Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Zyxel router

• 04-10-2009 9:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

I changed from BT to Vodafone and I am now using the Zyxel wireless router supplied by Vodafone. The problem is that its dropping the internet connection regularly and when i use the non wireless Voyager from BT the connection is ok. This is the second router I have got from Vodafone in a week and both are acting up the same. Does anyone else have issues with this router from Vodafone. I want wireless but if I buy my own router they won't support any problems.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭jayflame

Hi

The zyxel routers that I have dealt with have a default connection of "On Demand".
    You need to change this or the connection will go into a "Standby" mode the modem will wait for you to prompt it to connect when you open a browser. It will then logon and try & load a page, in the mean time, your browser may time out.

Change the connection type to "Nailed Up", otherwise known as Always On.

refer to your routers user guide for how to do this or check on the Zyxel website for the userguide.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

There is something about it in this document, Page 78

http://www.zyxel.co.uk/upload/doc/P660HW%20User%20Guide.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Hi guys, i am having the same problem with my zyxel, thanks for the solution.

one problem however: it seems vodafone in their infinite wisdom have done something to the zyxels to prevent you from configuring them! for me there is no drop down menu on the left hand side under P-660HW-T1 v2, so i can do nothing!!!

anyone else having this problem and found a solution??

Hi guys, i am having the same problem with my zyxel, thanks for the solution.

one problem however: it seems vodafone in their infinite wisdom have done something to the zyxels to prevent you from configuring them! for me there is no drop down menu on the left hand side under P-660HW-T1 v2, so i can do nothing!!!

anyone else having this problem and found a solution??

The Zyxel has a login which is usually 1234.
    when you enter 192.168.1.1 into the browsers address bar, it will ask you to log in, delete the 4 dots and enter 1234. If you do not type 1234 and just click login, login will fail and you will not access the administrative side of the modem.

The 4 dots are a "trick" password which does not work;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

jayflame wrote: »
    The Zyxel has a login which is usually 1234.
    when you enter 192.168.1.1 into the browsers address bar, it will ask you to log in, delete the 4 dots and enter 1234. If you do not type 1234 and just click login, login will fail and you will not access the administrative side of the modem.

The 4 dots are a "trick" password which does not work;)

legend, thanks!

• Advertisement

legend, thanks!

I guess that worked.

Not sure if the modem you are using is similar to the modem I am used to, but from my experience with the routers, the wireless is unsecure.

Be sure to rename and secure the wireless connection.
    When selecting type of encryption "WPA2-PSK" is best.

Good luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Hi

The zyxel routers that I have dealt with have a default connection of "On Demand".
    You need to change this or the connection will go into a "Standby" mode the modem will wait for you to prompt it to connect when you open a browser. It will then logon and try & load a page, in the mean time, your browser may time out.

Change the connection type to "Nailed Up", otherwise known as Always On.

refer to your routers user guide for how to do this or check on the Zyxel website for the userguide.
    :)

I have the same modem and i had the same random disconnect problem with the wireless..i changed the connection setting to nailed up as you said: but what exaclty does having a nailed up connection do? apart from being always on of course-i found the user manual of the zyxel model a bit vague :confused:

I guess that worked.

Not sure if the modem you are using is similar to the modem I am used to, but from my experience with the routers, the wireless is unsecure.

Be sure to rename and secure the wireless connection.
    When selecting type of encryption "WPA2-PSK" is best.

Good luck:)

Anyone here have windows vista with this wireless zyxel model using WPA2 PSK? If so please feel free to PM me as ive been having some problems :(

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    I have the same modem and i had the same random disconnect problem with the wireless..i changed the connection setting to nailed up as you said: but what exaclty does having a nailed up connection do? apart from being always on of course-i found the user manual of the zyxel model a bit vague :confused:

Hi, if your wireless connection keeps dropping, try downloading and installing a programme called inSSIDer. It is free and safe. I use it on Windows 7 RC and it does what I need it to do.

You can test and monitor your modems wireless signal to see if it drops or if there is interferrence.
    If it drops, replace modem, if its interferrence, change the channel it is transmitting on to a better one. I have found channel 9 to be one of the best.

