Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build, can't install driver disk

Options
  • 04-10-2009 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hi,

Just upgraded my old system with an Athlon X4, MSI 770 MB, DDR3 ram and a 4550 card.

Using the old HD, PSU and DVD drive.

The build powers on fine, recognises both the DVD and HD but will not boot from the driver DVD.

The MSI logo screen appears and you can check/change the BIOS settings but I cant get further.

I've tried changing the DVD drive from master/slave/CS, same with HD. BTW both are connected on the IDE untill my new SATA drive arrives.

I've checked the disk in my laptop, reads ok. I tried a windows boot disk in the new build but it won't boot from that either.

Does it sound like the DVD drive or am I missing something. ???/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Have you the DVD drive and the HDD on the same IDE ribbon cable or seperate ones? Thats an odd situation alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭(CH3)2CHOH

Yep, they're on the same ribbon cause the MB only has 1 IDE port. Not ideal but it should work for now, Shouldn't it ???

BTW I've tried removing the Hard drive and just booting from the DVD, still no luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Are you sure the driver cd/dvd is bootable? They usually aren't. Have you tried booting from a windows disk? (You have selected optical drive as bootable in the bios, haven't you?)

The manual says the DVD is bootable and I've tried an XP boot disk. No joy with either.

The manual says to change the Bios so the DVD drive is the first bootable, done.

Then reset PC with Driver disk in drive and it should boot from there.

Ok. Tried a new DVD drive and the situation is the same. Roughly

It now tries to boot from the XP disc but just resets after about 10 seconds.
    Still nothing with the MSI driver disc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Marcface

I don't mean to point out the obvious.. but there is actually a BIOS setting to enable Boot from Disk Drive or something along those lines, have you enabled it?

Marcface wrote: »
    I don't mean to point out the obvious.. but there is actually a BIOS setting to enable Boot from Disk Drive or something along those lines, have you enabled it?

Thats ok, obvious is good.

But yes, it is enabled.

OK its sorted now.

New XP boot disk solved the problem and I updated the bios using a USB drive first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Good job, that was a strange one, especially with the restart also, probably fixed with the bios update.

Advertisement