.

More federalism you would imagine would bring cost savings accross the board. For instance, you would get a lot more army for your money if there was a single European army rather than having 27 seperate ones each being funded sperately.

finbar10 wrote: »
    That's an interesting parallel. I am a big admirer of the Swiss democratic setup (even if it's not without its flaws). I really do hope the EU evolves much more in this direction. And yes I can't see the EU going down a federal route for now. There's really no proper European demos yet anyway.
    That's assuming that federalism has something to do with democracy at the federal level.

Back 15 years ago, would France or Germany or the UK have agreed to what we will now instituted with Lisbon? Of course not.
    Please qualify the specifics of that claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Nevore wrote: »
    So who else voted yes because they actually do want to be ruled from Brussels?

I'm all for a united Europe but I didn't like the structures put in place by the Lisbon treaty. And since I was only eligible for a vote due to a 'system error' anyway I couldn't make myself vote at all. Def'ny not 'Yes'.

Also when I heard about the possibility of Tony Blair becoming the first European President I learned something about myself. I'm not as ready for Europe as I thought I would be. I wasn't comfortable at all with the thought of being presided by an Englishman and surely not by that working class traitor & war criminal.
    So I would be happy if things stayed the way they are at the moment but on a historical scale I'd like to see it happen - some day.

• Advertisement

Please qualify the specifics of that claim.

I'd believe it.
    Only 20 years ago the Brits nearly had a fit with regards to the German reunification. Rumour has it there is secret clauses written down 'somewhere' which effectively still restrict German sovereignty to a certain extent. <takes tin foil hat off>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I think a stronger European Parliament would be a good idea.

I do too, which is why I voted Yes yesterday. Lisbon increases the EU Parliaments oversight on legislation from 80% of legislation to 95%. It increases the oversight on the EU budget from 20% to 100%. Surely this is the kind of thing you desire?

Thats not the only check or balance. Lisbon gives national parliaments a bigger say. Yes, you are right in saying that in many cases the council of ministers will control parliament back home. But that doesn't change the fact that if theres legislation you disagree with you can now lobby both your MEP and your TD. And try and make them vote against their party-colleague who is on the CoM.

And then theres the citizens initiative. I concede its weak but it has to be otherwise extreme fanatics like Coir would start getting a hold of Europe. Your bound to find 1 million nutcases across Europe. But the commission is forced to consider it.

The charter of fundamental rights enhances your position under the ECJ. If you feel EU law goes against your rights you can now, after Lisbon, take a case to the courts arguing same.

I just dont see how you could be for checks and balances and yet against Lisbon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I'm a federalist, I think the EU should become a federal state.

Don't think I've kept that a secret though...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

realcam wrote: »
    Also when I heard about the possibility of Tony Blair becoming the first European President I learned something about myself. I'm not as ready for Europe as I thought I would be. I wasn't comfortable at all with the thought of being presided by an Englishman and surely not by that working class traitor & war criminal..

What about the last two times he held the post? Did the sky fall in? Personally I'd rather see a German get the job. Or a Belgian. Verhofstadt ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I'm not opposed to a federal Europe in principle, but I don't think it would work. Not any time remotely soon at least. Until such a time as racism and nationalism are things of the past (to name just two examples), I would probably vote against it.

It is an appealing ideal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Mr. SS

i did, im definatly a federalist. it would be easy for us to maintain our identity in a federal europe because we are an island with a large diaspora particularly in america which keeps us in peoples minds through movies and tv. it would be harder for the smaller continental countries like belgium or slovakia, so it is really up to them how deep we want to go, now that lisbon is passed we'll never have to ask voters again!!! yay!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

I love being an EU citizen and I am very happy with the current shape of the EU but I don't want it to be a Federal State. Ireland has disproportionate influence at the minute and I can see this being severely affected under a Federal model.

I think the EU is totally unique and will continue to be unique. It doesn't need to follow a older political model but continue to create a new one.

now that lisbon is passed we'll never have to ask voters again!!! yay!!!

hmmm I am going to regret this but how did you come to this conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭finbar10

turgon wrote: »
    I do too, which is why I voted Yes yesterday. Lisbon increases the EU Parliaments oversight on legislation from 80% of legislation to 95%. It increases the oversight on the EU budget from 20% to 100%. Surely this is the kind of thing you desire?

