Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I ordered some stuff from Xoxide.com..

Options
  • 04-10-2009 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I'm pretty happy with the prices there, picked up a load of water cooling parts and the Thermaltake Aquabay M5 kit, as well as a PC case and power supply for my girlfriends new pc. The order total came to $284.34, with $76 being shipping costs. That's all grand. However, they didn't give me a shipping option other than the non trackable one.. which I found rather odd, so I'm met with

Order Status:
    Tracking: Order Date:10/01/2009

Which I suppose I can't really do much about... but here's the bit I really need some advice/help on.. I was reading through their shipping info and found

Please also note that the customer is responsible for any applicable import taxes, duties or other fees associated with receiving an international shipment.

Does anybody have any idea if and how much import/duty/taxes will be applied to my order? :confused: I know bugger all about tax. I tried asking a friend and all he said was if I paid VAT on the order then there shouldn't be import tax but that doesn't really make sense to me.. I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Tax thread or here, but I figured here as it's more likely someone has experience with overseas orders!

Thanks in advance,
    Marc :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I reckon its the usual 21%.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Marcface

Crud.. hope it doesn't arrive before I have cash on me in that case..

Marcface wrote: »
    Crud.. hope it doesn't arrive before I have cash on me in that case..

I think you get like a months leeway to pay them but not every parcel gets checked :)

Thanks a million for the help Venom :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I got caught buy this lately, they charge different rates for different types of goods I think its 10% for electronic goods, but they'll charge a handling and stationary fee as You didn't declare it. They usually just make up a figure and its up to You to question it if You wish, but they'll win in the end. Items that originally cost $245 including shipping ended up costing me €50 extra, cash on delivery to the courier.

Was it UPS delivery? UPS present everything to customs, from what I've read everything gets caught with UPS. You live & learn

• Advertisement

The annoying bit is, I'm actually not sure. It just gave me one option. "Europe 2-5 days"

In the order it's listed as

Via Europe 2-5 Day

and in their shipping policy they have the following

International: Xoxide offers FedEx and US Postal Service shipping options to most international locations. FedEx delivery takes 1-4 business days and is tracked and insured. US Postal Service shipping options are NOT tracked or insured and though it is highly reliable, it is not recommended for time-sensitive or valuable shipments. We offer USPS shipping as a most economical option for our international customers. Please allow 1-3 weeks for typical delivery.

Which again, isn't really helpful and doesn't clear up anything. They don't list DHL however so I take it that's a good thing..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sorry, meant to say UPS in the last post. UPS present everything to the customs, they've also closed most of their Irish operation and will use some other courier to get the item to You, but You'll loose tracking as soon as it arrives in Ireland.
    http://www.herald.ie/world-news/delivery-firm-cuts-200-jobs-1867162.html

I think You could be ok though, FedEx don't present to customs from what I've read (although customs may still check it randomly) and I'm nearly sure USPS is the just the US postal service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I'd say that they've just changed the delivery process and never updated the info on it!

Customs will charge you for any good bought outside the EU which is of value more than €22 with a standard €6 handling fee added on to the vat rate. Any goods which cost more than €150 are subject to specific costs depending on the cost and type of good...

We love you Customs!!!!

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Sorry, meant to say UPS in the last post. UPS present everything to the customs, they've also closed most of their Irish operation and will use some other courier to get the item to You, but You'll loose tracking as soon as it arrives in Ireland.
    http://www.herald.ie/world-news/delivery-firm-cuts-200-jobs-1867162.html

Ahhh.. well I assume it's not UPS as I haven't been given any tracking info whatsoever..
    I'd say that they've just changed the delivery process and never updated the info on it!

Customs will charge you for any good bought outside the EU which is of value more than €22 with a standard €6 handling fee added on to the vat rate. Any goods which cost more than €150 are subject to specific costs depending on the cost and type of good...

We love you Customs!!!!

Thanks for that Effluo, the cost of the goods in Euros totals 142.88 (minus shipping) so that's under the 150 mark which means it shouldn't get a special rate..? This tax thing is extremely confusing.. I couldn't work out the Revenue website enough to actually find what I'm looking for o.O

My aunt is a senior officer in the Dept. of Justice and even she can't work out the Revenue site :p

Thanks alot for the help here guys :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Oh yeah and i should say that they'll actually send you a letter saying that "We have impounded your goods please confirm how much they cost you ladidadida..." Not sure if you're out of the woods with you not including shipping thingy! I'm pretty sure they'd add the shipping on :(

I have heard of a lot of people that when they request to see the invoices of the goods, they change the invoice of the good to say that it's actually cheaper than it was...
    Those terrible tax cheating B****RDS

