Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the Yes side follow through on its claims?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    This means nothing. The No side broke some of those rules the last time around and probably did again this time.

People voted No last time based on the lies of Libertas, Coir etc.

They voted Yes this time based on the fact that almost anyone of any standing or influence in the country from politics or from business was advocating a Yes vote.

The public arent as stupid as you think and Ganley et al arent as smart.

oh you better be careful saying people voted based on anything other then total comprehension of the treaty! there is a guy on here who just doesnt tolerate that kind of thing lol
    :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Waterford firm to create 20 jobs
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1005/breaking1.htm

They promise us jobs after we accept Lisbon, and we get jobs... DISGRACEFUL! Should have lied tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Sully wrote: »

They promise us jobs after we accept Lisbon, and we get jobs... DISGRACEFUL! Should have lied tbh.

http://www.fiannafail.ie/blog/entry/ratification-of-lisbon-represents-an-important-step-towards-resolving-our-p/

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Lots of mention of the phrase "self-interest" in that Fianna Failure article.

Par for the course, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Lots of mention of the phrase "self-interest" in that Fianna Failure article.

Par for the course, really.

I notice no shortage of self-interest anywhere. A little more altruism would make the world a nicer place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭rumour

ei.sdraob wrote: »

:eek: Look at this!!!! STRAIGHT FROM YOUR LINK!

In July, it was revealed that almost 15 per cent of the loans given out by the European Central Bank to the European banking sector went to Irish-based institutions. That's a massive show of support for our banking system. The liquidity made available by the ECB has been indispensable to us as we strive to cope with the credit crunch and sustain jobs across the country. The ECB is now ensuring that our interest rates are at an all-time low. This is a powerful illustration of the extent to which the European Union is crucial to our collective economic well-being.

Just cannot get over the spin(underlined by myself).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Fecking Yes side. There announcing even more fecking jobs. Disgraceful. I hope someone took a picture of the "Yes to Jobs" advert!!!

50 financial services jobs for Sligo
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1005/equinoxe.html

Tut.

rumour wrote: »
    :eek: Look at this!!!! STRAIGHT FROM YOUR LINK!

In July, it was revealed that almost 15 per cent of the loans given out by the European Central Bank to the European banking sector went to Irish-based institutions. That's a massive show of support for our banking system. The liquidity made available by the ECB has been indispensable to us as we strive to cope with the credit crunch and sustain jobs across the country. The ECB is now ensuring that our interest rates are at an all-time low. This is a powerful illustration of the extent to which the European Union is crucial to our collective economic well-being.

Just cannot get over the spin(underlined by myself).

well done

yes the ECB are keeping this country from imploding

how nice of them, only them stupid europeans would be foolish enough to continue pumping money into a bankrupt country

does the NO side never give up? its monday now, the sky hasnt fallen yet :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

kryogen wrote: »
    Just wanna get a poll going here, doing a little piece and would like to get some opinions, basically, the question is, the slogans such as Yes for recovery and Yes for jobs etc. were a big influence on alot of voters in how they voted, do you think these claims will be backed up? if so, how and if they are not upheld then what do people think should be done, eg, resignations, holding another referendum, absolutely nothing, etc.

any replies appreciated but please keep it civil, i would really like to get a good sample here for my research

argh! forgot to add a poll, so lets just make it a discussion thread please! all thoughts welcome

EDIT: i reckon i should clarify a couple of things so here is exactly what i want

1. Do you think the yes side will follow through on claims such as speedy economic recovery and jobs being created in a speedy fashion as was implied
    2. If they fail in these areas what should happen then

Yawn. Seriously.

• Advertisement

Wheely wrote: »
    Yawn. Seriously.

Begs the queston, why bother replying at all? your day must have been pretty boring i guess

Sully wrote: »

They did not promise jobs, ask Mr. Lenihan!

Nice to hear some good news (even if it is a tiny amount of jobs :)) for a change all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭rumour

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    well done

yes the ECB are keeping this country from imploding

how nice of them, only them stupid europeans would be foolish enough to continue pumping money into a bankrupt country

does the NO side never give up? its monday now, the sky hasnt fallen yet :rolleyes:

Well we've backed the EU to sort out all our problems, I wonder can we stay the course. Or is this just another fair weather friend.

