Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some advice

Options
  • 04-10-2009 9:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I have a lovly 1 year old dog and I love him very much. But we are planning to go for a holiday for 3 months! This is the first time we go for holiday after we had the dog. Does anyone know what is the best option to get my dog looked after?
    Personaly I think the dog pannel would be quite expensive for 3 months. If we have no choice at the end, does anyone know how much it will cost us?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I dont know what you meant by a "dog pannel" did you mean dog kennel?

Did you know you were going to be away for so long before you got the dog? 3 months is a long time to be away from a young dog, any dog in fact. but what is done is done

Boarding kennels will cost anything from about €10 to €25 per day and a home sitter will probably cost about the same. You might get a better rate as it would be for a long period. Would a relative or friend mind the dog for you in their home?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If you can afford to go away on hols for 3 months then you can afford the kennels you can work out something with a well run kennel where they should be able to offer you a bit of a discount for being kenneled so long. If you provide the food you also might have to pay a little less.

Might be difficult to get a neighbour or friend to agree to house sit unless they live in the home with the dog it's going to be much too long for a dog to be left with just someone visiting.

At least with a kennel the dog will possibly be able to mix with other dogs and more people although do ensure you pick a reliable one and make an appointment to visit it before hand. Not all kennels will take on a dog for that long a time.

It could cost between 12 and 21 a night but being so long perhaps a kennel could knock it down to half that but you'll need to phone around a few places for prices and see what people can offer, more expensive kennels doesn't mean better care though it all depends on the people running it.

Also have a neighbour or friend to visit the dog in kennels perhaps every week or two to make sure the dog is happy you might notice the dogs behaviour or toilet habits change when you bring the dog home so you might have to start at square one again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 yoko

Inexile wrote: »
    I dont know what you meant by a "dog pannel" did you mean dog kennel?

Did you know you were going to be away for so long before you got the dog? 3 months is a long time to be away from a young dog, any dog in fact. but what is done is done

Boarding kennels will cost anything from about €10 to €25 per day and a home sitter will probably cost about the same. You might get a better rate as it would be for a long period. Would a relative or friend mind the dog for you in their home?

Yes, sorry, I meant Kennel.
    I didn't know I would go away so long when I got the dog. My friend gave him to us when he was 3 months old. Now we have had him for about a year.
    I know it's a long time. It's not realy a holiday. But I'm from China and I need to go home for a while.
    I would like to find a friend who loves dog and can look after him. Dog Kennel will be my last option.
    Thanks for the advice anyway.

Advertisement