Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 dogs better than 1 ???

Options
  • 04-10-2009 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Hi i'm considering getting another gsd but still undecided , so my question is are two dogs better than 1 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Definitely! 100%

I couldn't be more positive. It's more company for them and more fun for you :D

The only thing better than 2 dogs is 3!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yes, its better for you and your dog!.

You'll love having two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Depends on the dog if your dog likes other pooches and you rekon there wouldn't be too much jealousy etc. then grand. The second pooch would be a playmate and company. However lots of people think getting a second or third dog means that when they are out for long hours at work it's a substitute for human company when in fact both dogs will want their owner more than each other usually and you end up with double the work and double the vets bills etc.

All in all though if you have the time and money etc. for double the work and walkies etc. then go for it it's lovely to see dogs playing together or snuggling up together etc.

I have 3 now but their personalities are very different although the two older ones used to snuggle up now and then they aren't really that bothered they don't play together very much and do their own thing the pup wants to be friends with everyone but they're older and not that bothered with him although they are warming to him slowly.

All three aren't bothered if one dog goes off and does something else as long as I'm there they're happiest.

Two isn't too bad though with walks and fitting them in the car etc. practical things like extra food and vet bills insurance and fitting dogs into cars are things to consider when getting another pooch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

The responses are positive , which is good , vet bills , insurance , 2 dogs in the one car no problem- my back will be wrecked with 2 dogs ...the wife wont be happy, i was going to wait a year but a pup has come up and i have the chance to get it, the father mated to same bitch again and this would be my only chance to get this type of pup with this type of pedigree.

I 'm sure after hearing the responses the 2 will get along really well after a while , only thing now is to try and keep the wife happy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭carrigeen

next question

we have a female cavalier king charles, want to get another dog to keep her company , does it matter if male or female (or is there a preferance)

btw she is spayed already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Shammy wrote: »
    Hi i'm considering getting another gsd but still undecided , so my question is are two dogs better than 1 ?

I would definately recommend getting two dogs, it is of course double the work and costs but also double rewards, who wouldn't want an extra wagging tail greeting you when you come home!!!:D Just look at these happy faces!

Ben & Brook 04.10.09.JPG

Cleo, Brook & Ben 04.10.09.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

carrigeen wrote: »
    next question

we have a female cavalier king charles, want to get another dog to keep her company , does it matter if male or female (or is there a preferance)

I don't think it matters. I have three of different crossbreeds, all female, who are like sisters. A friend of mine has two of different breeds, one female one male, who also get on splendidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

carrigeen wrote: »
    next question

I have 3 dogs, 2 girls, 1 boy. The boy is neutered, the girls will be in Jan, all get alone fine as I am the boss, I think this is very important more so with multiple dogs, without good leadership the dogs will fight for this positon among themselves.

Wife has decided that she doesnt want another dog......i'm so gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

lrushe wrote: »
    I would definately recommend getting two dogs, it is of course double the work and costs but also double rewards, who wouldn't want an extra wagging tail greeting you when you come home!!!:D Just look at these happy faces!

Ben & Brook 04.10.09.JPG

Cleo, Brook & Ben 04.10.09.JPG

Gah...they are so cute!!

Shammy.....sorry to read that you wish has not been granted :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Shammy, I share your hurt, my wife put her foot down as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

Will she still say now if you brought home a puppy? Us women are suckers for puppies! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

LEAVE HER! :D

dont know what to do....... cant bring home the pup out of the blue did that trick years ago , and although it worked she said never again.

The kids are giving her a hard time so hopefully she'll come round , the pup wont be ready for another 4/5 weeks so i have time on my side.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

dont know what to do....... cant bring home the pup out of the blue......the pup wont be ready for another 4/5 weeks so i have time on my side.

Photos...lots of photos!! Leave them around the house...perhaps even get one blown up and stick it up in a prominant position in the house!

Or when driving somewhere with her take a little (pre-organised but secret) diversion and arrive at the puppies house so she can see/hold the little fella!!!

(ps I'm am so not responsible if she divorces you after this!!! :D )

dont know what to do....... cant bring home the pup out of the blue did that trick years ago , and although it worked she said never again.

The kids are giving her a hard time so hopefully she'll come round , the pup wont be ready for another 4/5 weeks so i have time on my side.

I think I speak for most people when I say the following.
    - After a booze session we always say 'I am never drinking again'..... we go to the pub the following weekend without fail.
    - After the first Child ' This will be an only child' .......... then arrives baby number 5
    - 'I am starting a diet next week' it is never this week and it certainly in most cases doesn't start next week.
    - 'NEVER AGAIN AM I GOING THROUGH THIS WITH A PUPPY!' ...... Puppy number 2 arrives and she is the one that will have it at the end of the bed.

