Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it ok to eat meat passed its use by date?

Options
  • 04-10-2009 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Specifically beef or salmon?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

If it smells and looks okay, it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Oriental Doll

If it looks and smells fine it will be okay. Just to make sure it's well cooked but not rare or medium cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

If it's minced beef, or chopped up, chuck it out. If it's in steak form, check it all over for any off-colour bits or yellow rather than creamy coloured fat. You can't neccessarily smell "gone-off" meat, depends on the type of bacteria. Also, if it's in supermarket plastic packaging, press the film on the top. If it's hard rather than firm (no bounce), out it goes. Used to be a butcher, hth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Why risk it? I know its hard times and all but its your health! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Most "use-by" dates err on the safe side - the last thing food producers want is claims against them, so even though they know that a perfectly safe use-by date is on, say the 5th, they will mark it on the label as the 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

foods like cereal , crackers , crisps ,sweets, chocolate are all fine after a few days

but yoghurt , milk , bread , meat and fish would be dangerous to eat with the bacteria growth and all.
    Think about it , if we could all smell if food was gone off then then there would be no cases of food poisoning but oh wait......

If in doubt, throw it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Kenno90 wrote: »
    foods like cereal , crackers , crisps ,sweets, chocolate are all fine after a few days

If you go by the "use-by" date... all the above will last longer than a week or two beyond that, at least - chocolate, even longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If it's minced beef, or chopped up, chuck it out. If it's in steak form, check it all over for any off-colour bits or yellow rather than creamy coloured fat. You can't neccessarily smell "gone-off" meat, depends on the type of bacteria. Also, if it's in supermarket plastic packaging, press the film on the top. If it's hard rather than firm (no bounce), out it goes. Used to be a butcher, hth!

I think above is the most sensible advice here.

I find that a steak will often be better a few days after its use by date.
    It will dry out a little and improve in flavour, I reckon, if stored in the fridge and not in plastic and with room for air to circulate.

strangely, if a piece of meat is a little drier before it is cooked, it will loose less moisture during cooking giving a moister cooked piece of meat.

I will often buy a large piece of sirloin when it is on offer in Supervalue and keep it on a plate sitting on some chopsticks in the fridge for maybe 4 days. Then I cut it into thick steaks and freeze it.
    Not the finest steaks in the world but cheap and pretty damn tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Great username considering the question!

Advertisement