Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carrera Vengeance Disc - opinions please.

• 04-10-2009 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

I've been lurking here for a few weeks, as I've been researching a new bike for nearly two months. I've learned a lot, and for that, I'm very grateful, and thanks everyone.

I'm looking for a bike, as I'm going to have some spare time on my hands, after 4 years of having only enough time to EAT and sleep! :D
    My weight has exploded to over the 100kg mark (stopped checking!), and I'm keen to get back on the bike, to try to halt the increase, and get some exercise.

I'd love a road bike, as I'm from the old school "racer" generation, but I've decided to go with a MTB for now. One, because I'm too chunky at the moment, and two because I've gotten into geocaching at the start of the summer, and I'd like to be able to go on some cycle trails when needed.

I have a Halfords store near me, and there isn't another bicycle store for over twenty miles, so I'm inclined to deal with them. I've been in a few times, and one of the guys that works there seems very knowledgable.

So, back to the bike: Carrera Vengeance Disc - 18"

The halfords guy, said there's a sale coming on this bike soon, and it may be dropped to €370. Is that good? I'm happy with the bike, I've taken it for a spin around the car park, and IMHumbleO, it seems great! I'd intend putting a set of mudguards on it, and a set of lights.

Even though I've heard some crazy stories about halfords, I'm kinda stuck for options, and I'd rather not buy something off the net, as I'm not familiar enough with bikes to be sure I'd have it setup correctly.

You guys are the communities experts on these things, so I'd appreciate your honest assessment of this.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

if the MTB route is for geo caching, then a cyclocross bike might be better...unlikely you'd be doing anything hairy enough to warrant an MTB looking for them? also would be usefull getting to the trails...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Cyclocross? Are these a bit like hybrids? Similiar to the Carrera Subway?
    Sorry for all the halfords bike references, but it's the only bike shop that's close to me.

You're right about not really needing a MTB for geocaching, it's simply trying to get a decent bike, easy to maintain, can carry my weight without any strain, and be comfortable on road or off.

A couple of geocaches I've been to are up mountain roads, forestry roads, and then across fields. Rules out a road bike again.

I think most road bikes are generally rated for 120kgs, including bike and gear, so I'm better to look at something fairly rugged. Right / wrong?
    If all goes well, I'd consider getting a different bike, purely for road use, next year.

Instead of a MTB is there a SUB (Sports Utility Bike)?

Do you think the vengeance is not suitable/good? Or do you know of something else that would suit better, in the same price range.

I know you guys get loads of "what should I get" questions - but sure ya'll love it really, don't ya! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Enduro

For 370 euro I'd say its a very good price for what is a very basic introductory mountainbike. There are LOTS of things that are low end, and could break after a while, but for that price its very good value for money. The fork is reasonable (especially for the price), and it has hydro disks (even if not the best), which is the key components ticked off.

IMHO a mountain bike would suit you well, as they are quite comfortable to ride, and give you the flexibilty to go anywhere with it. A cyclocross, whilst faster in some conditions, is a lot less flexible in terms of where you can go. An MTB is also built to take harder riding conditions, which,given your size, is again likely to suite you better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Great, I just ordered one of these! After cannibalizing my old Rockhopper hardtail to make an Xtracycle, I too had been looking out for a second hand bike to cut up the mountains with. When I saw the Carrera at that price, it was hard to resist, and your comments on the value for money tipped the balance.

Now I'll have a decent set of wheels to cycle the 40k to imra races: bound to win!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭sibyrne

You went from a specialized to a Carrera. DDDOOOOOOWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNN Grade!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

sibyrne wrote: »
    You went from a specialized to a Carrera. DDDOOOOOOWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNN Grade!!!!!!!!!

You dont know much about bikes do ya?

Point me to a specialized with hydraulic brakes and rock shox forks for e370:rolleyes:

Specialized are overpriced IMO. Carrera will be just as goo at the mid and entry level.

If youve a spesh S-works or something I suppose youve a point.

A rockhopper to a carrera is hardly a downgrade:rolleyes:

Unless your a bike snob of course....in that case it will result in depression and suicidal tendancies:D

OP...Thats a Super deal for a bike of that quality. Never seen such good value for a complete new model bike ever...including online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

sibyrne wrote: »

lol!:D I still have the Rockhopper: it now forms the front half of my Personal Utility Vehicle (Xtracycle). Great bike no doubt, I bought it second hand 15 years ago and its given me nothing but fun and great service.

But for the money (and I don't have a lot), the Carrera seems great value. I'll find out for sure in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭sibyrne

kona wrote: »
    You dont know much about bikes do ya?

Point me to a specialized with hydraulic brakes and rock shox forks for e370:rolleyes:

Specialized are overpriced IMO. Carrera will be just as goo at the mid and entry level.

If youve a spesh S-works or something I suppose youve a point.

A rockhopper to a carrera is hardly a downgrade:rolleyes:

Unless your a bike snob of course....in that case it will result in depression and suicidal tendancies:D

OP...Thats a Super deal for a bike of that quality. Never seen such good value for a complete new model bike ever...including online

A bike snob defo...

Ha true it is a good deal but I'm also Anti-Halfords.

Ha 370 is a great price and wont be beaten anywhere else.

FYI I ride a Spec S-Works Roubaix SL3 w/RED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 BIGBADMOFO

Bought one today in Halfords for €284!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

mrmac wrote: »
    c? Are these a bit like hybrids? Similiar to the Carrera Subway?

Think off road racer.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclo-cross

• Advertisement
Advertisement