And BTW there is no 'NO' side now its over. There's just a third of the country politically disenfranchised. But thats another discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Yes vote prevented market slump, say brokers

A DRAMATIC fall on the Dublin stock market was avoided yesterday due to the resounding Yes vote in the Lisbon Treaty referendum, according to stockbrokers. Traders had feared that a No vote would send the Iseq tumbling by as much as 20 per cent yesterday, but instead the index of Irish shares held its value.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/1006/1224255984213.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Well we've backed the EU to sort out all our problems, I wonder can we stay the course. Or is this just another fair weather friend.

Yeah they've just been building us up since 1972 to knock us down, no other reason for it.
    And BTW there is no 'NO' side now its over. There's just a third of the country politically disenfranchised. But thats another discussion.

A third of the electorate, how difficult is this concept? You'll need to look up how representative democracy works again - majority rule an' all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭BetterLisbon

The important thing for the no side is to keep the treaty controversy alive. The yes side made explicit promises of jobs and economic recovery. There is no way to wriggle out of it unless the no side disbands and is not there to remind the public. I fully expect IFE, We Belong, GenYes and all Brendan Halligan's "civil society" groups will quietly exit stageleft and go back to their political parties especially as there may be a general election soon.

... The yes side made explicit promises of jobs and economic recovery...

No, they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Yes, they did.

http://www.fiannafail.ie/news/entry/YestoLisbon/
    Yes to Lisbon, Yes to FDI, Yes to New Jobs
    She said that a strong YES vote on Friday week would give new impetus to job creation and an export-led recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

The major political parties certainly suggested that a "Yes" vote would assist economic recovery.

I believe I stated my reservations on another thread, before the referendum.

I have noticed that some people seem to be under the impression that those who failed to understand the treaty/paid attention to posters (on whatever side) are inferior citizens.

Thankfully, the right to vote is not dependent on intelligence - so may I respectfully request that people show respect for one another, whatever their personal opinion of any persons intelligence?

I believe it would prevent a lot of threads becoming "slanging matches", to the benefit of all who participate.

Noreen

dresden8 wrote: »

1. That is one voice on the yes side, not representing all who advocated a yes vote.
    2. They are not explicit promises; "new impetus to job creation" is not an explicit promise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

1. That is one voice on the yes side, not representing all who advocated a yes vote.

No harm to you, but doesn't it suck when an entire 'side' is tarred with the words of one person / group?

:)

2. They are not explicit promises; "new impetus to job creation" is not an explicit promise.

That one voice is Tanaiste and Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment.

"Yes to New Jobs".

That one voice is Tanaiste and Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment.

It's Mary Coughlan: don't expect her to get everything right.
    "Yes to New Jobs".

I'll give you that the header over-eggs the pudding; the text is a bit more restrained.

But it's still not explict. There is nothing about how many jobs might arise from our assenting to Lisbon, or how long it might take them to materialise.

It is absurd to expect results so soon. I don't expect the prediction made on the no side that the minimum wage will fall to €1.84 to come through for at least 3 years. When that happens, we''ll win those Dell jobs back from Poland. Will we be allowed count them as new jobs?

It's Mary Coughlan: don't expect her to get everything right.

You hit us with Coir, we'll hit you with Mary Coughlan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Lose-lose - how nice!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I want to see the Son of a Biatch prove it?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭truthisfree

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    This means nothing. The No side broke some of those rules the last time around and probably did again this time.

People voted No last time based on the lies of Libertas, Coir etc.

They voted Yes this time based on the fact that almost anyone of any standing or influence in the country from politics or from business was advocating a Yes vote.

The public arent as stupid as you think
    and Ganley et al arent as smart.

I work full time in media, Yes the public are stupid and will swallow anything as long as it is in byte sized lumps, don't think for a minute that someone like myself cannot be hired by the main parties to "sell" their BS and not be taken in by it! In case you have not noticed most people are idiots and do no more than read a few headlines in the newspapers while buying a pint of milk. Dream on kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I work full time in media, Yes the public are stupid and will swallow anything as long as it is in byte sized lumps, don't think for a minute that someone like myself cannot be hired by the main parties to "sell" their BS and not be taken in by it! In case you have not noticed most people are idiots and do no more than read a few headlines in the newspapers while buying a pint of milk. Dream on kid!

And of course this never applied to the No side last time.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement