Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats and Windows

Options
  • 04-10-2009 8:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

We haven't even got a rescue kitten yet, but already we are thinking ahead! We only have a sliding door, so we won't be able to have a cat flap. We were thinking of leaving the bathroom window open for the cat. It's a very small window, yet we are still worried that robbers be able to get in.

I was wondering if there is any sort of device out there that you can attach to a small open window that would allow a cat to be able to get out, yet would keep the house secure?? Or any ideas on what else we could do to keep cat happy and robbers out!?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

There's a thread below about cat flaps in patio doors, its a panel that can be removed and taken with you if you're renting.
    You can also get catflaps put in windows or doors, my sister in law had one put in their PVC back door, but it cost €250 or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

cosnochta wrote: »
    I was wondering if there is any sort of device out there that you can attach to a small open window that would allow a cat to be able to get out, yet would keep the house secure??

Yepp, it's called a steel bar :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭cosnochta

mymo wrote: »
    There's a thread below about cat flaps in patio doors, its a panel that can be removed and taken with you if you're renting.
    You can also get catflaps put in windows or doors, my sister in law had one put in their PVC back door, but it cost €250 or more.

I did see that thread, but it's an american company, don't think they ship here.

I'm renting, so can't get a flap put in the doors or windows, unfortunately.

peasant wrote: »
    Yepp, it's called a steel bar :D

I think that would involve too much drilling etc....Landlord probably wouldn't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I know im stating the obvious here..but do you have to let the cat out? He/she'll do just grand being indoors with a litter tray and toys. You can let her out if you feel its necessary when you're in the house. Except for the steel bar or patio cat flap im not sure what else you can do.

http://www.pet-bliss.ie/acatalog/Cat_Flaps.html Irish website if interested

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 siobhan.m

Hi, I've 3 cats in my apartment and we were letting them in and out ourselves but I've ordered a catflap to be installed in one of my windows. It involves installing a new double glazed unit with a hole for the cat flap and is a bit pricey at +€200 but at least they will be able to come and go as they please. The price depends on the window size. It takes about 10 days for the glazing company to make it - I should get mine this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Or you could make your own ?
    We have a sliding door and my dad built an inset out of wood that's a long rectangle with the dog flap in the bottom and two panels of mesh above (so it's light to lift/lets air in) and it sits into the slot. Not sure if that's possible / if you know someone who's good at DIY but might be cheaper than ordering one.

star-pants wrote: »
    Or you could make your own ?
    We have a sliding door and my dad built an inset out of wood that's a long rectangle with the dog flap in the bottom and two panels of mesh above (so it's light to lift/lets air in) and it sits into the slot. Not sure if that's possible / if you know someone who's good at DIY but might be cheaper than ordering one.

Good idea! That's the kind of thing I was thinking of. Some diy method of securing the window while allowing a cat to get in and out.

Advertisement