Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

landline rental cost reduction, question

• 04-10-2009 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

hi, i've currently got an eircom broadband package which i'm paying 55 per month which includes 25 euro for line rental. Last week i signed up for 3 mobile broadband to see what it's like... it'd do the job i guess, but it's only about 1mb speed. I don't think i can justify continuing to pay 55 per month for a sh*t eircom service, so my question is this - are there any timelines mentioned for a reduction in the cost of line rental ? i would stay with with a landline broadband service if the line rental cost wasn't so obscene, but right now i'm bordering on switching to 3, even though it's not so good.... i can't justify the extra 35 euro a month, it's just not value for money.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Take back the 3 modem if i were you,Switch your ISP and keep the landline,Mobile brosdband isn't thr best yet..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

i'm still within the trial period so i'll use the mobile broadband as much as possible and see how reliable and fast it is... it seems ok'ish for youtube videos and such. I compared other ISP's before getting the eircom package, but they actually offered the best value - 3mb for 30 euro per month... but as i said, it's the 25 euro rental on top of that which really turns me off, when i think that i only pay 25 euro for a great sky service each month. The cheapest landline dsl package is from imagine, at 15 per month, but that's still gonna be 40 euros including line rental which is twice what 3 charge !!

here's the original story i'm referring to, where Eircom were told to reduce rental costs... i don't see any timelines stated though - as usual !!

http://www.businessandleadership.com/news/article/15143/technology/eircom-ordered-to-reduce-line-costs-by-comreg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

You can't avoid the rental, but you need a view of the total costs. Eircom are not usually the cheapest, a 3Mb service should cost from €41 upwards in total, UTV charge €16.99. The rest are calls. It is very doubtful if you can make calls more cheaply from a mobile than a landline and people have to pay more to call you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Artful - I agree with you that Eircom's line rental is extortionate but I would think very very very carefully before going the mobile internet route. I'm a long-time mobile internet user (circumstances rather than a financial thing) and I would be very slow to advise anyone to go that route. I was with 3 about two years ago and it was absolutely shocking after the initial trial period finished. I then went to O2 which was reasonably stable until recently but now it's gone to hell in a handbag. It's like 3 all over again :mad:

The problem is that the more people who get rid of their landlines and go the mobile internet route, the worse it gets. Bad mobile internet means you have to reload web pages a lot, your email falls over and if you try to buy something online, you an't be sure that the transaction's gone through.

Have you tried shopping around the other ISPs? there may be some resellers cheaper in your area.

Current speed (I'm in a friend's house on their wi-fi)

582715673.png

A typical speedtest with my O2 mobile internet lately (and O2 are considered to be a better mobile internet provider than 3...)
    577183621.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Three is not Broadband in any shape or form, don't expect eircom PSTN line rental to drop in atleast the next 2 years...if ever

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I assume you have checked if UPC (Chorus/NTL) is available to you?

You don't need line rental with them.

Also the fixed wireless companies like Digiweb?

Advertisement