Ask the breeder can you bring the puppy home and see what she makes of it and if she is adament you can always bring it back the next day to the breeder if she still has her foot down about it.

wexford202 wrote: »
    I think I speak for most people when I say the following.
    - After a booze session we always say 'I am never drinking again'..... we go to the pub the following weekend without fail.
    - After the first Child ' This will be an only child' .......... then arrives baby number 5
    - 'I am starting a diet next week' it is never this week and it certainly in most cases doesn't start next week.
    - 'NEVER AGAIN AM I GOING THROUGH THIS WITH A PUPPY!' ...... Puppy number 2 arrives and she is the one that will have it at the end of the bed.

Ask the breeder can you bring the puppy home and see what she makes of it and if she is adament you can always bring it back the next day to the breeder if she still has her foot down about it.

Thats a good idea i suppose i mean she cant tell me to bring it back......
    I must show her these forums and that most people think 2 dogs are better to have than one ;)

giddybootz wrote: »
    Photos...lots of photos!! Leave them around the house...perhaps even get one blown up and stick it up in a prominant position in the house!

Or when driving somewhere with her take a little (pre-organised but secret) diversion and arrive at the puppies house so she can see/hold the little fella!!!

(ps I'm am so not responsible if she divorces you after this!!! :D )

Ha ha , their on a website and all she says is "lovely and NO"

Thats a good idea i suppose i mean she cant tell me to bring it back......
    I must show her these forums and that most people think 2 dogs are better to have than one ;)

She can tell you to bring it back but she won't.

You won't need to show her anything other than the fluffy little puppy. That will be enough. Bring it home when she is out and have the kids etc falling in love with it by the time she comes home. Make sure the dog you already have is after falling in love with it before she is there too.

Say nothing and wait for her to spot it.

wexford202 wrote: »
    She can tell you to bring it back but she won't.

You won't need to show her anything other than the fluffy little puppy. That will be enough. Bring it home when she is out and have the kids etc falling in love with it by the time she comes home. Make sure the dog you already have is after falling in love with it before she is there too.

Say nothing and wait for her to spot it.

Ha ha i dont know i'm getting nervous thinking about it

• Advertisement

How can she possibly say no to this little fellow ?

051.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭csully397

yes definately two dogs and you will never regret it ive two westhighland males the most territorial animals alive and in the beginning the elder of the two had no time for the new pup but as time went on they became best of pals and are now impossible to separate all they do is chase eachother and wrestle all day,can be quite amusing..

so by all means if you have the time to spend with them then go for it...

051.jpg

Oh my God!!!!!! It is the curest thing ever!

Unless you are married to the ice queen it will be kept for sure.

It is like a giant teddy bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

cute as he is, he will grow, pee, cr*p, chew, chase, pull, dig, howl, puke, destroy, shed, run, refuse, ignore, nip, bark, whinge, whine, etc like a biggun soon enough.

If you're wife is the one that ends up spending most of the time with him and enduring the lions share of all of the above, she has every right to say no and to stick to her guns.

peasant wrote: »
    cute as he is, he will grow, pee, cr*p, chew, chase, pull, dig, howl, puke, destroy, shed, run, refuse, ignore, nip, bark, whinge, whine, etc like a biggun soon enough.

If you're wife is the one that ends up spending most of the time with him and enduring the lions share of all of the above, she has every right to say no and to stick to her guns.

Yes she does have every right to say no.

I am oe of those never again people but I would only have to pick the ball of fluff up and I would forget about all the hardship endured the first time around.

Out Vote her with the kids either

Leaving aside inter-family issues that may arise out of coaxing mammy into having another dog ....it is also not in the interest of the dog to be primarily cared for and trained by somebody who didn't want it in the first place and may therefore resent it.

Do not get a(nother) dog unless everybody knows what's involved and is willing and prepared to do the work for the next 10 -15 years.

peasant wrote: »
    Leaving aside inter-family issues that may arise out of coaxing mammy into having another dog ....it is also not in the interest of the dog to be primarily cared for and trained by somebody who didn't want it in the first place and may therefore resent it.

Do not get a(nother) dog unless everybody knows what's involved and is willing and prepared to do the work for the next 10 -15 years.

Now peasant we've had our disagreement about dogs and the way they should be trained so try not to spoil this thread eh ?

Of course it will me that picks up the **** walks the dogs trains the dogs cares for the dogs , my missus likes what we have at the moment , dog up on the couch watching tv with her, and she cant imagine having two of them up there with her.

that's different then ...I was under the impression that your wife was at home more than you which would make her the (as they call it these days) "primary care giver" :D

nope with the pup we have at the moment , my wife likes her to come in in the eveing and watch tv with her and sleeps up in the room, maybe feeds her in the morning if i'm not there, other than that its all my and my kids that train and play.

• Advertisement
Advertisement