Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orwell's 1984 Political Geography

• 04-10-2009 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

I decided to post this here instead of the politics forum.

How many of you have read George Orwell's 1984? I'd imagine a fair few of you have read it. It's such a well done book, so if you haven't read it, it's certainly worth a look.

Orwell wrote the book in the 1940s I believe and some of his projections are well-documented and scarily accurate. I was recently thinking about the whole United States of Europe thing, on the back of the Lisbon Treaty and the political geography popped into my mind again. You'd think that politicians and the powers-that-be are using 1984 as a road-map to the future!

Here it is:

1984_fictious_world_map.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If we had rejected Lisbon we would have remained a part of Oceania which probably would not have made much difference in the long term when all these super continents merge to form the upcoming Global order. :eek:

The book is surprisingly accurate for something that was written back in 1948

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

There are positive aspects to the concept of universal government, but there are also countless negative aspects.

Some old proverbs come to mind:

'Don't put all your eggs in one basket'

'Variety is the spice of life'

Advertisement