Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Praise where it's due

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Progress :confused: Wasn't that what the Soviets had? :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Would you mind explaining to me what progress exactly? Thanks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's in the statement ezri - instead of a very restricted list ('scuse the pun), the list includes the most commonly used pistols around. And noone had to step into a courtroom for that. And the list itself is merely a guideline, as opposed to a law. So adjusting it is easy and if there's a case where a pistol's not on the list but covered by the SI, there's no problem.

So its solely in relation to .22 pistol purchasing, ownership and usage. I thought it was a broad statement about the entire shooting community (.22 rifles, shotgun shooting, centrefire rifles, centrefire pistols etc.) Thanks for the clarification.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

ezridax wrote: »
    So its solely in relation to .22 pistol purchasing, ownership and usage.

No
    ezridax wrote: »
    I thought it was a broad statement about the entire shooting community (.22 rifles, shotgun shooting, centrefire rifles, centrefire pistols etc.) Thanks for the clarification.

It is

• Advertisement

Firstly i'm not arguing for the sake of arguement. Its not what i'm about. I just don't understand how (apart from a few aspects of the sporting/shooting communities, or the revamp of an aging system), there are "steps forward/progress".

Pistol (centrefire) shooting has been banned or restricted to such an extent that the actual practice of the sport has become near impossible. Nothing was done to prevent it. "its not law yet so we cannot take legal action" was a comment i remember hearing/reading. Now its law there is still no action being taken to challenge it.

Shotguns and rifles that look a certain way are classified as dangerous for no other legal reason other than looks. Again unchallenged.

The commisioners guidelines while having no legal stance, will be implimented by Gardai on the "frontline" as though they were. The powers of the Gardai to request/demand more and more details, security "good reasons" has increased to such an extent that many sportmen/shooters are leaving the sport or surrendering all or some of their firearms. From the threads and posts i've read here from some of the lads it would seem while the system is undergoing upgrading the attitudes of some Gardai are still quite anti-firearm be it through dislike or ignorance.

The statement refers to "concerns being addressed" but from all i've heard and read those concerns have been largely ignored or simply disregarded. (Thats my opinion only).

While i appreciate the statement's intention is to thank and pay tribute to those that have argued the corner of the shooting community (as they should be thanked) i just simply cannot understand how some may think that things are progressing well and improving on a whole. As mentioned at the start some aspects of the shooting community have been affected very little by the changes others though have been almost wiped out. The statement to me seems to cover the .22 pistol aspect of sports shooting only hence my previous post;
    So its solely in relation to .22 pistol purchasing, ownership and usage

I would like again to say that i am not arguing just to argue, but as this is a talking/debating forum i felt i would voice my opinons on the subject. I have said on other threads/posts that i am no expert on the different shooting bodies nor do i fully understand the inner workings of them. I also do not claim to be an expert on the ins and outs of the CJ(MP)A or SIs or the guidelines. I familiarise myself with as much information as i need to keep abreast of the latest goings on but not to such a point where i start to pontificate to others (i hope). I do not write this to antagonise or offend people and if i'm wrong please point out my mistakes.

The time for complaining is over :rolleyes:

We, as in the shooting community as a whole, have been lucky to get/keep what we have.

Were you directly involved in the neogations?

If you weren't, why weren't you?

Those that were, deserve some modicum of thanks from the rest of us who mainly shouted from the sidelines.

I am not happy about the situation BUT it could have been a LOT worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

It's a sh1te situation - no point dressing mutton as lamb.

Forgetting about all the zombie licenses out there which we hope will be gone and take the pressure off - the vast majority of pistols shooters are severely restricted in their ability to pursue their chosen sports.

Those that were lucky enough to have purchased firearms suited to the different centrefire disciplines before the hammer fell are the lucky ones whereas those of us who didn't have to make do with the same firearm in a range of disciplines where others with, for example, a revolver Vs. my SA will always win.

The 'Keep what you have argument' was always a load of bo-lax in my view. A soft cop out - head in the sand approach.

However, the 'leaked' un-restricted list of .22 pistols which was posted here was an even worse disgrace and those that met in the taproom of the brazen head or wherever these meetings take place and got the .22 pistols that people actually have and use added to the list did a good job of it. It shows that the 'list' can be amended where reasoned argument is made.

I, for one, await the day the bould Dermot is out on his h0le (along with those who licked it) so the centrefire sports can be 'un-restricted' again.

B'Man

Time to quit complaining and get on with what we can do and what we can have, surely ?

With the caveat of it being open to expand on what we have and try to undo the obviously broken stuff in the future, maybe...

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    With the caveat of it being open to expand on what we have and try to undo the obviously broken stuff in the future, maybe...

Look what happened to Michael Collins when he tried to sell that concept :eek:

A general Election is likely sooner rather than later then it's time to canvass our support as a community to a party that will "undo the obviously broken stuff" ;)

Look what happened to Michael Collins when he tried to sell that concept :eek:
    Yeah, the poor sod never even got to walk on the moon, just had to stare at it and pretend he was important :(
    A general Election is likely sooner rather than later then it's time to canvass our support as a community to a party that will "undo the obviously broken stuff" ;)
    Good luck finding one that'll keep an election promise, mind you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Good luck finding one that'll keep an election promise

I'll be happy with one that listens.

B'Man

The time for complaining is over :rolleyes:

No its not. We have a God given right to complain. If it falls on deaf ears, then so be it. With enough compaining you get action, with enough action you get change. (Hopefully)
    We, as in the shooting community as a whole, have been lucky to get/keep what we have.

We shouldn't be viewing it as lucky to keep what we have rather unlucky to have been so harshly treated. Unlucky that the authorities do not acknowledge the shooting community enough to deem our word, views, thoughts as valid or worthy of debate.
    Were you directly involved in the neogations?

If you weren't, why weren't you?

I do not want this to become a mud slinging affair, so i refuse to be drawn into a row on this point.
    Those that were, deserve some modicum of thanks from the rest of us who mainly shouted from the sidelines.

I did give credit where credit is due;
    Originally Posted by ezridax

.....the statement's intention is to thank and pay tribute to those that have argued the corner of the shooting community (as they should be thanked).....
    A general Election is likely sooner rather than later.................

I would love to see this but, the opposition has the luxury of saying how unfairly the shooting community has been treated. When/if they get into power it'll be a different story.

You seem to be taking what i said as a personal attack on your character. This was and is not the case. The fact that you have chosen it to be so is completely on you. I am upset at the way shooters as a whole have been shafted by all the procedures over the last few months. Some have lost more than others and if you cannot see this then i can't explain it any more. I know 2 members of the FCP and they admit themselves that we got screwed. Inter (shooting) body co-operation would not seem to be as tight as would have been hoped otherwise it would have been one unified voice challenging every aspect that affected every discipline of the sport. In secret (or anyway you want to phrase it) the communities that were not affected too much must be breathing a sigh of relief. I know i would. Its human nature.

It can be said that eveything possible that could be done was done (and i have no reason to believe otherwise) but this just reconfirms my previous thought that even though points may have been screamed fom the rooftops it was ignored by Ahern and co.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

johngalway wrote: »
    Progress :confused: Wasn't that what the Soviets had? :D

I think your confusing that with Perestroika:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hezz700 wrote: »
    I think your confusing that with Perestroika:D

You are indeed correct :D

Must research better ;)

Advertisement