• Advertisement

Effluo wrote: »
    Oh yeah and i should say that they'll actually send you a letter saying that "We have impounded your goods please confirm how much they cost you ladidadida..." Not sure if you're out of the woods with you not including shipping thingy! I'm pretty sure they'd add the shipping on :(

I have heard of a lot of people that when they request to see the invoices of the goods, they change the invoice of the good to say that it's actually cheaper than it was...
    Those terrible tax cheating B****RDS

Yeessss.. terrible.. tax cheating b****rds.. changing invoices.. tut tut.. *begins forgery* :cool:

Impounding my goods? Jesus that's a bit extreme.. I mean, I've imported a box of near 300 1.6mm catheter needles with no trouble whatsoever (piercing supplies), I mean, that's 300 lazer sharpened IV needles, and not a thing was said, but I can't import a pc case and pump without having customs have a fit..? I love Ireland I do.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Ahhh.. well I assume it's not UPS as I haven't been given any tracking info whatsoever..

Thanks for that Effluo, the cost of the goods in Euros totals 142.88 (minus shipping) so that's under the 150 mark which means it shouldn't get a special rate..? This tax thing is extremely confusing.. I couldn't work out the Revenue website enough to actually find what I'm looking for o.O

My aunt is a senior officer in the Dept. of Justice and even she can't work out the Revenue site :p

Thanks alot for the help here guys :pac:

FYI, shipping costs are included in the taxable amount.

Yeessss.. terrible.. tax cheating b****rds.. changing invoices.. tut tut.. *begins forgery* :cool:

Impounding my goods? Jesus that's a bit extreme.. I mean, I've imported a box of near 300 1.6mm catheter needles with no trouble whatsoever (piercing supplies), I mean, that's 300 lazer sharpened IV needles, and not a thing was said, but I can't import a pc case and pump without having customs have a fit..? I love Ireland I do.. :(

It depends where the needles came from tbh as its when you import from a non EU country you can get hit for the vat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Protip:

There is a woman in the states that runs a company, where she will order the items to her, repackage them and ship them to you, some how avoiding customs. I believe a user here called l31mr0d has used them before.

Anti wrote: »
    Protip:

There is a woman in the states that runs a company, where she will order the items to her, repackage them and ship them to you, some how avoiding customs. I believe a user here called l31mr0d has used them before.

If this super secret way involves writing "Gift" on the package its just the same as the retailer doing the same. Customs are wide to the amount of "Gifts" coming in from Asia and the US these days.

Soooo.. after an email or two to Xoxide, I got the following response re: the actual shipping method:

Hello,
    Thank you for contacting Xoxide.com.

The delivery method used for this is FedEx.

So with that on board, I head over to FedEx and look up their shipping services, and find the FedEx International Economy®: within 5 business days

which states in 'Other Information' that it is a "customs-cleared service."

So I googled this, and discovered this means that customs clearance and brokerage fees are covered in the cost of the shipping. Duties and Foreign taxes will be billed to the customer.

I guess, I'm simply screwed, and will end up paying about €50. Which, considering my order is about €150, that's a disgusting 33% (ish) additional charge. Leaving me wondering, why the f**k bother ordering from the US.. oh.. wait.. perhaps this is the aim of said taxes.. *;) @ the Tax Collector*

So, plan from now on is, buy mac find a better store in Europe...

:pac:

Mucho thankso's for all the help though folks, very much appreciated. Off to Komplett I go tomorrow to pick up the MSI-770-C45 and AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition for the girlfriends birthday present. Speaking of which, I have no experience whatsoever with Phenoms, of any type. Could anybody give me a bit of personal insight..? :cool:

Ahhh the follow up..

Here's a lovely bunch of drama to finalise this thread. I was finally sent an email this morning, containing nothing more than a tracking number. I went and used my tracking number on the FedEx website, and oh my lord.. did I get a surprise..

Lets just take a moment to be reminded, I live in Sandymount, Dublin. Ireland. Y'know, Europe.

Well, here's what I got to read in my tracking information.

Oct 6, 2009 4:58 PM
    Picked up
    WEST PALM BEACH, FL
    Oct 6, 2009 5:46 PM
    Arrived at FedEx location
    WEST PALM BEACH, FL
    Oct 6, 2009 9:15 PM
    Left FedEx origin facility
    WEST PALM BEACH, FL
    Oct 7, 2009 1:27 AM
    ORLANDO, FL
    Oct 7, 2009 1:49 PM
    Departed FedEx location
    ORLANDO, FL
    Oct 8, 2009 7:45 PM
    WILLINGTON, CT
    Oct 9, 2009 12:14 AM
    Departed FedEx location
    WILLINGTON, CT
    Oct 9, 2009 1:27 AM
    At local FedEx facility
    AUBURN, MA
    Oct 9, 2009 4:16 AM
    On FedEx vehicle for delivery
    AUBURN, MA
    Oct 9, 2009 8:39 AM
    Delivered
    Leicester, MA
    Left at front door
    . Signature Service not requested.

