Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anyone on Boards who voted "No" because of Abortion?

Options
  • 04-10-2009 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭

...Anyone?

I ask, because in every conversation on why Lisbon was run again, the issue of abortion is brought up as a reason why people voted "No" and that's why the referendum "had" to be held again and I find that it's brought up OVERWHELMINGLY by the "Yes" side.

Now, I've talked to a lot of people about Lisbon over the last year or so and I have yet to come across a single person who said they voted "No" because of abortion.

So, if there is anyone on Boards.ie who voted "No" against Lisbon on reasons of abortion, can you make a post please?

...and I'm not pointing fingers or anything, I am just genuinely interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Those idiotic enough to vote no because of fears of abortion might not be idiotic enough to admit it.

Besides, they probably don't know how to use a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

There were at least two polls done by respected international pollsters and abortion was one of the issues given. Personally I've always fully understood it to be a non-issue but I'm only speaking for myself. So to say the Yes side brought it up would be the Yes side bringing it up based on evidence that the Irish public were initially fooled into believed it was possible. No one that I've come across on the Yes side ever thought it was a real issue.
    Those idiotic enough to vote no because of fears of abortion might not be idiotic enough to admit it.

Besides, they probably don't know how to use a computer.

Well that covers it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

A friend asked me yesterday "Does that mean abortion is legal here now?". She voted yes anyway because she's not anti-abortion but she had a vague idea that it made it legal. It would be much more the older generation who would vote no for that reason

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

I voted yes because I thought I was guaranteed an abortion for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

OK, so we've had the usual "Yes" voter attempts to turn a thread into a slagging match.

So, I'll ask again.

Are there any "No" voters on here that voted "No" because of abortion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Pro-life/anti-abortion movement has always been fearful/paranoid that abortion would sneak in 'through the back door'. In many ways, it is not an unreasonable fear given the way in which abortion was introduced in the US via the constitutional right to (marital) privacy. In fact, it was the fear that abortion would be introudced here by such 'sneaky' means that led the pro-life movement to eventually assist in introducing the first pro-life amendment.

So, while their fears are unfounded (as far as I can see) vis-a-vis Lisbon, it is somehat understandable that they would be extra-cautious to avoid any changes that may have a chance, even a remote chance, of causing abortion to be legalised.

But. that's not the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I doubt it. No voters who actually bother to come on to a politics forum would (in general) have some clue whats in the treaty. Apart from the hit-and-run posts that is.

Tony EH wrote: »
    But. that's not the question.

No; but it is an answer of sorts. The thought processes of many pro-lifers make it inevitable that they would vote No on the vague chance that Lisbon might affect the status quo on abortion. The research done post-Lisbon simply confirms that logic.

You may find some, none or many people on here that confirm this also, but this site is not especially representative of the population so you cant really extrapolate much from a question asked here!

drkpower wrote: »
    No; but it is an answer of sorts. The thought processes of many pro-lifers make it inevitable that they would vote No on the vague chance that Lisbon might affect the status quo on abortion. The research done post-Lisbon simply confirms that logic.

You may find some, none or many people on here that confirm this also, but this site is not especially representative of the population so you cant really extrapolate much from a question asked here!

Nor, can I extrapolate much from the answer you've given. It suggests that there are huge numbers of pro-lifers in Ireland and I just don't see a case for that.

The problem is that this abortion nonsense is always trotted out by the "Yes" camp as a main reason why a "No" was delivered the last time. That would suggest that a significant number of "No" voters voted "No" because of that issue. That also suggests that because there are a significant number of "No" voters on boards, then there must be some who voted "No" because of that issue.

I have yet to see anyone, here or elsewhere say they voted "No" because of abortion and I am genuinely interested if there is anyone on here who did so.

Anyway the question still stands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    It would be much more the older generation who would vote no for that reason

Perhaps, but among that 'older generation' are some of the many women who travelled to England for abortions over the years. They also include the Pro Choice, who are being obviously ignored. They would possibly be more inclined to vote Yes. Feminism has been around for quite a while.

I doubt very much if people would want to admit here that they voted No because of the abortion issue after all the ridicule that has gone on.

