Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved House and Kitten (6 months old) will not eat!

Options
  • 04-10-2009 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

We have just moved house and our little Kitten will not eat and is just sleeping.. should we be worried or is this normal??? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

How old is the kitten and for how long has she not eaten?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

She could just be nervous/unsettled in new surroundings. Have you tried giving her even little bits of chicken or tuna to see if she'l eat that? Is she drinking as normal, id be more worried if she wasn't drinking water as she could get dehydrated very quickly. If it persists then bring her to the vets.
    Definetely don't let her outside for at least a week anyways until she get used to her new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Try and get the kitten to eat something. Boil a chicken breast or give a small bit of tuna. You shouldn't let your cat go more than 24 to 36 hrs without eating. It's also important that she is drinking too. Maybe try some whiskas milk with some kibble mushed into it. She is probably just unsettled with the move but if there is no sign of any change get her vet checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭rainshowers82

Thanks Guy's i have attempted to feed her chicken, Tuna etc..... she is only driking water she wont drink milk.. ill give her a day or two and then take her to vet :)

As long as she's drinking I wouldn't be too worried. Don't worry about her drinking water and not milk. Water is actually better for cats, and most of my father's cats will not drink milk at all.

As already suggested try giving her a little tuna. My guess is she'll be eating again in a couple of days

• Advertisement

Just another suggestion...if you feed her dry food try putting a little cod liver oil on it. I do this with one of my dogs who otherwise won't eat dry food at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

We have just moved house and our little Kitten will not eat and is just sleeping.. should we be worried or is this normal??? :(

I wouldn't worry about it. It will eat when it's hungry.
    May I recommend a small sliver of cheddar cheese. Use it as a play toy.
    Sometimes imitating a strike & kill will make a kitten eat. A sardine is always a good bait food.

The move, unfamilar surroundings, all very frightening. Gives lots of attention & TLC & it's appetite will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

Usually a move will prompt odd reactions from kitties.

I moved in May to a new apartment, & my cat, who usually likes to wander around herself & do what she pleases.. Spent the first morning there (the whole morning) under my blankets sleeping against my feet.
    When I got up then, she wouldn't budge, was really funny & cute though.

Which she never does, but now she's so used to it, she thinks she owns the place, got her little area's she likes to sleep now & everything :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I wouldn't reccomend giving the kitten milk, its not good for them as they like us are lactose intollerent for the most part, but much worse for them, no it wont kill them, but you dont want to be cleaning up pebbledashed floors. As for it not eating, same thing happend to all 3 of my cats when we moved, but after a while they soon adjusted and started eating like normal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

Hi Rainshowers. Try putting a little bit of butter on her two front paws. She will soon try to lick this off, and once a cat washes its paws anywhere it will feel at home. This is something they only do in a place that they feel is their own territory - it worked for my kitten last year when she was uprooted from home and homesick for her mother! Worth a try anyway...

• Advertisement
Advertisement