Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD EU Fees for non-EU

Options
  • 04-10-2009 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I am a non-EU national living in dublin for the last 4 years. I am unemployd, but my wife is working and paying the tax. I have PPS number. Am I eligible for EU fees if I submit P 21?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

See http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/eu_fees.htm which says EU fees are available to:
    Non-EU Nationals who have been tax resident in an EU member state for at least 3 of the past 5 years.
    but note:
    Any period of residence on the basis of a student visa is not included in the assessment of years of residence.
    So, EU fees are available if you (or your parents if you're under 23) have been "resident for tax purposes" (which can include unemployment), but time spent on a student visa does not count. They say they want P-21, Social Welfare docs or other visa as proof of residence.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 akana

Seen this in DIT's website.. May be applicable for you too.
    c) EU FEES - RESIDENCY

(i) Residency Test

An applicant’s principal residence for the purpose of taxation must have been in a European Union Member State for a minimum of 3 of the 5 years prior to entry to university. Prior residence as a full-time student alone does not qualify a student for EU fee rates.
    If an applicant is under 23 years of age on the start date of the course then the principal residence for the purpose of taxation of the parents will be examined.
    If an applicant is over 23 years of age on the start date of the course then the principal residence for the purpose of taxation of the applicant is examined.
    A P21 form will be required in both instances.

AND

(ii) Previous Work/Studies Test

An applicant must have spent 3 of the last 5 years in full time study or work in an EU member state prior to the commencement of the course. Students classified for fee purposes as non-EU will not be permitted to change their fee status following admission.

This full time study/work requirement will be deemed satisfied in the case of an applicant for whom a spouse is claiming a tax benefit which must be confirmed by a P21 form or evidence of social welfare benefits.

http://ww2.dkit.ie/student_life/admissions/undergraduates/first_year_admissions/non_standard_applicants/fee_assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

You'll need to present P21 forms for each of the 3 out of the 5 last years.
    I also had to bring a letter from my previous school confirming that I've been here for the last 5 years.
    UCD Fees wrote:
    To assess Residency:
    (a) For applicants aged under 23 on 1st September of year of commencement:

* Letter from school confirming attendance for a minimum of three of the five years prior to commencement, or other proof of residence as stipulated by the University, and
    * P21 tax certificates and/or Social Welfare documentation for parent(s) of applicant must be submitted for each year of residence with other proof of residence as required, and
    * GNIB card

(b) For applicants aged 23 or over on 1st September of year of entry:

* P21 tax certificates and/or Social Welfare documentation for applicant must be submitted for each year of residence (minimum three years) with other proof of residence as required.
    * For non-EU applicants, work or residence visa for three of the five years prior to commencement must be submitted, and
    * GNIB card

Advertisement