Nor, can I extrapolate much from the answer you've given. It suggests that there are huge numbers of pro-lifers in Ireland and I just don't see a case for that.

The problem is that this abortion nonsense is always trotted out by the "Yes" camp as a main reason why a "No" was delivered the last time. That would suggest that a significant number of "No" voters voted "No" because of that issue. That also suggests that because there are a significant number of "No" voters on boards, then there must be some who voted "No" because of that issue.

I have yet to see anyone, here or elsewhere say they voted "No" because of abortion and I am genuinely interested if there is anyone on here who did so.

Anyway the question still stands.

There are huge numbers of pro-lifers in Ireland!! You are aware of a number of referendums we have on the subject since the 80s, yes....?!

And abortion is one of the reasons, perhaps not a main reason though.

You seem to think that ansers to this question on Boards, whatever they may be, will inform your position. That is very unlikely given the demographic of Boards. But that doesnt change the reality that there are hundreds of thousands of pro-lifers out there and a number of them, perhaps a small number, voted No because of abortion. It is logical and there is research to support the position.

The anecdotal evidence you have from talking to friends/colleagues and seing responses on this side shouldnt change that reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

...Anyone?

I ask, because in every conversation on why Lisbon was run again, the issue of abortion is brought up as a reason why people voted "No" and that's why the referendum "had" to be held again and I find that it's brought up OVERWHELMINGLY by the "Yes" side.

Now, I've talked to a lot of people about Lisbon over the last year or so and I have yet to come across a single person who said they voted "No" because of abortion.

So, if there is anyone on Boards.ie who voted "No" against Lisbon on reasons of abortion, can you make a post please?

...and I'm not pointing fingers or anything, I am just genuinely interested.

No, idnt vote no cause of abortion......or minimum wage or conscription or euthanasia or whatever else gets thrown up over the next few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The problem is that this abortion nonsense is always trotted out by the "Yes" camp as a main reason why a "No" was delivered the last time.

So in effect your asking did anyone vote to Lisbon 2 because of abortion, and not getting an answer, your then giving out that the yes side claimed abortion was a big deal in Lisbon 1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Is it brought up OVERWHELMINGLY by the yes side? Have you got links?

I'd say it was a factor to the same people that were affected by the €1.84 posters and the tank posters. Those posters probably did more harm than good this time around to the No side.

I'd say posting your question on Boards is the wrong forum or not going to get a proper result. If somebody knows enough about researching the Lisbon treaty to read up on forums like the EU threads on Boards then they're not going to be under any illusion about Lisbon allowing abortion.

A cursory glance across any of the relevant topics on here will show that the abortion issue is always brought up as a reason that a "No" vote was delivered.

In addition, if abortion was such an issue for "No" voters last year, why is I cannot find (then or now) a single person who vote no for that reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

The research conducted after Lisbon 1 suggests that abortion was only an issue for a small number of no voters. The biggest reason cited was lack of information /knowledge about the treaty contents. This would be in line with my own anecdotal experience also.

http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/flash/fl_245_en.pdf
    http://www.dfa.ie/uploads/documents/Publications/Post%20Lisbon%20Treaty%20Referendum%20Research%20Findings/5.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

According to the Táiniste yesterday evening, abortion was one of the prevalent reasons for voting no in both of the Donegal constituencies!

Quoting a status update from Facebook:

"Abortions for some, miniature European flags for others" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

A cursory glance across any of the relevant topics on here will show that the abortion issue is always brought up as a reason that a "No" vote was delivered.

In addition, if abortion was such an issue for "No" voters last year, why is I cannot find (then or now) a single person who vote no for that reason?

Because you didn't do a nationwide survey I suspect. No one ever said it was a majority issue, the figure was 6% iirc but it was still an issue. As others have said the biggest issue by far in all surveys was lack of information, which is of course not a reason to throw the treaty in the bin, it's a reason to give them more time to educate themselves, which is exactly what they did

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

Here's a no voter who believes Lisbon will bring abortion.
    eamo127
    Lies form the NO side? The yes side were wailing continuously that we would be economically ruined if we didn't vote yes. Some neck indeed. I look forward to the jobs we were promised as well as the first challenge by a foreigner to our abortion laws in the our now all powerful eu court. Remember, eu law supersedes Irish law so we won't have a say in the matter.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055699869&page=23

• Advertisement

Have you looked at every post from every Lisbon thread in the last 18 months? When you say "I cannot find," what exactly are you doing to look?

turgon wrote: »
    Have you looked at every post from every Lisbon thread in the last 18 months? When you say "I cannot find," what exactly are you doing to look?

