Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a lens to rent for this project

• 04-10-2009 1:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Going to be taking pics of a dark room (cinema room) with some mood lighting only to get the cinema feel.

going to go for a wide angle lens to get in as much of the room as poss. Any recommendations on the best lens to use to make use of minimal light and so I can use as low iso as possible. will have tripod and all subjects are stationiary.

thanks guys,bit of a strange question but would appreciate any tips

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

What camera do you have? When you say stationary do you objects or people standing still?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If there isn't anything that moves in the room & you have a tripod, then you do not require a fast lens, just a long exposure. You can shut down the aperture to give you a large DoF too.

The angle (width) you require depends on the size of the room. The actual lens depends on the body you will be using.

I have found the Sigma 10-20 very handy for these sort of things on a Nikon DX body. I bought the lens with the Kilmainham Gaol Project in mind & it was the main lens I used there. Others good shots were taken with the 10.5mm fisheye, but you may not like the distortion from that lens, though it works great for some shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

For extra special effects you could try a fisheye ... when used properly they create some amazingly sharp and spacious shots ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

What camera do you have? When you say stationary do you objects or people standing still?

I have a canon 400d so i'm a bit worried about noise if i go past iso 800.No people will be in the image so it means that long exposure will work.
    CabanSail wrote: »
    If there isn't anything that moves in the room & you have a tripod, then you do not require a fast lens, just a long exposure. You can shut down the aperture to give you a large DoF too.

The angle (width) you require depends on the size of the room. The actual lens depends on the body you will be using.

I have found the Sigma 10-20 very handy for these sort of things on a Nikon DX body. I bought the lens with the Kilmainham Gaol Project in mind & it was the main lens I used there. Others good shots were taken with the 10.5mm fisheye, but you may not like the distortion from that lens, though it works great for some shots.

I can get my hands on a 10-20 or 12-24, have thought that these would be best but i understand that some are better than the others so would like advise on which would be best for low light exposure that has to pick up mood lighting clearly. on a canon 400d body

true,fisheye wouldn't really work as he doesn't need anything in the creative sense.

thanks for advise so far guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

I have a canon 400d so i'm a bit worried about noise if i go past iso 800.No people will be in the image so it means that long exposure will work.

then simply turn the iso down to 100, set the aperture to whatever you want for the depth of field look you want, and let the shutter speed work itself out. Once you have a stable tripod, it's easy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Obviously shoot RAW (should not have to say that) but if you think that there will be more than 3 stops on the highlights then Bracket the exposures. Keep the aperture constant & vary shutter speed.

Advertisement