It does gain some powers. The gain of full rather than partial control of the budget is good. It can amend legislation and has some oversight powers. But it's still easily the weakest of all the EU bodies. In some ways it's somewhat like our Seanad in terms of relative power to the Dáil.
    Thats not the only check or balance. Lisbon gives national parliaments a bigger say. Yes, you are right in saying that in many cases the council of ministers will control parliament back home. But that doesn't change the fact that if theres legislation you disagree with you can now lobby both your MEP and your TD. And try and make them vote against their party-colleague who is on the CoM.
    It's a weak power. National parliaments can only object on grounds of subsidiarity. If a third object the commission may consider it, but is not obliged to give more than an explanation. A very high bar is set for definitely blocking anything: a majority of national parliaments and either 55% of the council or a majority in the EP.

Anyway, it's rare a prime minister and parliament are going to disagree! I'd be happier if a third of parliaments could actually block any legislation. But even there I'd wonder if that would really ever happen. I'd doubt that national parliaments could ever really be a good counterbalance to the power of the council.
    And then theres the citizens initiative. I concede its weak but it has to be otherwise extreme fanatics like Coir would start getting a hold of Europe. Your bound to find 1 million nutcases across Europe. But the commission is forced to consider it.
    The citizen's initiative is one of the most attractive parts of Swiss democracy. The Swiss have a nice sprinkling of direct democracy in their system. It's something I'd really love to see in the Irish constitution. I wouldn't say there's no downsides. Switzerland was one of the very last places in Europe to give the vote to women. Swiss men just kept refusing in referenda to give them the vote! The sexist pigs! :D But otherwise it has worked very well there.

The problem with the citizen's initiative in Lisbon is that the European treaties certainly aren't yet on a secure enough basis to allow European citizen's to tinker with them in such a way. You'll notice they aren't allowing European referenda on such initiatives! Even holding European wide referenda would require alternations to the constitutions of a number of countries. I can't see any way such initiatives could be made mandatory. It'll always be at the discretion of the commission. I'm sure they'll get lots of wacky initiatives. I think this provision may become something of a joke. It's likely some Europhile groups will propose some initiatives the commission likes which will then be made into law. The rest will be ignored. My cynical side says this is mostly just window dressing to cover over accountability issues in Lisbon.
    The charter of fundamental rights enhances your position under the ECJ. If you feel EU law goes against your rights you can now, after Lisbon, take a case to the courts arguing same.
    The Charter will increase the power of the ECJ and the its judges which are appointed by the leaders of the EU countries (who probably with their own political agendas for the EU in mind when selecting these). I've mixed feelings about this. In the US states can have widely differing laws and stances on marriage, social issues, the death penalty, gun control etc.. Some have gay marriage, some don't. There's quite a bit of diversity. I hope the ECJ won't use the Charter to try to overly homogenize laws across the Union in some kind of expansionary drive.
    I just dont see how you could be for checks and balances and yet against Lisbon. :)
    The European parliament becomes marginally more powerful. The council becomes much more powerful and less gridlocked through the removal of vetoes in many areas and the rejigging of QMV. European prime ministers and ministers (particularly in the bigger states) can exercise more power with minimal censure from their own parliaments. And the European parliament ermains still too weak and incoherent to act as a check on them either.

The council has an interesting structure. It would be as if all the governors of the US states jointly sat on a single federal institution which simultaneously combined most powers of the Senate (representation by state), Congress (representation according to population) and President (executive) into one body, with perhaps a secondary (EP like) chamber with certain blocking and oversight powers. I'm still not convinced this is a good idea.

prinz wrote: »
    What about the last two times he held the post? Did the sky fall in? Personally I'd rather see a German get the job. Or a Belgian. Verhofstadt ftw.

No but personally I'd like to see someone in that post who has less of a despicable record. This man belongs in prison, not in office.

Belgian would be fine, or Swedish or so

Edit: Hey, I must have gotten really on your wrong side , did I?

• Advertisement

well there is nothing to confirm that blair is going to get the position. Jean-Claude Juncker (fom luxemberg) has as much if not more support among european nations for the position then Blair. Considering he comes a small state, has had very stong ties with the european project and hasnt gone against other EU states over issues like Iraq, I would personnally bet more states (Germany has already hinted as such) would back him over Blair

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The Charter will increase the power of the ECJ and the its judges which are appointed by the leaders of the EU countries (who probably with their own political agendas for the EU in mind when selecting these). I've mixed feelings about this. In the US states can have widely differing laws and stances on marriage, social issues, the death penalty, gun control etc.. Some have gay marriage, some don't. There's quite a bit of diversity. I hope the ECJ won't use the Charter to try to overly homogenize laws across the Union in some kind of expansionary drive.