Talking to people. Like I'm doing here. I'm raising the question.

Talking to people. Like I'm doing here. I'm raising the question.

You claimed that you found no one who voted No because of abortion first time around. Have you gone back in time and probed the Boardsies of times past? Just "talking to people" on an open thread isnt the kind of rigorous study that statistics necessitate. If you really wanted such data you would have to trawl old threads or send petitions via PM to No voters. People arent going to admit to voting No for abortion on an open thread, as they desire confidentiality.

And also, your statistical conclusions are fundamentally flawed. Your conclusion appears to be tthat: "Boards.ie Yes siders are wrong in giving abortion as a reason some people voted No because no Boards.ie user voted No because of abortion."

We need to be more rigorous, as statistics and maths demand rigor. Your statement should correctly read the following: "Boards.ie Yes siders are wrong in giving abortion as a reason some Boards.ie members voted No because no Boards.ie user on the EU forum I talked to voted No because of abortion." But then your argument falls apart because no one claims that Boards.ie users voted No because of Abortion, we apply this reason to the whole electorate.

So to rectify your statement in your favor it reads: "Boards.ie Yes siders are wrong in giving abortion as a reason some people voted No because no one I surveyed voted No because of abortion." In which case a "real world" survey with an adequate sample size of 500+ No voters is necessary. This is because Boards.ie, and the EU Forum, arent representative of the population.

:)

All very fancy crap, but it does nothing to address the question.

If abortion was such a prevalent reason why voters voted "No" and IT IS always dragged up as a reason why we "had" to vote again on Lisbon, then why is there such an absence of people saying that that was the reason the voted "No".

I should have. by now, met at least a few people who voted "No" because of abortion.

All very fancy crap, but it does nothing to address the question.

It does really. What you are proposing is effectively a statistical analysis of voter motive. I was merely pointing out how your analysis was flawed.
    If abortion was such a prevalent reason why voters voted "No" and IT IS always dragged up as a reason why we "had" to vote again on Lisbon, then why is there such an absence of people saying that that was the reason the voted "No".

Well this is the realm of opinion. I have 3 reasons for this. Firstly, given the Yes side bias here and the way that ignorance is looked so harshly down on, someone who voted No because of abortion is not going to admit it. In public at least. Which is why I suggested PMing people.

Secondly, the Boards.ie demographic is different to that of the general populace. Members are younger etc. Also on the EU forum the average poster is a lot more informed than the average elector. So a member of Boards is far more likely to know that abortion is not effected, and is thus less likely to base his vote on abortion.

Finally, anyone who did vote because of abortion isnt here anymore. You should have asked last week. These people arent interested in politics, they are only interested in pushing an agenda. A lot of posters will evaporate over the next few days, as they can no longer push their agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

The only organisation I saw actively concerned about abortion were COIR. Although, I did see Declan Ganley probed on the issue and as is his way he refused to state that abortion would not come in as a result of Lisbon.

For what its worth my aunt is in a right wing Catholic group called 'The Way' and she voted solely based on the abortion issue. But I can tell you now she does not represent any sort of a mainstream view - on any issue:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

having abortion as a choice is a good thing

having abortion as a choice is a good thing

Oh God, lets not start this again...

I should have. by now, met at least a few people who voted "No" because of abortion.

That depends on the circles within which you mix.
    I never met anyone who voted against the Good Friday Agreement on the basis that we were selling out to the Unionists but those who hold that view certainly do exist.

Its a big world out there. Just because you dont come across people who hold certain positins does not mean that they do not exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Look, you need to understand the mindset of groups like Coir and Catholic fundamentalists.

You probably should ask this question on Politics.ie as NO voters on here don't fall for crap like that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement