Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter or Tekken??

• 04-10-2009 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about getting a fighting game and so could you guys lemme know which one I should go for? The Street Fighter 4 game or the Tekken 6 game coming out for PS3...

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭johnl

Either Street Fighter 2 or Tekken 2 :)

But that's not what you asked.

I say Street Fighter 4. Tekken has run into the ground at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

sfiv imo. Btw theres a fighting game section http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1204

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

johnl wrote: »
    Either Street Fighter 2 or Tekken 2 :)

But that's not what you asked.

I say Street Fighter 4. Tekken has run into the ground at this stage.

Used to play SF2 a lot back in the days on a Sega Megadrive console...

But now looking for something new to go with the PS3...

And couldn't decide whether to put this in the playstation section or fighting section but as i was looking for a game for PS3, i decided to throw it in here!

Might try out SF4 if there's a demo online...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

SF IV by a mile..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Moved to fighting games forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It depends.

Do you like 2D fighters or 3D fighters?

Do your friends like 2D fighters or 3D fighters?

Would you be interested in meeting up with some of us for some games? (Get Street Fighter if the answer to this is yes.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

It depends.

Do you like 2D fighters or 3D fighters?

Do your friends like 2D fighters or 3D fighters?

Would you be interested in meeting up with some of us for some games? (Get Street Fighter if the answer to this is yes.)

I wouldn't say i'ld have a big preference between 2d or 3d fighters, i just like good graphics...

But I guess now I'm gonna get the Street Fighter game seeing its popularity down here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Get Tekken if you like rush down, sorta complex combo's? and 3d fighting games.. Personally I would think you would have a hard time pickin a character you would like to learn in Tekken 6 as there's.. what 60+ characters now? :confused:

Get SFIV if ya like to suss out who your playing, use tactics with a range of different caharacters.
    In SFIV you already know how to play since you played on the megadrive, you could pick up a shoto character and play away, or ya can play as one of the new characters who are pretty damn decent.. in all SFIV as 26 characters and SFIV would be my choice :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Shotopunx

Yo guys should I get chalk or cheese?

cheese tastes nicer, so yeah sf4 it is:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

For casual play I'd say Tekken is better. If you intend on learning one of them seriously I'd recommend SFIV.

Tekken just has more of a party feel to it. When I have friends over, SFIV lasts for about 10 minutes before I start up Tekken 5 and we end up playing that for hours. There's a better variety of characters and moves per character.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I tried really hard to like Tekken, I really did. I bought Tekken 3, 4 and 5 second hand. I just don't see the appeal.

For me SF4 without doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

OTOH, SFIV (and 2D in general) is miles easier to learn.
    You have 2-4 specials, 1 Super, 1 Ultra, and a few command moves.
    Then Jump moves have a few different properties, but all in all, a character can be learned in a few hours.

Now in Tekken, you have: Normals, Command Normals, Command Normal-> Throw, Throws, Command Throws, Strings, Strings with 2+ outcomes, Just-Frames...
    I´m no expert, but I guess it would take 2-3 days just to learn a character, and then to learn how to counter Move X of character Y or Z...

So yeah. 2D WILL NEVER DIE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

street fighter!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    cheese tastes nicer, so yeah sf4 it is:cool:
    You've got it backwards. Chalk is incredibly dry and therefore it would be SF4.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

As opposed to Tekken, which kinda smells funny and goes blue when you leave it out too long? Am I doing it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

tekken is too easy much more of a casual game
    ..... anyone can beast on anyone in tekken it seems, i know there is more to it than that but i have beaten people that play tekken as much as i play sf... and it doesnt happen the other way around:D

so it depends on how much time your willing to put in ya, if its casual go for tekken its flashy and shiny, and requires less time, effort and skill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Tekken for me, by far.

Never understood the appeal of Street Fighter series, it's so unrealistic, and the moveset is really limited.

Tekken feels more real, punches, kicks and everything "connect(land)" nicely, there is more feel to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Shotopunx

I don't think tekken is like that at all.

Tekken. Realistic.

Because having your arms broken by a boxing kangaroo after floating in the air for 5 seconds, then being smacked into the ground so hard tiles break, and getting up in 1 second is "realistic".
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

:D

I think Street Fighter is unique in that its a great casual game, hence why it was fantastic as kids. Once you can throw a fireball, you know that forever. While at the same time its a massively hard core deep fighting/strategy game for those that go beyond casual play.

I enjoyed Street Fighter from both these perspectives, for years it was just a fun game to whip out and play with my mates in a kind of retro relive the old '2d games' style way. Was only when I began playing 3s online against people that knew how to really play when I realised I never really knew the game at all. & thus I was blown away. It satisfied my urge for a really fast paced strategic online game.

Like a lot of people with the ps1, I did get into tekken 3 for awhile. Learning my long sting of combos. I remember trying it again a few years later and it just felt so damn 'meh' as I had forgotten all these combos stings I used to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Arctic Zombie

I much prefer Street Fighter to any other fighting game really. It's the perfect balance between being simple to play but also having a good amount of depth. The only other game I would really consider would be KOF.

Admittedly the last time I played Tekken was back on the PS1, but I've played other 3D fighters such as VF and DOA and they all seem to be about juggling the opponent or something, they just don't sit well with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Tekken. Realistic.

Because having your arms broken by a boxing kangaroo after floating in the air for 5 seconds, then being smacked into the ground so hard tiles break, and getting up in 1 second is "realistic".
    :pac:

It's still real to me damn it!
    Its-Still-Real-to-Me-Dammit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

SF is much, much, much, much better.......but that said, I'd be happy to see Bryan Fury on the SF Roster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BleedTheF!FtH

There is simply no comparrison,
    street fighter is by FAR a better game.

Anyone can be good at tekken by mashing.
    Sf4 requires practice, timing and actually figuring out your enemy.
    I still love tekken but no way can it ever be compared to street fighter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Any1 can be good at tekken by mashing?
    Really?
    You pretty much know nothing at all like. You can be more effective at SF4 just learing the basic moves and sitting in a corner.
    You can beat other mashers by mashing in Tekken, that is all
    And the ten strings are not used by people who actually know how to play, much like the combo throws, they are beginner stuff!
    There are very few people that can play Tekken here, under 10 that even have any understanding of it I would say. That said Tekken 6 is a step backwards from t5 DR, that was brilliantly balanced and by far the biggest fighting game in Japan when it was out.

Tekken 6 might be a bit unbalanced, but T6:BR is insanely good.
    And also the biggest fighting game in Japan since last year ;)

And I've tried playing T5 after some sessions on T6 -- T5 feels terrible now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

There is simply no comparrison,
    street fighter is by FAR a better game.

Anyone can be good at tekken by mashing.
    Sf4 requires practice, timing and actually figuring out your enemy.
    I still love tekken but no way can it ever be compared to street fighter

Completely 100% false.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

tekken is a bit of fun for me, but as far as I'm concerned the learning curve is just too steep to get either me or plenty of other new players into it.

Advertisement