If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is better the Philips 42 PES001D or the 42 FL9664???

• 04-10-2009 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

We are building at the mo and I am trying to decide on what tv system I want installed to complement my Bose speakers, my Harman Kardon amp etc.

The Philiips PES001D is very appealing unit with only one cable needing to be buried in the wall. Moreover, it's easily hung and hugs the wall like a picture frame. All around it appears to be a very neat and well-thought out system. My only concern is whether the picture quality is a good as/comparable to the Philips9664??.

If I go for the 9664 I know the quality of picture is excellent but the thoughts of having so may cables, even though using an amp will reduce what might be, buried in the wall is off-putting to say the least.

I don't think it's possible to have the 9664 hug the wall either because of the Ambilight. I was thinking initially of recessing the Vogel PFW5000 bracket (as suggested by Philips) about 1/1.5cm into the blockwork that would give the tv a wall clearance of 2/2.5cm. Any views?????

If I were to recess the blockwork would anyone be able to advise as to the distance in mm from the top, bottom, left and right of the tv to the tv connectors for the bracket. If I knew this I would be able to make provision for the tv to sit perfectly on the perfectly positioned bracket in the perfectly positioned recess. That said, is it worth the hassle bearing in mind the Vogel bracket allows a 3.5cm clearance without the recess. Jaysus I sound anal....but I want it done right because at the end of the day it's a focal point in the room.

There's alot there but any help would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance

Wilothewisp

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Wilothewisp.

The simple answer is while the 42PES0001 was an excellent TV (Now discontinued) the 42PFL9664 is a superior TV in most regards.
    It has a better panel with faster response time and contrast ratio(80000:1 compared to 66000:1) 200Hz refresh rate. It handles motion with greater fluidity and control.

You probably have seen the spec but just in case.....
    www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl9664h_12/42pfl9664h_12_pss_eng.pdf

Its not just as thin as the Essence TV but not too far off it. This is our slimest TV at the moment.

One of the benefits of the Essence TV as far as wall mounting is concerned was the seperate media box and one cable connecting between both items - certainly a neat solution.

Of course if you are using a decent AV amp most now offer video switching which will cut down on the amount of cables running to the TV dramatically - in some cases down to a single HDMI cable (depending on what you are feeding it with) so that will go some way to reducing the cable runs to be embedded into a wall.
    I'd say if your tracking two cables into a wall a couple of extra ones shouldn't be to much trouble........

Ambilight will look great when the TV is wall mounted - our display 42PFL9664 is wall mounted and it looks excellent especially when its in a darkened room - will be very effective.

I'd say you'd want to make provision to allow at least 4cm around the back to allow for the cables to plug into the TV. They protrude straight from the back of the set. If you can call into the shop I can show you the location of the connections on the back of the TV, this will give you an idea of the space you'll need - you may be able to channel out a section on your wall behind the TV to allow for the cables if you want it really flush with the wall.

Do allow space around the 4 sides of the TV for air to circulate. The instructions mention at least 10cm - also from a practical point of view - you need space to beable physically be able to mount TV to the wall mounting!

I think that covers everything, I'm not familiar with the bracket you mention but we do have a range of slim mounts in store including the new Philips easy leveling bracket, call in and have a loo eh?

To sum up....The 42PFL9664H is a fantastic TV which will give you years of viewing pleasure, oh and it has a 5 year warranty at the moment.

Hope this is of help

atb
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 33 wilothewisp

Hi Ash,

I really appreciate the time taken to give me a most considered view. However, as I am at a distinct geographical disadvantage to Dublin I am not in a position to call in at this time. I really wish I could it would make things so much easier. That said, price and a reputation for superbe customer service will undoubtedly mean that I will be purchasing from you albeit over the phone. Meantime, I still need to draw on a little more of your help and patience.

While I have the dimensions of the TV I need to know the distance from the four sides to the CONNECTOR area. THIS WILL ALLOW ME POSITION AND MAKE THE NECESSARY RECESS (SIZE AND DEPTH) in the blockwork so that the unit sits as close to the wall as I can realistically get it. Once I have that I can do the rest myself.