Tell me, can you spot the problem?

I am, EXTREMELY, pissed.

And what was the response from Xoxide.com?
    I will have someone check on this tomorrow for you and let you know the situation.

Kind regards

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Oh dear oh dear:eek:
    If i where you i would be at little agrieved to say the least.How the fook can they deliver to the wrong country?
    Is there any chance you can cancel order and get a refund from these idoits?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Maybe they just sent you the wrong tracking number?
    It seasier for a numpty to mistype the tracking number then it is for Fed-Ex to deliver a package to the wrong country, I hope. :confused:

Lads, something weird has happened. After the previous feck-up with the tracking number happened, I checked the status of my 3v voucher to make sure I was charged right, for some reason, during the last 2 weeks, they declined the payment :confused: (Xoxide). I was refunded it onto my voucher. Rather than lose my cool with them, I went and ordered what I needed from Specialtech (Who's prices are AMAZING. I was well happy, however, 4 days now and they've not even dispatched the stuff :P )
    So that was grand. Then, something REALLY weird happened today. I checked my email, and got the following:
    Thank you for your purchase from FSPilotshop and welcome to the FSPilotshop community.
    Your order has been shipped and you should be receiving it shortly. You may track your package at
    http://www.fedex.com/Tracking?action=track&language=english&cntry_code=us&initial=x&tracknumbers=xxxxxxxxxxxx .
    Not all tracking information appears immediately, so please wait 24 hours for activity to appear.
    If you have questions about this tracking information, please contact FedEx directly at 1-800-GO FEDEX. We hope you enjoy your FSPilotshop products and please let us know if you have any comments or questions.

Please be sure to visit www.FSPilotshop.com often for product information and even more innovative products!

Sincerely,
    The FSPilotshop Sales Staff

Now.. who the hell are FSPilotshop?! And why'd they give me my tracking number?! The tracking number relates to 20kg's of a package, in 2 parts, being sent from Florida (where Xoxide are) to Dublin, IE, where I am, it's definitly my order!
    Then I get the following email.
    This tracking update has been requested by:
    Company Name: EDIMENSIONAL INC Name: SHIPPING E-mail: ________________________________________________________________________________
    SHIPPING of EDIMENSIONAL INC sent xxxx xxxxxx 2 FedEx International Economy package(s). This shipment is scheduled to be sent on 10/13/2009.
    Master tracking number: xxxxxxxxxxxx Tracking number: xxxxxxxxxxxx (2 of 2)
    To track the latest status of your shipment, click on the tracking number above,
    or visit us at fedex.com. Learn more about new ways to track with FedEx. This tracking update has been sent to you by FedEx on the behalf of the
    Requestor noted above.

Who the hell are Edimensional Inc?! They're not Xoxide either! Yet it's the same package! Same tracking number?!

THEN I get an email from Xoxide.com.
    Thank you for your order. This will arrive to you this week. I will get you the tracking information tomorrow.

Kind regards

I've no idea what the hell is going on. I then went and checked my 3v voucher, and they've tried recharging me?! Which is very odd, considering the goods are in transit in Memphis, Tennessee!! This is the most insane experience I've ever had ordering anything online...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

I love a good mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Holy ****ing ******* crap, that is some messed up **** right there...

Sorry to hear about this insane drama Marc o.O!!

Do please keep us updated.

While this is obviously of zero use to you now, I have ordered a number of different things from the states in the past and honestly, each time I walked funny for a month after customs had its way with me. *shakes head*

(damn language filter around here is strong ^^ excuse my potty mouth, im drugged up atm)

swirlser wrote: »
    Holy ****ing ******* crap, that is some messed up **** right there...

Sorry to hear about this insane drama Marc o.O!!

Do please keep us updated.

While this is obviously of zero use to you now, I have ordered a number of different things from the states in the past and honestly, each time I walked funny for a month after customs had its way with me. *shakes head*

(damn language filter around here is strong ^^ excuse my potty mouth, im drugged up atm)

Bahahaha... :D Well said my good sir, well said!! Don't worry I'll keep this thread updated until this whole thing comes to an end because it's honestly mind boggling trying to comprehend just what the hell they've actually done, involving 3 different company names and sending me €200 of stuff with no charge at the end of it. :eek:

Advertisement