The ECJ cannot do this because the EU does not have does not have any compatency in areas like family law and morality etc.

The Charter of Fundamental rights can only be applied by a citizen to challenge European laws, or national legislation that has a basis in EU law (ie the transposition of a directive).

It cannot be used as a basis to challenge exclusively national law in the ECJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    well there is nothing to confirm that blair is going to get the position. Jean-Claude Juncker (fom luxemberg) has as much if not more support among european nations for the position then Blair. Considering he comes a small state, has had very stong ties with the european project and hasnt gone against other EU states over issues like Iraq, I would personnally bet more states (Germany has already hinted as such) would back him over Blair

Common sense. It'll be a compromise candidate.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I'm not opposed to a federal Europe in principle, but I don't think it would work. Not any time remotely soon at least. Until such a time as racism and nationalism are things of the past (to name just two examples), I would probably vote against it.

It is an appealing ideal though.
    Do you think you voted to bring the EU in the direction of federalism by voting Yes, even if there's still a long way to go? I'd be interested in hearing the views of other yes voters on this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Do you think you voted to bring the EU in the direction of federalism by voting Yes, even if there's still a long way to go? I'd be interested in hearing the views of other yes voters on this too.

If I thought this was the case, I would have been far more hesitant about giving Lisbon a Yes.

I see the replacement of the Constitution with Lisbon as a definite indication that there is no wish for a USE in general, at present anyway.

In fact, I thought of Lisbon as a move towards a less centralised EU. I explained my reasoning for this in another thread, which I'm not going to look for now, but if you're interested it was titled 'Lisbon and sovereignty.'

While no one can say for sure that the member states won't decide to move in a federal direction eventually, I don't think Lisbon is a step down that road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Not especially, as really when one looks at it the fundamental structure and functioning of the EU remains the same.

Commission: No new power except the ability to initiate legislation in the four new competency areas added by the treaty (no new exclusive compatencies, one shared compatency - Energy, and three very limited supporting compatencies including administration and tourism).

Council: Changes to QMV system of voting, which I am very much in favour of. Council powers remain the basically the same apart from this. Affect of the weight changes to Ireland voting power is vastly overstated.

Parliament: Same function as before, readjustment of MEP numbers, areas of co-decision up from 80% to 95%.

Areas moved to QMV - 50 altogether, a good many of which are extremley uninteresting areas like appointing board members to ECB, changing the ECJ statute etc. Only major areas of change are in the area of Freedom and Justice which we do not participate in currently. Since we are not in at the moment, we can hardly object much if the other countries who do participate are willing to accept this.

Foreign Policy / Defence: We still have our veto in this are, and our neutrality is not compromised. Member states will never give up their vetos in this area so I am not concerned about any future developments here

I really cannot see any big issues TBH.

realcam wrote: »
    I'd believe it.
    Only 20 years ago the Brits nearly had a fit with regards to the German reunification. Rumour has it there is secret clauses written down 'somewhere' which effectively still restrict German sovereignty to a certain extent. <takes tin foil hat off>
    As with SkepticOne's earlier claim this smacks of conspiratorial 'gut feeling' rather than anything factual. To claim that countries like France or Germany are actively looking to effectively vote themselves out of existence simply ignores national opinion and political self-interest in these countries in favour of some dark federalist Illuminati plot.

I've yet to hear a convincing argument put to explain how or why national opinion and political self-interest will be discarded. So far all I've heard are fuzzy claims of "we're going in that direction".

The reality is that the EU may continue to integrate politically and economically, but in the framework of overarching treaties rather than as a single state. For the level of centralization that is being suggested to take place there would have to be a significant reason, self-interest so powerful as to override both nationalism and the desire of national politicians to retain control.

That reason could come in the form of a global crisis, such as a complete economic meltdown (2008 times ten) or World War 3. But until then, there's a limit to how far down the road of a USE we will go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

USE :eek: Well for the love of god :confused: What in the world is going through peoples minds :eek:

caseyann wrote: »
    USE :eek: Well for the love of god :confused: What in the world is going through peoples minds :eek:
    That it is a thread about European federalism is probably on people's minds.

• Advertisement

caseyann wrote: »

It is not a great mystery really. A minority of people are isolationalists, another minority of people are federalists, the vast majority of people are to be found in somewhere in between.

Advertisement