As with Vista disconnecting wireless or going "local only". Not going there!

If you don't feel happy about downloading a programme for this test, replace your modem, or get your ISP to, though some do charge for this privilage.

Nailed up is Always online, that's all.
    Good luck

Hi, if your wireless connection keeps dropping, try downloading and installing a programme called inSSIDer. It is free and safe. I use it on Windows 7 RC and it does what I need it to do.

You can test and monitor your modems wireless signal to see if it drops or if there is interferrence.
    If it drops, replace modem, if its interferrence, change the channel it is transmitting on to a better one. I have found channel 9 to be one of the best.

As with Vista disconnecting wireless or going "local only". Not going there!

If you don't feel happy about downloading a programme for this test, replace your modem, or get your ISP to, though some do charge for this privilage.

Nailed up is Always online, that's all.

Good luck

Can you please leave me a link for that SSIDer program-when i do google searches i cant find this program :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

I gave up phoning vodafone about problems with my dropping connection as I never got any joy from them. They never returned calls and constantly blamed eircom on the problem - which I didn't believe.

I was actually just on the point of changing provider yesterday and decided to give it one last shot.

I found this thread and another related one on vodafone.ie.

Why on earth did nobody in vodafone tell me about changing the password on the Zyxel router and nailing up the connection? Do they know nothing?

I'm stunned that something as simple as this which I, as a non-techie, could sort out, was never mentioned to me.

Also, for some irritating reason, the thread on the vodafone site is closed and I don't seem to be able to start a new one.

Perplexing.

europhile wrote: »
    Why on earth did nobody in vodafone tell me about changing the password on the Zyxel router and nailing up the connection? Do they know nothing?

I'm stunned that something as simple as this which I, as a non-techie, could sort out, was never mentioned to me.

Perplexing.

I had that problem too.
    It seems Vodafone outsource their Tech Support, the same as Eircom.
    Because of that, there is little knowledge passed around, poss due to internal competition (amongst staff), and the staff are probably not paid enough to care that much.
    Whilst at Eircom, I was under pressure to keep call times low, whether it resolved the issue or not.
    No call backs allowed, without permission from manager!!

Vodafone agents, sorry, but there does not appear to be enough experience amongst you for the average to be of an acceptable level.

Vodafone are getting far too many complaints, but this is still early days.

Happy with my service, but then, I am a Techie

Any queries, ask away;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Is it the same router eircom are giving out? Its a bloody nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Same problem here. I've had enough - I'm cancelling

nuxxx wrote: »
    Is it the same router eircom are giving out? Its a bloody nightmare

Couldn't tell to be honest.
    Eircom may have changed their routers to a Zyxel recently.
    If they have, ideally, they should be on a "Nailed Up" connection, otherwise known as "Always On"

If you have a Netopia, grey/silver is the better one, blue is out of date, and the connection type needs to be "Always On"

Same problem here. I've had enough - I'm cancelling

Bit hasty there

Cancelling doesn't always resolve the issue, but pass it onto another provider who has to start the troubleshooting process all over again.
    Plus, they do not have the "history" of the issue.

My suggestion, let Vodafone fix the issue, then cancel.
    If the issue is found to be, not of your doing, then you may be intitled to compensation.
    Otherwise, you risk paying another provider to go through the whole lot, costing you time and money.

That's my opinion, choice is yours;)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Bit hasty there

Cancelling doesn't always resolve the issue, but pass it onto another provider who has to start the troubleshooting process all over again.
    Plus, they do not have the "history" of the issue.

My suggestion, let Vodafone fix the issue, then cancel.
    If the issue is found to be, not of your doing, then you may be intitled to compensation.
    Otherwise, you risk paying another provider to go through the whole lot, costing you time and money.

That's my opinion, choice is yours;)

Mate - this has been going on for ages and I've gone through loads of stuff with their support. Every time I try to do something on the internet it disconnects and when I look at the web interface - Training... Handshaking... Aagh!! :(

I'm changing to UPC - they will have a different connection to the house and so it wont be passing the issue

Advertisement