Wilo

I really would like your help on this one.
    Hi Wilothewisp.

The simple answer is while the 42PES0001 was an excellent TV (Now discontinued) the 42PFL9664 is a superior TV in most regards.
    It has a better panel with faster response time and contrast ratio(80000:1 compared to 66000:1) 200Hz refresh rate. It handles motion with greater fluidity and control.

You probably have seen the spec but just in case.....
    www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl9664h_12/42pfl9664h_12_pss_eng.pdf

Its not just as thin as the Essence TV but not too far off it. This is our slimest TV at the moment.

One of the benefits of the Essence TV as far as wall mounting is concerned was the seperate media box and one cable connecting between both items - certainly a neat solution.

Of course if you are using a decent AV amp most now offer video switching which will cut down on the amount of cables running to the TV dramatically - in some cases down to a single HDMI cable (depending on what you are feeding it with) so that will go some way to reducing the cable runs to be embedded into a wall.
    I'd say if your tracking two cables into a wall a couple of extra ones shouldn't be to much trouble........

Ambilight will look great when the TV is wall mounted - our display 42PFL9664 is wall mounted and it looks excellent especially when its in a darkened room - will be very effective.

I'd say you'd want to make provision to allow at least 4cm around the back to allow for the cables to plug into the TV. They protrude straight from the back of the set. If you can call into the shop I can show you the location of the connections on the back of the TV, this will give you an idea of the space you'll need - you may be able to channel out a section on your wall behind the TV to allow for the cables if you want it really flush with the wall.

Do allow space around the 4 sides of the TV for air to circulate. The instructions mention at least 10cm - also from a practical point of view - you need space to beable physically be able to mount TV to the wall mounting!

I think that covers everything, I'm not familiar with the bracket you mention but we do have a range of slim mounts in store including the new Philips easy leveling bracket, call in and have a loo eh?

To sum up....The 42PFL9664H is a fantastic TV which will give you years of viewing pleasure, oh and it has a 5 year warranty at the moment.

Hope this is of help

atb
    Ash

• Company Representative Posts: 9,469 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Guys,

just one bit of advice - the rear mounted HDMI sockets do mean that yuo have to allow a decent distance from the wall for the 9664 (which is a really thin TV!) however these http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/hdhd-ra90/gender-changer-hdmi-m-f-90-degree/dp/CS16462?Ntt=hdmi90degree really do reduce the required front/rear distance required and they make mounting much easier.

Many people purchasing Ambilight sets do like to recess the unit into the studwork, which I know is more work, however it does look much sexier and enhances the Ambilight effect - however I would always advise that you leave a decent gap around each side to 'show off' the ambi effect, to allow for a replacement TV and to allow you to easily hang and centre the TV - my advice would be to allow at least 10 cm on each side.

Thanks again and if you need any exact measurements - even if you are not purchasing from us - just drop us a line and we will do our best to assist.

Thanks again,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Wilo

Ok we just whipped ours of the wall - gez it weighs next to nothing!

ok, I'll try and describe this as best I can - I can fax you my drawing of it if you like...

The connections are located to the bottom center of the TV.
    They are recessed approx 5mm
    All these connections exit at 90degrees from the back of the TV

This bay measures 26cm wide and is located 37cm from each side of the TV and 35 cm from top of the TV and 12cm from the bottom of the TV
    The bay extends to the botom of the set but most of the connections (SCART, VGA, HDMI, COMPONENT, RF etc) are located in the top 15 cm of this bay.

The SIDE AV inputs are located in a 20mm recess at the bottom of the above bay, these cables plug into the bottom of the bay and as such dont stick straight out the back of the set like the main connections.

the power cable is located to the left of these (looking at the back of the TV) and is in its own little recess and exits the TV at approx 45degrees

Does that make sense???

You can reach me on (01) 474 0788 if I can be of any help at all.

Cheers
    Ash

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.