Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40 oz malt liquors

Options
  • 04-10-2009 3:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

anywhere in Ireland that stock any? Over in the USA last summer I tasted lots of different kinds, they were usually around $2-$2.50/40oz, which works out at 70c per 500ml 8%, so its like getting a 500ml can of beer for 35c here in terms of alcohol percentages

olde english 800 was my favourite and high gravity steel I think also. I doubt they would they would be reasonably priced if available here.

I couldnt believe it when i saw a bottle of wild turkey in o briens back in january, I also couldnt believe the price, maybe 250% of what I had payed for it in the states

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

I often get a craving for one of these every now and then after spending summers over in the states.

I doubt they're be found anywhere here though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

baltika 9 is a good substitute for malt liquor ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Lol way to go guys reviving posts from 2009.

Have ye had defibrillator training? :P

I'd love to try out a 40oz however, and wish there were similar prices here :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

40 oz are for the bums on the street,most are crap beers,its a cheap way to get drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭bnt

First I heard of these was in the context of rappers talking about "forties", and had to look up what that meant. I shudder to think what one of those would do to my head.

There's at least one website dedicated to them e.g. this site has a Story of the Forty - interesting reading from this side of the Pond.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

40 oz are for the bums on the street,most are crap beers,its a cheap way to get drunk
    they taste much nicer than Turborg,Bavaria,Dutch Gold etc, even nicer than Budweiser which isnt difficult

I dont give a ****e if its popular with bums on the street, I like it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Never had the chance to try one, but they strike me as the beer equivalent of fortified wines - and in that category you can run the gamut from a nice Tawny Port to a litre of Buckfast. I generally don't see the need to boost alcohol content for its own sake, but I can't deny that it can be made to work.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

bnt wrote: »
    Never had the chance to try one, but they strike me as the beer equivalent of fortified wines - and in that category you can run the gamut from a nice Tawny Port to a litre of Buckfast. I generally don't see the need to boost alcohol content for its own sake, but I can't deny that it can be made to work.

I had fortified cider over in the UK, 10% with '33% extra free' labeling, it must have cost 40c, anyway it was disgusting. never had a malt I didnt like. malt drinks are very popular in Africa, both alcoholic and soft drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I had fortified cider over in the UK, 10% with '33% extra free' labeling, it must have cost 40c, anyway it was disgusting. never had a malt I didnt like. malt drinks are very popular in Africa, both alcoholic and soft drinks

The irony is that they are usually made with proportionally less malt than conventional beers. The reason the alcohol content is so high while the price is so low is because they add cheap grains like corn and rice to them in place of malted barley.

I have consumed forties for ironic value (Boyz n the Hood-style) but to me they taste awful.

Advertisement