Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish GP's are to make a killing out of the H1N1 jab.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Then why do they keep telling people to not get the jab unless they need it? Reverse psychology?

And they're not going to make that much when you consider the amount of GP's in Ireland that and the small amount of people that'll get the jab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

simple arithmetic

if the doctor administers 1000 shots, that's €10,000 ;)

this whole ugly event is nothing but another opportunity for big pharma to skim money off the taxpayer.

i know people who already got the fekin thing and they recovered fine..so what was all this BS the media and governments were telling us about massive deaths?

Fear is the mindkiller, no doubt.

when can we get vaccine for corruption? doubt baxter will have one anytime soon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Martyr wrote: »
    simple arithmetic

if the doctor administers 1000 shots, that's €10,000 ;)

this whole ugly event is nothing but another opportunity for big pharma to skim money off the taxpayer.

i know people who already got the fekin thing and they recovered fine..so what was all this BS the media and governments were telling us about massive deaths?

Fear is the mindkiller, no doubt.

when can we get vaccine for corruption? doubt baxter will have one anytime soon...

All the media outlets are playing down the original fears and are reporting people with underlying illnesses are at risk. At the start it was feared there would be possibly large numbers dying but not anymore. They dont recommend the jab for everyone, just people at risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

A GP visit costs about €60, I'd imagine that the time taken to administer the vaccine, and sort the paperwork to get paid by the HSE, would take longer than 1/6 of the average length of a consultation.

So if a doctor see 6 patients for flu vaccines, it probably would take longer than seeing 7 patients for other consultations, but he'd make the same amount.

As cynical money making schemes go, it's not the best from the GPs perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

just wanna compare this to britland, where the media keep comparing irish gps to. gps in the nhs work in buildings funded by the nhs, they get SERIOUS grants from them to so they can keep updating their equipment and all that kinda stuff. in ireland, gps don't. they work in their own place or rent a place, and grants from the hse, well i've yet to hear of them.
    but seriously, 60 yoyo for a consultation is a mental..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Doctors in getting-paid-to-work shocker.

Where's the conspiracy in all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Hmmm, my girlfriend and myself both went to different gp's last week with flu symptoms and neither of us were given the jab. Mine laughed when I jokingly mentioned swine flu and said he doubted it and just told me to rest up.

I expect a thread in the next few days saying that doctors are not treating swine flu as part of a NWO plan to reduce population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Doctors in getting-paid-to-work shocker.

Where's the conspiracy in all this?

Think the conspiracy is that swine flu was created as a money maker no?

Personally I don't think the GPs have anything to do with the above conspiring.

What no body can deny is that the pharma companies are set to make millions from swine flu......make up your own minds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Think the conspiracy is that swine flu was created as a money maker no?

Personally I don't think the GPs have anything to do with the above conspiring.

What no body can deny is that the pharma companies are set to make millions from swine flu......make up your own minds.

I hadn't heard the conspiracy that GPs had released the swine flu. But if thats what it is, then so be it :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

To be perfectly honest- if I were a GP and was offered a tenner a pop to dispense swine flu vaccinations- unless I had some sort of assembly line approach to giving out the vaccine- I'd not be interested. Its more trouble than its worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

smccarrick wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest- if I were a GP and was offered a tenner a pop to dispense swine flu vaccinations- unless I had some sort of assembly line approach to giving out the vaccine- I'd not be interested. Its more trouble than its worth.

I tend to agree...they'd be better off financially sticking with the standard 60 yoyo visits.

But if you were a pharma company....you might be delighted at the idea of a worldwide pandemic boosting sales....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭granite man

I tend to agree...they'd be better off financially sticking with the standard 60 yoyo visits.

But if you were a pharma company....you might be delighted at the idea of a worldwide pandemic boosting sales....

Especially when they created it in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

I work in a busy surgery and at the moment the docs are administering the pneumo and flu vaccines. Three people fit in a half hour slot for this when 2 would usually be seen for a normal consultation (not including full checkups or bloodworks). You cannot just line people up and expect them all to arrive on time for consecutive jabbing. They still come in, files looked over by doc, vaccines prepared, given - takes about 10 minutes. In theory it should take less but in practice, no.
    Thus 3 x H1N1 fees = 30 euro per half hour
    versus 2x consultation fee = 110 euro per half hour

I am sure the GPs would prefer to forego this gravy train.

Although you could get a practice nurse in for a day to give them I suppose ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,496 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Wouldn't the money made from the treatment of the flu and the resulting conditions like pneumonia (which can take lengthy and expensive stays in hospital) far out weigh the small percentage the doctors actually receive from the price of the vaccine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭granite man

etymon wrote: »
    I work in a busy surgery and at the moment the docs are administering the pneumo and flu vaccines. Three people fit in a half hour slot for this when 2 would usually be seen for a normal consultation (not including full checkups or bloodworks). You cannot just line people up and expect them all to arrive on time for consecutive jabbing. They still come in, files looked over by doc, vaccines prepared, given - takes about 10 minutes. In theory it should take less but in practice, no.
    Thus 3 x H1N1 fees = 30 euro per half hour
    versus 2x consultation fee = 110 euro per half hour

I am sure the GPs would prefer to forego this gravy train.

Although you could get a practice nurse in for a day to give them I suppose ;)

Just out of interest do the pharma co's slip the odd backhander to the doc's practises in any form to help out with the losses the g.p's incur for this loss of revenue? ie, a discount on other medicines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Just out of interest do the pharma co's slip the odd backhander to the doc's practises in any form to help out with the losses the g.p's incur for this loss of revenue? ie, a discount on other medicines?

pharma companies dont pay GPs for anything, and doctors dont buy meds from pharma companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

sam34 wrote: »
    pharma companies dont pay GPs for anything, and doctors dont buy meds from pharma companies.
    Im sure the Pharma companies will milk the Government out of this one, us as tax payers footing the bill. The mark up on medics in this country is rife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Its the drug company that'll make the money from it. They won't be making money from me because I won't be getting any jab. Swine flu is basically normal flu but a bit stronger. Hyped up to the max.

• Advertisement
Advertisement